Any good reading suggestions?

Posted by: eagleyed

Any good reading suggestions? - 07/04/11 04:06 PM

I am both an avid martial artist and reader. I am currently reading 'Angry White Pyjamas' by Robert Twigger, and i would recommend it to anyone. Does anybody have any suggestions for me to route out for my next reading pleasure? Please.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Any good reading suggestions? - 07/04/11 04:29 PM

Check out American Shaolin by Matthew Polly. It is a non-fiction travel/martial arts book. Matthew Polly documents his travels to China and the training he underwent in Shaolin temple for 3 years in the early 90's. It reveals a lot about the modern Shaolin temple and Chinese culture at that time. Very funny and interesting book.
Posted by: hope

Re: Any good reading suggestions? - 07/04/11 10:05 PM

Have read and enjoyed both Twigger and Polly. Here's a further selection (very different from each other):

Lori O'Connell -- Weapons of Opportunity (one woman's crusade through the world of dojos and low blows)

Brian Jones -- Detour on the Path (a martial artist's brief foray as a smuggler)

Brian Preston -- Me, Chi and Bruce Lee (adventures in martial arts)
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Any good reading suggestions? - 07/05/11 08:08 PM

I've got some good ones for you. They're novels.

1) John Rain Novels by Barry Eisler. John Rain is a Japanese-American Assasin. His art is Judo (as is Mr. Eisler, a former CIA operative who obtained his BB @ the Kodokan International Judo Ctr). I believe that there are about 5 or 6 books. I enjoyed them alot!

2)"Sensei" by John Donohue another good read..1

VDJ

Re: Any good reading suggestions? - 07/08/11 02:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Much appreciated. I will deffo keep my eyes open for them.
Keep them coming my martial arts friends.

Other good ones i have read are "Ninja" by Eric Van Lustbader and the sequel "Mika". Riveting reads that will find you struggling to put them down. Enjoy.
Posted by: Shusha

Re: Any good reading suggestions? - 07/09/11 03:14 AM

Have you read "A Fighter's Heart" and "A Fighter's Mind" by Sam Sheridan?

Re: Any good reading suggestions? - 07/09/11 03:58 AM

thanks Susha. I read "A fighters heart" a couple of years ago and thought it was a brilliant book. But the latter i have not read and after just reading an exerpt from it on 'Amazon', i will be looking to add it to my library. Thanks for the suggestion my friend.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Any good reading suggestions? - 07/09/11 10:59 PM

Greg Jacksons mixed martial arts: the stand up game. And jiu jitsu university by Saulo Ribeiro.
Posted by: Yanez

Re: Any good reading suggestions? - 10/08/11 01:52 PM

I´m a beginner. I´m reading about Muscle Strength, because someone told me to perform Strength Exercises before getting involved in martial arts. Is that true ?
I found some good exercises in www.exercisesandworkout.com
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Any good reading suggestions? - 01/27/12 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Yanez
I´m a beginner. I´m reading about Muscle Strength, because someone told me to perform Strength Exercises before getting involved in martial arts. Is that true ?
I found some good exercises in www.exercisesandworkout.com

There's no reason to need to build strength before getting into it. For competition yes, it might be a good idea, but just for it's own sake then no. I mean, how much strength do they expect you to have before doing it? Seems arbitrary. Just jump in.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Any good reading suggestions? - 01/27/12 04:52 PM

My Aikido Sensei scolds me when I try to "muscle" an opponent.
Aikido is about misdirection, balance and smoothly out maneuvering uke.