JKD = FMA!!!!!

Posted by: Dobbersky

JKD = FMA!!!!! - 03/08/12 08:13 AM

How Many Filipino Martial Arts (FMA) and techniques have Jeet Kune Do (JKD) “borrowed” via Dan Inosanto?

To me, in my opinion JKD is FMA under a different guise!!!

I never see “pure” JKD they always seem to have some Filipino Element to their training but they won’t admit the Filipino roots in what they do! Why is this? Its seems like some Instructors feel the need to latch onto the JKD bandwagon as JKD is the IN THING" at for some people.
I've always wanted to study FMA (I got to wait till I go home next year to Philippines) but never found one school who does have a "hint" of JKD mentioned somewhere like it gives the Art some clarity. No it doesn't if its Filipino BE PROUD that its Filipino!!!!

Its similar to the Korean Arts wont acknowledge the Japanese influences in their Martial Arts even though some are carbon copies apart from techniques have Korean names not Japanese names.

Your thoughts please

NB: I am not raising issues about the arts as they are very effective and useful arts it just FMA should be given more respect than whatthey've been given in the past!
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: JKD = FMA!!!!! - 03/08/12 10:10 AM

Dan Insanto is a BJJ black belt and in the "Way of the Warrior" documentary series he demonstrated Wing Chun/Boxing/Kickboxing. No doubt FMA play a large part of his JKD, but I think he has a number of influences.

I've never seen or heard of a JKD school that had FMA influence trying to hide it. In fact, most places seem pretty proud that they do FMA??

JKD is hard to define. Some people will tell you JKD has no set form, and "pure" JKD doesn't exist as JKD is whatever you discover for yourself.

Re: JKD = FMA!!!!! - 03/08/12 12:30 PM

Agreed, I have grades in other style too, and with regards to the schools you see and I see are totally different, maybe due to the location in the world.

I know JKD is hard to define but atleast they can specify its influences.

I just got a bee in my bonnet I suppose!
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: JKD = FMA!!!!! - 04/09/12 09:11 PM

If I may,

JKD will not and can not ever hav a set curriculum. If it does, it isnt JKD. JKD isnt about system and style for the masses, but rather as a set of skills for the individual student. Often the things taught and adapted for the student is influenced directly by the studnt, based on his physical abilities and limitations. While Dan Inosanto may appear to be a FMA fighter to you, other JKD practitioners would appear totally different, such as myself. In my own skill set I have techniques from Japanese systems, Korean, Thai, Chinese, French and American. If I am effective in my own JKD, you should never be able to distinguish one from another. That is how JKD is suppose to work.

Re: JKD = FMA!!!!! - 04/10/12 10:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Chen Zen
If I may,

JKD will not and can not ever hav a set curriculum. If it does, it isnt JKD. JKD isnt about system and style for the masses, but rather as a set of skills for the individual student. Often the things taught and adapted for the student is influenced directly by the studnt, based on his physical abilities and limitations. While Dan Inosanto may appear to be a FMA fighter to you, other JKD practitioners would appear totally different, such as myself. In my own skill set I have techniques from Japanese systems, Korean, Thai, Chinese, French and American. If I am effective in my own JKD, you should never be able to distinguish one from another. That is how JKD is suppose to work.

Agreed, but JKD is just like Karate or Kung Fu, it is a label only. I have no issues with the concept of JKD, in theory my style is JKD as it is a Hybrid of many styles. My issue is that many JKD'ist jump on the JKD band wagon and fail to acknowledge WHERE their skills come from. Bruce Lee was a film star and a good martial artist and too many people think his films are "real" etc
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: JKD = FMA!!!!! - 04/10/12 10:43 AM

I Understand though I must admit that I dont know the origin of every technique that I use.

As for Bruce, I have mixed feelings. He was good at what he did, but largely what he did was get rich promoting old ideas to people who hadnt heard them. Much of the JKD philosophies and Ideas can be found much earlier in Martial Arts.