New to Kali Silat - Need Help

Posted by: sheepingly

New to Kali Silat - Need Help - 09/07/07 05:59 PM

I'm enrolled in a dojo that teaches MMA and within the MMA Kali Silat is one of the martial arts the sensei teaches. I was wondering if anyone knows of any instructional guide or instruction vids on the internet of basic Kali stick techniques that I can review...I don't like forgetting what I've been taught and I have already.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: New to Kali Silat - Need Help - 09/07/07 06:19 PM

Stick for MMA??? Sounds like the Dog Brothers to me. Ever heard of them? They have some good instructional videos for sale. They also have a lot of video clips on their site.

Check them out at www.dogbrothers.com

-John

Re: New to Kali Silat - Need Help - 09/07/07 07:46 PM

I looked at dogbrothers.com and their site wasn't very helpful at least for me. I guess the problem is that I'm trying to create some sort of manual for myself to refresh my memory if needed and it's hard when I forget something I've learned and there is no resource on the internet that gives a guide or has instructional vidoes (free) of martial arts techniques like Kali for example.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: New to Kali Silat - Need Help - 09/07/07 08:09 PM

Honestly the chances of you finding anything online that will do anything but make your technique worse, are slim and none. If you want video to help you remember, take a cam to class and record it first hand. Other than that, you just have to keep going back and learning like the rest of us.

edit - and why would MA instructors post free instructional videos for you on the net? You pay them for the valuable knowledge they pass on to you. If it could be learned that way, everyone who's ever seen a jackie chan movie and has a 'puter' would be a black belt. Take a notepad and write it down after class or ask if your instructor minds you taping your sessions.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: New to Kali Silat - Need Help - 09/07/07 10:45 PM

Quote:

....and why would MA instructors post free instructional videos for you on the net? You pay them for the valuable knowledge they pass on to you.

Bingo, which is why I posted the link to the Dog Brothers website to begin with. Their instructional videos are superb for real, practical stick/knife/empty hand application.

You're not going to find many useful instructional videos for free online. Pay for them like the majority of the rest of us do

-John
Posted by: Reiki

Re: New to Kali Silat - Need Help - 09/08/07 06:04 PM

Quote:

I'm enrolled in a dojo that teaches MMA and within the MMA Kali Silat is one of the martial arts the sensei teaches. I was wondering if anyone knows of any instructional guide or instruction vids on the internet of basic Kali stick techniques that I can review...I don't like forgetting what I've been taught and I have already.

Train more.

Once you've repeated the technique a few thousand times you'll remember it.

Ask if they do a weekend seminar or something like a training camp and go to it.

You won't get anything for nothing, and the best way of learning and remembering the techniques is to do them and practice them constantly.

If you can do the seminar then video it for yourself then you will have your own personal reminder.

Re: New to Kali Silat - Need Help - 09/24/07 06:20 PM

The recent seminars my sensei has been doing lately has been Kickboxing and Self Defense for Women. He did say he might do an MMA seminar coming up but Im too chicken to ask for more help from my sensei for various other reasons altogether hehe

Plus part of the problem with Kali Silat is because I'm so poor when it comes to hand coordination ...out of everything my sensei teaches within MMA, I do Kali Silat the worst.

Re: New to Kali Silat - Need Help - 09/24/07 06:39 PM

As I said above, when you are learning a technique you need to spend time mastering it and the only way to effectively do this is to do 1000's of reps under the guidance of your instructors.

I'd be concerned at why you are "chicken to ask for more help from your sensei". If you don't get along with him/her then maybe you should be asking yourself if it is time to move to another dojo where you are comfortable to ask for help.

The teacher is there to help and teach, the student is there to learn. If you aren't learning and the teacher isn't teaching then find somewhere that does and get out of there.

I would be quite upset if my students felt they couldn't ask me for help. They ask all the time and I try to help them as constructively as possible, that's what its all about! Every MA student starts at the beginning with 3 left feet and 2 lots of un-co-ordinated hands.

Remember that and go and practice some more! Otherwise I will set you a couple hundred pressups and situps a day until you do pull finger and practice.

Re: New to Kali Silat - Need Help - 09/24/07 06:46 PM

It isn't cause we don't get along. It's that we get along to well. Plus he's good looking. Which yes I know isn't appropriate lol...but still when it comes to hand coordination I am so bad at it even after I've done hundreds and hundreds of repititions...I guess practice makes perfect eh?

Re: New to Kali Silat - Need Help - 09/24/07 07:15 PM

Yes practice makes perfect. And more practice makes more perfect.

And do try to avoid getting your personal life and MA too involved.

Re: New to Kali Silat - Need Help - 09/24/07 07:28 PM

Yeah I know about the business and pleasure stuff. Plus he's married so I'm not going that route!

But yes I will take your advice. I have MMA and KB tonight so I will take what advice everyone has given me today and not let anything get me down.
Posted by: Vig

Re: New to Kali Silat - Need Help - 11/12/07 11:42 AM

Some of the best books I have read as far as breaking things down for beginners are the ones by Remy Presas. You can find them in most bookstores. Good Luck.