How to transition to another martial art?

Posted by: KeyDoe

How to transition to another martial art? - 06/21/12 02:25 PM

Hello everyone.

I have been studying Muay Thai for about 5 years. I loved every second of it. Recently, over the past 10 years, I have had to go inactive due to personal and financial reasons, and I haven't been able to train for that long. It has been some time.

Over that time, I did do some research on different martial arts, and I came across a WuShu school in my area. I am interested in learning that martial art, but I do have an issue.

I feel that I have so much more to learn in Muay Thai. I got to black belt, but I feel there is so much more that I can learn.

I don't have the finances to be paying for both WuShu and Muay Thai classes. Not only that, but I would feel like I wasted my entire time training in Muay Thai just to switch to a different martial art. I liked Muay Thai, and I would love to return, but WuShu interests me a bit more now that I am older.

I just... I would feel that since I am a black belt in Muay Thai, a transition to a new martial art would be so much... well... it would be weird. I would have to start from white belt all over again, and I feel like I am giving up on more Muay Thai training that I can do. I would love to return to Muay Thai as well, but I don't have the money for it.

How do you all face transitions? Does starting from white belt over again have an affect on you like it does me? I would be a complete beginner in a new style, and all the 5 years I dedicated to Muay Thai, I would feel like it was a waste of time now if I don't return.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: How to transition to another martial art? - 06/22/12 12:07 AM

I switched from Iaido to Aikido and started from white belt again.

It goes with the switch.

You have not lost anything. You would be gaining new.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: How to transition to another martial art? - 06/22/12 05:25 AM

It wouldn't bother me (being a white belt again). People get too focused on results and belts. It's more important to focus on learning and doing something you enjoy, something you are passionate about. People go mountain climbing and and cycling without the need to get belts. They just enjoy it.

Additionally, you won't know if you enjoy Wushu until you try it.

I spoke to a BJJ black belt once, took him 9 years to get his black belt. He said he never worried about belts because he loved his training so much and he trained almost everyday.

If you find something you love doing, what belt you are won't matter. If you are just training to collect belts, you will find it hard to stay motivated during training IMO.
Posted by: gojuman59

Re: How to transition to another martial art? - 06/22/12 09:09 AM

I agree with Prize. After reaching dan rank in one art I was at first a little put out starting over as a white belt. I got over it quickly. It's the journey , not the destination. I actually found it liberating to just be one of the kyus. It also put my ego in a better place.

Mark
Posted by: iaibear

Re: How to transition to another martial art? - 06/22/12 05:47 PM

It is nice being a kyu.

I added Aikido to my "arsenal" in 1994. Currently my belt is still, let's call it beige.
Posted by: choonbee

Re: How to transition to another martial art? - 06/22/12 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: KeyDoe
Does starting from white belt over again have an affect on you like it does me?

And what effect is that exactly?
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: How to transition to another martial art? - 06/22/12 09:14 PM

While I understand the personal impulse to start over, I have never understood instructors expecting black belts from another style asking people to put on white belts.

If a black belt walks through my door, I want to know what he knows, and learn from him if I can, I mean if someone walks through the door and actually knows a thing ot two, it is foolish to not take advantage of that in deference to some kind of "style -ism".

Asking people to ditch their previous experiences is not cool IMO. Of course there are McDojo exceptions, but personally I believe it's best to respect someone's expenditure of time and effort.

I willingly put on a white belt when starting Goju after years of Shorin Ryu..notably though, my teacher had told me it was fine to keep my brown belt in Shorin if I wanted. I am not sure how I would have reacted if he actually instructed me that I had no choice but to wear a white belt.

ON a personal level though, you should just do what you enjoy and not worry about it..like everyone else is saying.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: How to transition to another martial art? - 06/23/12 12:47 AM

I woulld consider it a non issue. The fact of the matter is, regardless of belt color, a person knows what they know and can do what they do. No color could ever take that away. My advice for you is to go to the wushu school. I say this, so that you can be exposed tonew things,and because though you love muay Thai, from your post it doesnt sound like you have been training it on your own in your down time, so perhaps you have been looking for something else for some time.
Posted by: choonbee

Re: How to transition to another martial art? - 06/23/12 05:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Chen Zen
from your post it doesnt sound like you have been training it on your own in your down time, so perhaps you have been looking for something else for some time.

^This^

I was wondering about that as well.
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: How to transition to another martial art? - 06/25/12 06:52 AM

Consider This I am the Senior Instructor of MY School but I wear a White Belt in Judo!

I have no issues with this as in Judo I am that, Just a beginner

Enjoy it and as I was told when I joined the Judo Class is "Leave you Karate/Muay Thai at the Door"! in other words empty your cup so you can fill it again