Weight Lifting Effects.

Posted by: Avalox

Weight Lifting Effects. - 07/13/05 02:39 AM

Im probably gona get flamed by this topic but i really need to know, will weight lifting make you shorter? or "stunt" your growth? Yes it depends on age, i am a 15 year old male and i feel i will grow taller soon, so will weight lifting affect my height? if so, Is there any doctors or researchers that have proof of this? is this a true statment?
Posted by: Tezza

Re: Weight Lifting Effects. - 07/13/05 02:12 PM

Who told you that?
I am 16 now and have been doing intense weight lifting for a year now and have not had any troubles with my height.
Please remember if you are going to start weight lifting start off small and gradually increase dont just jump in or your will injure yourself.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Weight Lifting Effects. - 07/15/05 09:07 AM

No. But I would advise reading up, asking your dad and or join the weight lifting program at school, because any injuries that happen will hurt health rather then enhance it obviously.
Posted by: changyu

Re: Weight Lifting Effects. - 07/17/05 05:52 PM

I haven't done any real research on this subject, but from my experience, this isn't true. I think this is a point of view that has developed because many younger people who have muscular bodies are shorter. But don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying that they're shorter BECAUSE they work out or have relatively large muscles for their age.

For the average male, it is relatively difficult to develop a lot of bulk before they have finished growing taller. Usually guys get taller and then they fill out. Those who stop growing in height early on, however, have a chance to fill out their body with muscles earlier than those who are still growing. That is why, at least I think, many younger musclar type guys are shorter, because they have already stopped growing taller and their bodies can focus all the nutritional intake on growing muscles.

Of course, there are always a few hormonal freaks who grow tall AND huge at the same time, but I think this is the exception to the rule.
Posted by: nowayaswaylee

Re: Weight Lifting Effects. - 07/18/05 02:47 AM

USE GOOD TECHNQIUE!!!!! that is so important! due to improper technique, i have injured myself seaveal times in the last year! and each time i injure myself it takes at least a month before i can lift again!
Posted by: Hunter

Re: Weight Lifting Effects. - 07/20/05 07:39 PM

Its an important question. You should be fine, but remeber unlike us old men, injuries from weight lifting will stunt a still growing body. Go for it, just be carefull.
Posted by: majorflux

Re: Weight Lifting Effects. - 08/11/05 06:24 PM

weightlifting might affect your height as it compress your spinal column. Go to http://www.giantscientific.com it has a lot of info on exercises and height increase tips
Posted by: CobraLionz

Re: Weight Lifting Effects. - 10/07/05 05:42 PM

I don't think anyone can really say they know the answer to this question. Remember, everyone has a unique body. I err on the safe side and recommend against it. You have your whole life to gain strength but once you stunt your growth that is it! BTW, short bodybuilders always get teasted.
Posted by: HATT0R1_HANZ0

Re: Weight Lifting Effects. - 10/19/05 08:14 PM

ANSWER IS...

NO its not going to restrict your height, or make you slower,clumsy,less flexable(unless your big and good enough to compete on a pro stage)

you "will" develop more control over your body,increasing strength,speed and flexability...(always strech your muscles between sets when you train)

if you dont know what your doing at all
try to get someone that knows what hes doing...

train heavy,train hard,...and stay clean

good luck!
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Weight Lifting Effects. - 10/21/05 09:59 PM

Quote:

weightlifting might affect your height as it compress your spinal column. Go to http://www.giantscientific.com it has a lot of info on exercises and height increase tips

Majorly misinformed. Weightlifting incorrectly can give you bad posture, possibly leading to a slight hunchback but if you lift correctly there should be no problems for an adult or older teenager weightlifting. Unless you have an accident your spine should not be compressed at all.
Posted by: Alex89

Re: Weight Lifting Effects. - 10/22/05 02:59 PM

I've been doing weightlifting for a year now(when I was 15). When I started I was 5 ft 10, now i'm 6 ft.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Weight Lifting Effects. - 10/24/05 04:21 PM

I don't think weightlifting adds to your height I think gentics is the dominitate factor there, but weight training will add to overall strength, bulk and muscularity.

Also if you stop weight training it goes away quickly. Unlike internal strengthen attained by MA training. Weight training if done properly can be very benifical, unchecked it can lead to back problems and torn ligiments.
Posted by: TaeKwonMiles

Re: Weight Lifting Effects. - 11/19/05 11:02 PM

Yeah im 17 now and 6'4 205lbs. Ive heard that weight lifting stunts your growth if you start before puberty but I started lifting weights when i was 9.
Posted by: karates_awesome

Re: Weight Lifting Effects. - 11/22/05 10:57 PM

I have heard that it only stunts your growth if you injure your growth plate. And that, that is normally caused from maxing out or lifting incorrectly.