JCVD Behind Closed Doors

Posted by: Prizewriter

JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 03/16/11 03:44 PM

It's UK only at the moment it seems:

Posted by: Cord

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 03/17/11 07:26 AM

Car-crash telly of the highest order grin

Grown children feeling uncomfortable around dad? Check.

Big security entourage for a disinterested public? Check.

Old man trying to be cool and dancing like a geography teacher at a school disco? Check

I cant wait for this show to feed my need for tragic hilarity cool

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 04/23/11 08:27 AM

Has anyone bee watching this? As Cord said, car crash TV. I think the TV show might be about promoting his children (both aspiring actors) as they feature quite a bit.

I was somewhat surprised to see the effect his martial arts/stunt fighitng had taken on his body though. JCVD claims he can no longer throw a kick without it hurting this hip. Despite seeming in good physical condition, you never know what someone is going through under the hood ( or bonnet if you will).

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 04/23/11 02:26 PM

Its a really good show!

He is clearly insane, and his family are clearly papering over some very bad structural cracks that his previous behaviour have caused, but there is a certain winning charm to them all.

I particularly like the work he does rescuing street-dogs, and his son seems to adore him, while his daughter is clearly a little 'cool' towards him.

Watching him talk about getting fit to fight in K1 while downing vodka and chain smoking lithuanian cigarettes shows the level of self delusion he is suffering, and I dislike people who cry over trivial things as a rule, but again, he seems, if anything, a bit of a Willy Loman figure more than a truly unpleasant one.

His RSI joint issues are unsuprising, as lets be honest, he perfected 3 screen kicks in 1988, and proceeded to rely on them for 20 years. Its only recently that his fight choreography has shown any imagination, so maybe its for the best.

Another issue that seems ongoing is his utter lack of judgement in the filming of the scenes- he has a history of accidentaly hurting stuntworkers/actors (he was sued for blinding a stuntman during Cyborg), and in this show, he has already bruised a guy's ribs, and split another guys nose open. I can only presume that its his eyesight - a wearer of glasses his whole life, he doesnt seem to wear contacts during filming. I think he should, out of respect for the safety those he works with.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 04/24/11 02:38 PM

He's an enigma, that's for sure. Odd guy, interesting though. Daughter is hot too. wink

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 04/24/11 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Cord

Another issue that seems ongoing is his utter lack of judgement in the filming of the scenes- he has a history of accidentaly hurting stuntworkers/actors (he was sued for blinding a stuntman during Cyborg), and in this show, he has already bruised a guy's ribs, and split another guys nose open. I can only presume that its his eyesight - a wearer of glasses his whole life, he doesnt seem to wear contacts during filming. I think he should, out of respect for the safety those he works with.

I noticed that too. JCVD claimed in one instance he didn't know the guy was an actor and not a stuntman. Seems crazy to just hit someone you've only met without going over a few basic safety points first!

Regarding his mental state, he is certainly a bit off the map. Might be his personality, might be scars of his substance abuse showing, or it could be the lifestyle. Although JCVD asked for the life of a movie star and all that comes with it, I don't envy the constant scrutiny he is under or the pressure he has on him to talk to engage with the media and attend public functions. I know I know, there are people out there saving lives and raising familes on modest resources who have it a lot tougher. Still, I don't think you'd see the best side of a person if you had to jump through the hoops JCVD seems to have to jump through.

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 04/25/11 03:17 AM

Well, he is a diagnosed manic-depressive/bi-polar who has to take meds to level out his moods, yet constantly stops the meds so he can hit the booze.

Thsi goes a great way to explaining his sometimes weird behaviour.

I do agree that being hassled by people all the time would be tiresome, but lets be real here, he is working very hard to regain the even greater fame he had in the late 80's to mid 90's, so he cant hate the attention too much wink

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 04/30/11 06:31 AM

Seen this weeks episode, man that guy is bonnkers! He was ranting incoherently one minute, crying the next, the laughing manically a short time later (all in seemingly the one take). I felt sorry for his wife to be honest.

It showed you his Thai opponent (Somluck Kamsing) in his proposed match in this weeks episode. If JCVD seriously thinks for one minute he can hang with this guy he is beyone deluded. Maybe its all a publicity stunt though??

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 04/30/11 09:17 AM

It could end up being 'a work'. Measured contact pre-choreographed fights are quite popular in the far east. A lot of Japanese wrestling, and even mma style events blur the lines between reality and performance over there- Ken Shamrock used to take part in 'works' (fake) and 'shoots' (real fights) often for the same federations.

To be fair to JC, the episode you cite was finding out that he would not be taking the lead role in the Bloodsport sequel, and I suppose seeing as how it is the film that defined him, and made his career, to find out that you have fallen to the point where they dont want you for the sequel would hurt quite a lot.

He is a minic-depressive, and a very flawed person, but my overriding feeling towards him is sympathy after seeing this show. He's a kind of tragic figure frown

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 04/30/11 06:35 PM

I feel sorry for him to an extent but I can't help but wonder how much he was the architect of his own downfall. I know I know, I'm too cynical. He is only human after all.

Besides which, haven't they already made a bunch of Bloodsport sequels with Daniel Bernhardt? I know he was playing a different character to JCVD, but still, surely JCVD must've known for awhile they've continued the Bloodsport franchise without him. And the Timecop franchise. And the Kickboxer franchise too. Hence why I was taken aback by his surprise at being told he wasn't going to be in the Bloodsport sequel.

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 05/01/11 05:27 PM

No doubt that his heavy cocaine addiction in the 90's ruined his career, and was self inflicted; but he was not diagnosed or treated for bi-polar disorder till after his downfall. Un diagnosed manic depression often leads to to destructive life choices as sufferers seek a 'high' to counteract their mood swings.

And I get what you are saying about the sequel to an extent, but as with Universal Soldier, there are several 'non JCVD' films in the series (featuring Burt Reynolds!!??), but they had no money behind them, and are not considered 'real' entries in the franchise by fans, and this is why 'U-Sol: Regeneration' with JC and Lundgren appearing again was such a big deal last year (it was also a top movie btw).

A 'real' Bloodsport sequel would involve Franx Dux, played by JCVD in another storyline, but the producers felt that this would not attract enough interest to make it worth the investment. That's what upset JC, not the film itself.

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 05/03/11 12:29 AM

I think he started to take his characters home, actually believe he was this super badass, and facing the reality of things lead to identity crisis and his current craziness.

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 05/03/11 02:38 PM

Interesting points you both make. JCVD's wife said he wants to get back to the top so his kids see him as a hero again. He genuinely does seem to believe he IS a hero! For example, he talked quite a bit about saving the world in an episode, and he seemed totally serious.

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 05/03/11 03:26 PM

Yeah, you know, we all play roles. Sometimes the different roels we play start to blur into each other and we forget where one is supposed to end and another begin. I see it as no different with actors, worse actually because they tend to have to go much deeper into their roll and throw away all of who they really are and sometimes you end up losing yourself in it even when the work day is over. I think the same thing happend with Stephen Seagal.
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 05/03/11 05:23 PM

Quote:
I see it as no different with actors, worse actually because they tend to have to go much deeper into their roll and throw away all of who they really are and sometimes you end up losing yourself in it even when the work day is over.

Actually this is very true, especially of Method Actors. I read a study in college that found many actors are clinically insane even though fully functional. Over time they have played so many characters that they can no longer separate their real past from their acted roles. It's much worse for stage performers because the roles are played in linear time. Movie actors only do scenes which is a much different animal from what the study found.

I would also think being famous creates a public and private life which could very different. I could see where a person might begin to believe their own press (so to speak)

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 05/04/11 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Kimo2007
Quote:
I see it as no different with actors, worse actually because they tend to have to go much deeper into their roll and throw away all of who they really are and sometimes you end up losing yourself in it even when the work day is over.

Actually this is very true, especially of Method Actors. I read a study in college that found many actors are clinically insane even though fully functional. Over time they have played so many characters that they can no longer separate their real past from their acted roles.

This reminds me of when Hoffman worked with Olivier on 'Marathon Man'. Hoffman, following the 'method' approach, starved himself and locked himself away in a dark room for 48 hours, and arrived on set looking like hell for the torture scenes.
Olivier approached him and said 'what ever is the matter?' to which Hoffman replied with an explanation of what he had gone through to get 'in the zone'. Olivier merely replied 'My dear boy, have you ever thought about acting instead?'

Van Damme is not confused about who he is. He has fallen from grace in the eyes of his family because he used to beat the sh1t out of his wife and fvck other women behind her back when the kids were young. He then left her (and them) for another woman, but came crawling back, and his wife took him back and helped him get off the drugs.
Her love is what allowed him back in the family home, but he lost the respect of his children, and is also dealing with a massive level of guilt and a feeling that he doesnt deserve the forgiveness he has recieved from his wife.
THAT is what he means about becoming a 'hero' to his family- he is trying to redeem himself. Its got nothing to do with believing he is Frank Dux wink

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 05/04/11 07:10 AM

I still think he believes he's Frank Dux.
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 05/04/11 11:18 AM

Does he get the contract to fight the Thai Fighter?
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 05/05/11 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Kimo2007
Quote:

Actually this is very true, especially of Method Actors. I read a study in college that found many actors are clinically insane even though fully functional. Over time they have played so many characters that they can no longer separate their real past from their acted roles. It's much worse for stage performers because the roles are played in linear time. Movie actors only do scenes which is a much different animal from what the study found.

Well, that would explain why Daniel Day Lewis is nuttier than a bag of trail mix. But I wonder if its the acting that causes the crazy or the crazy that causes the acting?

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 05/06/11 04:32 AM

You have to be nuts to play the role he played in there Will be Blood. Nonetheless, one of my favorite actors.

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 05/10/11 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Stormdragon
Daughter is hot too. wink

In the show his son and daughter show off their respective partners. Here's something disturbing:

JCVD's son's girlfriend looks like the daughter (i.e. his sister).

JCVD's daughter's boyfriend looks like the son (i.e. her brother).

Kinda creepy.

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 05/10/11 12:35 PM

We noticed that!! A couple of episodes ago, Mum, sister and girlfriend all went together to a beauty salon, and you couldnt tell the difference between ANY of them!!

I know guys often marry girls that remind them of their mother, but do they have to be clones!!??!! crazy

Oedipus-shmeedipus!!!! shocked
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors - 05/11/11 11:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Prizewriter
Originally Posted By: Stormdragon
Daughter is hot too. wink

In the show his son and daughter show off their respective partners. Here's something disturbing:

JCVD's son's girlfriend looks like the daughter (i.e. his sister).

JCVD's daughter's boyfriend looks like the son (i.e. her brother).

Kinda creepy.

Sounds a liitle like that Family from the Brady Bunch lol