Sequin No Tonbo

Posted by: Twisted

Sequin No Tonbo - 04/29/06 09:57 PM

I've heard this paticular short stick kata is of Filipino origin. Does anyone know as to what this kata translates to in English?
Posted by: mike-a

Re: Sequin No Tonbo - 04/29/06 10:22 PM

Name sounds weird to me.

Sequin could be spanish, so maybe from FMA, but the "no tonbo" bit sounds japanese. "no tonbo" may be "of tonbo". For example, the sai kata "Tawada no sai" is found in several kobujutsu systems from Okinawa/Japan, and the name means "Sai of Tawada", Tawada being the creater of the sai kata. So it kinda fits the "no tonbo" bit if Tonbo was a name. But in Japanese it's subject first so it would be "Sequin" is the name, definitely not Japanese (no Q in the alphabet).

Tonbo, may be tanbo, the short stick weapon of some Okinawan systems (often used in pairs - nitanbo).

Hope some of that made sense
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Sequin No Tonbo - 04/30/06 05:04 PM

Sounds like a mixture of terms to me too, originating from the tanbo short stick.
Posted by: Twisted

Re: Sequin No Tonbo - 05/01/06 11:38 AM

Yeah... I don't know. At first I thought the proper spelling of the name was "Sekkun" but then my Sensei made up a list with all the spellings of the katas and it was spelled "Sequin". Is the name Sequin common in Filipino origin?
Posted by: mike-a

Re: Sequin No Tonbo - 05/04/06 04:38 PM

Nope. Never heard it in fact...
But it is *similar* to a spanish tern "sequidas" used in the pekiti tersia system, refering the their bridging attack series.

I've also heard the term "sequensa".