Modern Arnis Vs. Doce Pares

Posted by: lopezma

Modern Arnis Vs. Doce Pares - 11/12/07 11:03 PM

I am calling out all practitioners of Arnis/Kali/Escrima to help me in my endevor to choose one or the other. Modern Arnis or Doce Pares!
I have done all the research on paper and internet that I can.
I have spoken to individual teachers that teach their art. After narrowing down from (let's say about) 5 styles, I now asking for YOUR help.
Which one do you practice and why?
What are the reasons you chose it?
Would or have you ever considered stopping your style and going to another? If so, why?
I know I can try one or the other, and then choose. I just want to know what you would do or suggest besides that.
My primary reasons for learning Arnis/Kali/Escrima is:
Learn the true beauty of the art.
To be a better competitior.
To ultimately teach this art.
Thank you in advance!
Posted by: oldman

Re: Modern Arnis Vs. Doce Pares - 11/27/07 08:27 AM

bump
Posted by: Saisho

Re: Modern Arnis Vs. Doce Pares - 11/27/07 10:29 PM

I think both would be excellent choices and have a lot in common. I wish you luck.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Modern Arnis Vs. Doce Pares - 11/29/07 08:26 AM

I just had my first DP class last night. I hope it's the first of many.
Posted by: lopezma

Re: Modern Arnis Vs. Doce Pares - 12/02/07 10:33 PM

Thank you for the contact!

I have been watching some dvds from both systems
Some are curriculum and some are competition,
These are my thoughts so far:

Doce Pares is better known than Modern Arnis.
Modern Arnis seems a bit more simple. Is simple better?
Doce Pares has competitions.
I haven't been able to find any comp. for Modern Arnis.
Testing system and time are about the same.

I may be incorrect, remember these are only in theory. If you have input please, advise me or better yet correct me. It is welcomed! Thank you all!
Posted by: trevek

Re: Modern Arnis Vs. Doce Pares - 12/03/07 06:09 AM

Don't forget DP may differ significantly from club to club depending which of the styles they follow.
Posted by: Warriorsca

Re: Modern Arnis Vs. Doce Pares - 09/10/08 08:25 PM

Everythings is the same, Modern Arnis and Doce Pares. If you choose Modern Arnis , you have doing good choice and if you select Doce Pares you have doing a good choice too. In reality its same stick you using no needed to fight with a stick. Both are very good.

Good days....
Posted by: KJ63

Re: Modern Arnis Vs. Doce Pares - 10/02/08 03:44 PM

I have trained in both Modern Arnis and in Doce Pares systems. I originally trained in Doce Pares while living in the Philippines some 20+ years ago. I currently train in Modern Arnis and have so for many years now.

Quote:

Which one do you practice and why?

I prefer Modern Arnis for many reasons. Since it is a mixture of many different Filipino styles to me it has more to offer. Although Modern Arnis covers many different ranges its biggest focus is on entering and working close or inside. The creator Remy Presas took this from the Balintiwak system. Some people would say that this is impractical but if you observe the evolution of the Dog Brothers competitions, entering and being able to either disarm or take your opponent to the ground has become a big part of the game… but Modern Arnis has always focused on this.

Quote:

What are the reasons you chose it?

More specifically unlike other Filipino martial arts Modern Arnis covers left hand techniques. Remy Presas was left handed but could use either hand equally. Using a stick in the left hand throws of many people who are used to fighting right vs. right… and it has some very distinct advantages. Also MA is known for using the off hand or check hand a little more effectively.

Quote:

Would or have you ever considered stopping your style and going to another? If so, why?

No… never.

Quote:

Doce Pares is better known than Modern Arnis.

It may just depend on who you are, where live, and what you’re into. Every art or style goes through it time of popularity. In the 60’s Remy Presas had become so popular that he was asked to move to Manila and teach at the university. He trained civilians, military and law enforcement personnel and helped revitalize the Filipino arts that were slowly dying out to the Okinawan and Japanese styles. Many schools and style adopted the “Arnis” name that were not previously using it. When martial law was declared, President Marcos handed the reins to Arnis to one of his generals. When Remy refused to step down they were going to have him killed, so he fled to the US. Suddenly no one in the Philippines wanted to be associated with Modern Arnis. When the very same general formed the NARAPHIL, suddenly Doce Pares was the art that stood out. To my understanding Modern Arnis or one of its many branches is still the most widely practiced Filipino martial art outside the Philippines.

Quote:

Modern Arnis seems a bit more simple. Is simple better?

Training in both I would say that Modern Arnis is much more complicated with all of the locking, trapping, flow drills, tapi-tapi, and left hand work… much more complicated.

Quote:

Doce Pares has competitions.

Yes they do, and I have competed in a few… lots of padding and very thin sticks. I hit you more than you hit me. .. I win. If you are interested in real competition with sticks just go to a Dog Brothers tournament. They take all comers.

Quote:

I haven't been able to find any comp. for Modern Arnis.

Many of the higher ranking Arnisadors do spar… without padding, with regular 26” or 28” inch long, 1” to 1.25” inch diameter sticks. It is more controlled and is done to help each other see weaknesses and experiment with techniques, not for trophies or recognition. But it hurts. They do not have lower ranking students competing… the thought is that if you’re inexperienced and thrown into the mix it’s an easy way to develop bad habits.

The main thing to remember about both… it’s more how good the instructor is and not the art. As trevek said about “DP can very significantly from club to club,” but so can Modern Arnis depending on what time period in Remy’s life they trained with him or how long they trained with him.

Just my views on subject… no harm or disrespect intended.