City Jumping

Posted by: Kintama

City Jumping - 05/04/05 11:11 AM

Great uses of body mechanics. Do you think this is real or special effects? looks real to me...
City Jumping
Posted by: EvilLion

Re: City Jumping - 05/04/05 01:50 PM

Yep, that's real. This video missed out the beginning where you saw the people training in their gym. I think they're french, if I remember correctly. They were jumping around the rooftops in London, England.

Just a little snippet of fact there!
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: City Jumping - 05/04/05 09:15 PM

! Paradoxbox had previously said that there were guys at his dojo who were able to ukemi smoothly from amazing heights, and I was curious to see what it looked like. Well, I think I know now...

EvilLion, are these guys the French group known as the "Yamakazi"?
Posted by: JoelM

Re: City Jumping - 05/04/05 10:04 PM

http://www.urbanfreeflow.com/

Check these guys out. Also search for "Parkour" on the internet or in filesharing programs and you'll find some more great stuff. I believe it is french for "the route/path."
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: City Jumping - 05/05/05 01:59 AM

This fad originated in France about 3-4 years ago. They meet to recon & establish a route through the city (it isn't random but carefully planned) then they go for it. Seems to be spreading through Europe - those wacky Euro's.

Great stuff - real-life Spidermen.
Posted by: 1st Round KO

Re: City Jumping - 05/05/05 01:22 PM

i think its referred to as Free Running...these guys are pretty crazy. its only a matter of time before someone dies.
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: City Jumping - 05/05/05 02:15 PM

Impressive, but crazy, nonetheless

Re: City Jumping - 05/05/05 08:40 PM

Quote:

its only a matter of time before someone dies.

Only because there will be kids who see these videos online and say "hey, I can do that!!" With proper training and a stable mind, this hobby/lifestyle can be just as safe as Martial Arts. Even safer considering you don't have to worry about another person trying to hurt you "with control.".

Honestly I think that this is one of the coolest things I've seen. I would love to have a place to be able to do things like this.
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: City Jumping - 05/05/05 10:05 PM

Quote:

This fad originated in France about 3-4 years ago. They meet to recon & establish a route through the city (it isn't random but carefully planned) then they go for it. Seems to be spreading through Europe - those wacky Euro's.

If they're the ones I think, they have actually existed for longer than that but became famous only a few years ago indeed, due to a movie featuring them. I hear the movie was crap, by the way (apart from their stunts, I guess...).
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: City Jumping - 05/06/05 07:18 PM

I'm impressed, and I don't impress easily!

Not a lot of margin for error in some of those moves!

It comes down to the classic youthful balance: Balls versus Brains. They have too much of one and not enough of the other!

Page
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: City Jumping - 05/09/05 04:01 PM

Take a look at their training regiment. Seems pretty in keeping with typical breakfalls to me. The balancing stuff is like circus stuff and the rest is gymnastics.

http://www.urbanfreeflow.com/fundamentals/fundamentals.htm

I'd love to give it a go.
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: City Jumping - 05/09/05 04:40 PM

I used to be like that when I was little, always jumping from high places, naturally learning to roll and use my momentum etc.

The key seems to be obviously training: acrobatic skills, conditioning etc's (the legs, the knees, developing jumping power), coordination, balanace etc. Then in actual body mechanics, using momentum derived from actions to continue doing what your doing (landing, rolling keep running, running on wall, land, keep jumping), knee bending to achieve maximum vertical, and to land properly, rolling with the momentum so as to not hurt yourself, etc.
Posted by: shorin-ji

Re: City Jumping - 05/10/05 05:08 PM

ive actually dont the most injuring of myself doing free running by rolling on pavement. does anyone have any suggestions on how to help not scarching up my back because ive been just landing on my feet and i am constantly hurting them because i am scared to roll after I scrached the s**t out of my sholder when i jumped off of a wall in china town.
Posted by: lilbossman

Re: City Jumping - 07/27/05 10:42 PM

I was just wondering what kinds of exercises or drills I should do if i wanted to try it out
Posted by: McSensei

Re: City Jumping - 07/30/05 09:59 PM

I'm with you on that.
In my youth I was fairly nimble toed and would work my way around the area I lived on rooftops, walls, fences and the like. Looking now, at some of the places I used to climb and jump over, it gives me horrors.
Ten foot tall and bulletproof, that's youthfulness for you.
Posted by: Cord

Re: City Jumping - 07/31/05 05:33 AM

There is a map from the 19th century drawn by a group of students at cambridge university that shows how to get from one side of the city to the other by rooftop alone. It is no longer relevant due to urban change, but it shows how far back the thinking goes on this subject.
I would ask anyone who decides to give 'free running' a try, to respect private property and those who are responsible for it. As a security officer I am always civil to groups such as these in requesting they cease using property I look after as an adventure playground, yet I often to not have my politeness returned.
Posted by: Prometej

Re: City Jumping - 07/31/05 08:00 AM

It came to Croatia too. It all looks great and would like to do it but i think i`ll rather use the elevator

Re: City Jumping - 08/01/05 10:35 AM

I wouldn't try to use private property, but there is this huge playground near me that I'm thinking about trying out some stuff on...
Posted by: VS_Karateka

Re: City Jumping - 10/04/05 07:19 AM

Quote:

Yep, that's real. This video missed out the beginning where you saw the people training in their gym. I think they're french, if I remember correctly. They were jumping around the rooftops in London, England.

------------------------------------------------------------
Yep your right, it was on about a year ago on C4 it was called 'Jump London'. They are French and it all started when they were at school. They had a circle of concrete benches in the playground and, as kids do, realized if they ran fast enought they could jump from one bench to the other and coninue running round the whole circle.....amazing to think such a simple thing can grow into somehting so cool, I'd love to give it a go!!! Have a funny feeling I'd end up on my face
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: City Jumping - Parkour - 01/17/09 06:45 PM

it's been a few years since this thread and I know Parkour has picked up steam in popularity.

informal University Parkour clubs seem to be springing up (no pun intended).

has/does anyone train in this? what is your impression of the training methods, injury rates, strengthening/conditioning results?, etc...
Posted by: Ames

Re: City Jumping - Parkour - 01/17/09 09:38 PM

Ed, I'm probably not the best to answer this because I haven't tried it myself. Saying that, I did watch the U of T Parkour club practice every week, and talked to quite a few of the members, because they practiced at my favorite (warm weather) study spot.

I have to say that these guys are extremely well conditioned. They start practice off with a twenty minute run, take a water break, then do sprints, pushups, and squats. After that, most of their conditioning is done by using the space around them as an apparatus. After the new guys learn the basics of break falling, they begin to work on jumping. Initially, they just jump from a squat position across the grass, then roll and stand. After a little of that, they find a path that is lower than the surrounding ground, and jump from side to side, landing in a breakfall. They also hop up stairs, taking them two at a time. There is a large statue in the park, and some of the more advanced guys use that in various ways, for pullups, as well as balancing on. I saw a few use a tree stump to do a headstand on, and then do raises in that position. They also practice railing jumping, initially not to high up, but as they progress they go higher and higher up the stairs. It was amazing to see people who had little strength at the beginning, being able to bound up a stair rail in five or six leaps, hoping to either side, in a matter of a month.

The training leader seemed to have things fairly well organized, and it does seem that they follow a pretty tight protocol, taking someone from beginner to advanced.

Aside from the training sessions, they meet in the park, warm up, and then go for a free run. These guys put ninja's to shame.

As for injuries, apparently they are pretty common. Mostly twisted ankles, and sprained wrists--but occasionally concussions, and cuts that need stitches.

Here are a few videos that show the potential dangers of this sport very clearly. They highlight the need to actually learn from someone who knows what they are doing. Warning, some of this stuff hurts just to watch...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=vME2BBzxK38

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezi04hhcYm4

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=P4wOByXdM1M

--Chris
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: City Jumping - Parkour - 03/13/09 04:38 AM

extreme game of tag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qhgIdP3l3I&feature=related

David Belle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x98jCBnWO8w&feature=related

Russian Ninja's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQNt64PxfE&feature=related
Posted by: DavidMcF

Re: City Jumping - Parkour - 07/01/09 01:02 PM

I train Parkour myself, very intensively.

I've trained for around 3 years now, with a huge amount of strength building along with it. I'll tell you right now this has been hugely more beneficial to me than any martial arts class.

I train twice weekly, Thursdays and Saturdays. These are my days where I just go out and practice my Parkour, a lot of strength is required. When I first started Parkour I was pretty young, but really weak. The massive gains I have made from Parkour have been well... massive! My bodyweight strength is quite high and since my relatively recent move to weights as well my strength level has exploded!

Injuries are really down to yourself. If you're injured it is almost always your own fault. Any of the times I've been injured have been down to not concentrating enough or just plain silliness.

I am self-taught, as when I first started the Parkour scene in Britain was quite small. This meant that although I made mistakes early on, I feel it allowed me to build my bodyweight strength quite effectively. Since there was no-one telling me HOW to do things, therefore I had to work it all out by myself using my own resources. These days there is a wealth of information, help and information for new practitioners. However! I digress, Parkour is excellent, open for all ages. The age range in my local community (http://www.glasgowparkour.co.uk/) is quite large, from 13 to 30!

Myself, I am 17. Anyone with an interest in this I urge you to try it out! I know many of you are from America so I recommend taking a look at http://www.americanparkour.com/

however my favourite Parkour website is based in Britain and has the most experienced practitioners in the world active on it:
http://www.parkourgenerations.com/

I'm open to any other questions people may want answered, also the websites I've linked to have a large amount of information as does the Wikipedia article.

Cheers,

David
Posted by: TheCrab

Re: City Jumping - Parkour - 07/07/09 10:48 AM

Im into it a bit as a hobby
not so much parkour as tricking, but its easily intergrated.
good fun til your knees wear out laugh
Posted by: DavidMcF

Re: City Jumping - Parkour - 07/07/09 04:40 PM

your knees only wear out if you don't condition properly smile

see this; http://blane-parkour.blogspot.com/2007/04/dilution.html