Martial Arts for Short Guys

Posted by: throwawaybaby

Martial Arts for Short Guys - 09/07/11 10:13 PM

I'm 5' 5" and looking for a martial art that would be good for street fighting and self defense. I'd like a punching element to that martial art.

I've done research and have a few thoughts of my own but I'm curious what's the general consensus here.
Posted by: duanew

Re: Martial Arts for Short Guys - 09/08/11 05:40 AM

Suggestions for street fighting-don't. You'll just hurt yourself and the street will remain the same. Not sure what the street did to make you want to fight it in the first place.
Perhaps your percieved lack of height makes you over compensate by being overly aggressive towards public thoroughfares. But, if you must start out small, sidewaks, driveways and approaches, then move to alleys, then streets eventually if you train hard and remain victorious you can move onto highways-perhaps one day a freeway.

Duane
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Martial Arts for Short Guys - 09/08/11 09:11 AM

Throw, any art can work if you train it with resistance (ie; contact and sparring). I personally think that clinch/grappling arts are better for shorter folk than strikes, seeing as tall folks have more reach, which is largely nullified on the ground.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Martial Arts for Short Guys - 09/23/11 10:34 AM

Hello Throwawaybaby:

Welcome to Fighting Arts!

The short answer grin there is NO one perfect art, nor practice. It will be the teacher that determines what is and is not explored. My art, Duane's, Iaibear's, Gojuman59's... irrelevant. In the same school, with the same instructors each one of us (in the role of a teacher) would present information is a different way than one another.

Duane might be a great fit for your specific temperament/needs. Or you might be a much better fit with the way iaibear does things. If the presentation does not fit what you believe you seek... don't care what the particular art might be... if you dont like the way any of us packages things (so to speak) you will not stay.

Some of the most powerful people I know are your height. They learned how to enter, and exit MOST effectively. On the way through they left many "gifts" cry.

Observe several classes, see what appeals...

Good Luck,
Jeff