ANYONE from the Philippines here?

Posted by: Dobbersky

ANYONE from the Philippines here? - 11/19/09 12:28 PM

Magandang umaga. Kamusta?

I wonder if anyone is from the Philippines that I can talk with to learn the culture and Language?

Salamat

Paalam

Ken

Re: ANYONE from the Philippines here? - 02/11/10 10:00 AM

I recently got engaged to a Filipina and with regards to the Filipine Martial arts, Is Escrima, Anis, Penkat Silat etc genuinely Filipino MA's or are they interpritations of the Chinese/Japanese/Korean styles that were brought to the Islands by its settlers?

Your thoughts please

Thanks

Ken
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: ANYONE from the Philippines here? - 02/11/10 03:36 PM

It seems to be difficult to say what the exact origins were, but there is a rich history of MA in SE Asia that goes back as long as most other countries in East Asia, including Japan and Korea.

Certainly from what I have seen, Silat is unlike anything from Japan or Korea!!! Although I believe some Silat Systems may come from the Phillipines, most systems seem to be Indonesian/Malaysian.

There are many theories about Escrima. A common theory is that modern escrima may have come from a fusion of traditional indigenous fighting arts and Spanish Sword fighting systems.

Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: ANYONE from the Philippines here? - 02/11/10 08:07 PM

I also have a beautiful Filipina wife. When I was visiting there I spoke to a school teacher friend of my wife. He told me that basically in the Philippines "Kali" is just a generic word encompassing all Philippino MA's. Then you have escrima, etc. as individual, specific studies.

This is just what I was told, though; I'm not an expert by any means.
Posted by: messiah154

Re: ANYONE from the Philippines here? - 08/31/10 10:27 AM

I'm a Filipino. BTW there's a Filipino martial art by the name of Yaw Yan, short for Sayaw ng Kamatayan (Dance of Death). It's not actually a dance and it's not that famous. I'm also planning to take it after my Aikido. If there's anything to ask, I'll try to answer as best as I can.

Re: ANYONE from the Philippines here? - 09/01/10 03:48 AM

Musta Kuya Messiah

I want to visit Bataan to visit the place of the famous battles and to honour the Filipino War heroes.

Is there anywhere else that you recommend? My fiancee is from Batangas, so she has told me of many places to visit already.

Also I have made contact with the Kyokushin Philippines organisation based in Manila. I find there are a lot of Martial arts from other countries based in the Philippines. As you're practicing Aikido, how will you "feel" about striking your attacker.

I also wonder how close to Mano-na-Mano, Muay Thai is?

Paalam

Ken
Posted by: messiah154

Re: ANYONE from the Philippines here? - 09/01/10 06:48 AM

Striking opponents, for me, is not a very "Aikido" way to do fight. Of course, Aikido has some "striking". Striking as in to distract or disable opponents only. I'm still having troubles since I only started recently. But the bottom line is, if striking is the ONLY way to finish the fight, then I say go for it.

About sight seeing, I recommend Bohol. I just went there last year and the scenery was just spectacular and the weather was just great. However, after the Ondoy incident, the climate has been very weird. In the past weeks, it rains hard, it gets super sunny, and it becomes cloudy with nice winds. All in one day.

Umm... Mano Mano is just the empty handed component of Filipino Martial Arts.