Modern Arnis anyone?

Posted by: Empishu

Modern Arnis anyone? - 05/30/06 10:35 PM

Does anyone on this forum practice modern arnis? I train under grandmaster Jeff Delaney of the International Modern Arnis Federation. Hes legit, he was with Remy Presas for god knows how long and I've attended quite a few of his seminars and has always been a great teacher. Anyone else do Modern Arnis?
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Modern Arnis anyone? - 05/31/06 12:09 AM

yep. That would be me as well. Our founder studied under Remy Presas for many years up until his death.

Most of our stick syllabus comes from Modern Arnis, and a bit of it from arnis mati.

Re: Modern Arnis anyone? - 05/31/06 04:07 PM

Whats arnis mati?
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Modern Arnis anyone? - 06/03/06 08:38 PM

oh I've done some modern arnis. The guy who was teaching it is a student of Tim Hartman's, the head of the Internation Modern Arnis Federation who also studied under Presas. My brief instructor got to meet him a few times when he was really little.

Modern Arnis is pretty cool and functional, especially if you have a stick or stick like object in your hand. Before I just thought "connect the stick to the guys head." But I've learned some and got a better feel of using a stick. I only trained in it for a little, like a month but i feel like i learned alot.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Modern Arnis anyone? - 06/03/06 08:52 PM

I've been learning some moves from modern arnis (I kinda style hop with the Kali, as there are so many similar systems) and although alot of the traps, grapples and disarms were very cool I still came to the same conclusion I always do, which is that the strikes are the only part that's ever likely to work. That being said, are there any stand out basic techniques that separate modern arnis from other systems? The strikes seemed identical to those of my instructor's teachings (Inosanto Kali) - did I miss something?
Posted by: RichParsons

Re: Modern Arnis anyone? - 06/03/06 10:08 PM

Quote:

Does anyone on this forum practice modern arnis? I train under grandmaster Jeff Delaney of the International Modern Arnis Federation. Hes legit, he was with Remy Presas for god knows how long and I've attended quite a few of his seminars and has always been a great teacher. Anyone else do Modern Arnis?

From my understanding is that Jeff started his Modern Arnis Training in 1994 or so.

And Yes I do Modern Arnis as well as teach it. If you are happy with Jeff then good for you.
Posted by: arnis1

Re: Modern Arnis anyone? - 06/04/06 02:24 AM

I study modern arnis a little, but really do a lot of the arnis de mano. It's a decent art, a good one. My feelings are that the aiki-jitsu in it works great against a weapon, like someone here said about the armbars and grappling, but its okay against a punch. Not bad, but okay.

Re: Modern Arnis anyone? - 06/08/06 09:31 AM

Its sad really,Tim Hartman and Jeff Delaney use to be with the same organization while the prof was still alive...but when he died it splittered into several different organizaitons..one Tim running..another Jeff running...one his family running..and another IMAF...its sad how the factions have come about only 5 years after his death

As for Jeff's Experience, he has been doing martial arts for nearly 30 years...one of the biggest principles of modern arnis is 'the art within your art" Jeff was telling us at his last seminar how he was going to be a Kung Fu teacher but then the Prof "stole" him. If Prof. Presas chose Jeff to help carry on the art, I really don't see a problem. Jeff's always been a great instructor and a great guy on the whole.

Re: Modern Arnis anyone? - 06/08/06 12:48 PM

oh..I didnt know that the place got all split up..kinda sad

Well I dont really know Tim at all really, I've just been to a couple of his classes outside of the class taught by his student at school. I like how they really gear it as an art of its own and also an art that supplements your own art. Its a pretty relaxed teaching and learning environment, since theres not much emphasis on proper form (though there is some). One thing I really liked was the mano-mano block, check, counter excercises (trapping hands??) great for the reflexes.
Posted by: KJ63

Re: Modern Arnis anyone? - 09/02/06 09:59 AM

Was lucky enough to meet Professor Presas before he passed. Currently study under Ken Smith.

Re: Modern Arnis anyone? - 09/02/06 02:31 PM

isnt Remy Presas's brother still around? Ernesto? He was in Mind,Body and Kickass Moves.

Re: Modern Arnis anyone? - 09/08/06 06:19 PM

Yes he is http://www.presas.org/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

Re: Modern Arnis anyone? - 09/09/06 03:10 PM

Don't mean to rain on anyone..but do you know the story behind the split between the two IMAF's? Jeff's a great guy and although wasn't the 'highest ranked' he did truly love the Prof. and keeps the art alive...Him, Porf.McManus and Guru Chester brown are all great people to work with....would you happen to know?

Whats Ken Smith like?

Re: Modern Arnis anyone? - 09/14/06 11:54 PM

I have heard many different reasons. I am sure there are many more, as a matter of fact there are probably as many reason as there are people involved. Since I have only heard the reason given for one side of the coin I will not comment.

What I do know as fact is that this is a quote was from the IMAF website then located at modernarnis.com on March 1st, 2001.
Quote:

The first order of business conducted by Professor Presas was the establishment of succession planning for IMAF. Professor declared that Jeff Delaney, Executive Director - IMAF, and Randi Schea, M.D., Chairman - IMAF, were to be named as Co-Successors for IMAF. Jeff Delaney, as Co-Successor is responsible for the execution and application of the strategic agendas, and to establish and maintain ambassador status to all U.S. and international IMAF instructors, camp directors, and affiliated schools. Jeff Delaney is to remain as Executive Director of the IMAF. Dr. Schea, as Co-Successor, is responsible for the strategic agendas of the IMAF and to ensure its corporate organizational success, internal operations, and its financial and fiscal posterity. Dr. Schea is to remain as Chairman for the IMAF. Professor Presas also named Jeff Delaney and Dr. Randi Schea as Co-Grandmasters, for the IMAF. This declaration was made to the IMAF members listed in section (1) above and declared effective immediately.

Mr. Delaney then decided to follow a different path by creating a different IMAF. Then Mr. Hartman and some others decided to follow a different path than Mr. Delaney, and created the WMAA.

As for Ken Smith, he’s a great instructor who knows how to break down the most difficult techniques and explain them in a way to where a child would even understand, and like most other Arnisadors he has a great flow.
Posted by: WarblyDoo

Re: Modern Arnis anyone? - 11/15/06 07:34 PM

As a Modern Arnis instructor under yet another of the splinter students of Remy Presas I feel a huge amount of regret for what has become of Arnis in the past few years. When we were all united under Presas the art was thriving and growing at such great speed and while it still grows it has lost so much of its momentum. When I met Presas only a few years before his death I remember thinking he was such a quiet unassuming man (until he put me into the most excruciating finger lock I have ever felt and held it for several minutes as he explained its application) yet he was definately the glue that held things together. Hopefully we can all get past our differences and bring it together again eventually. After all Modern Arnis is an art which challenges one to find the art within themselves so there is no reason for any of the instructors at the top of any of the heirarchies to begrudge the others their own style or way of teaching, they are merely teaching their interpretation of the Professor's teachings.

I fear this might take some time though as the current rifts might be more to do with who wants to be top dog rather than disagreements of a more philisophical nature.

Re: Modern Arnis anyone? - 11/17/06 03:30 PM

WarblyDoo,
Nicely said and I agree 100%. Everyone seems to focus on what broke them a part, it would be great if someone could focus on puttig it back together. But it is really hard when students are taught hatred towards other schools or orginizations as if its a part of their curriculum, which seems to be a common thing in martial arts.

I for one believe there is something to be learned from anyone and everyone who had the opportunity to train under Remy Presas, and could care less what their rank is/was, or what special title that they were given by Mr.Presas, as long as they can actually show they have some ability.

I had hopes the World Wide Brotherhood of Modern Arnis would do the trick, and although they have managed to pull together some people from the different organizations, they had no response from others. I guess if nothing else at least it is an attempt.