Facebook

Posted by: JKogas

Facebook - 10/16/10 09:45 PM

Who here have Facebook accounts? We're trying to increase the FA.com presence on that site. PM me if you do and lets hook up folks!

-John

Posted by: ITFunity

Re: Facebook - 10/17/10 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: JKogas
Who here have Facebook accounts? We're trying to increase the FA.com presence on that site. PM me if you do and lets hook up folks!
-John

I don't have a FB page, but am not sure if this is what you are getting at, but there are a couple of documentary flims being made about TKD or including TKD. They have a Facebook Page where you can follow the progress of the films etc. I am sure that there are many like minded martial artists there & you can hook up with them via FB.
Their FB Page is:
www.facebook.com/LUVFilms

Re: Facebook - 10/17/10 12:19 PM

No, we're simply looking for Fightingarts.com members here with facebook accounts. That's all smile

Posted by: iaibear

Re: Facebook - 10/17/10 03:04 PM

I do, but I don't really.
I found how to write messages in their message area.
My problem is two-fold
1) How do I address them?
2) How the bleep do I SEND them?
I have tried to contact their customer service. They have many experts ready to chat-by-typing to answer my question. BUT they want to know my credit card number so they can charge me @ $38. I send them my card # as a "good faith" gesture. They give me the answer. If I am not satisfied, they return my "good faith" money and charge me nothing.
However they still have my credit card number.
I was born a long time before yesterday.

Re: Facebook - 10/17/10 03:38 PM

A Facebook account is free bro. Perhaps I am confused (wouldn't be the first time). But I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing?

www.facebook.com
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Facebook - 10/18/10 08:47 AM

I don't like having to provide all the private info they look for. And before someone tells me how safe it is, see the link below!

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20101018/2b65b90d-a821-441e-939e-b119ebb89c03
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Facebook - 10/18/10 09:36 AM

That's why I do not enable any apps on Facebook.
Posted by: Shi Ronglang

Re: Facebook - 10/18/10 11:13 AM

Exactly. I systematically refuse all of them.

Besides, you only provide as much information as you wish to, and only share them with as many people as you wish to.

For instance, my students don't have access to anything related to my private life, etc.
Creating groups among your contacts is a good way to manage what you're willing to share with whom. wink
Posted by: Ames

Re: Facebook - 10/18/10 08:22 PM

I have a facebook account.

Re: Facebook - 10/18/10 09:34 PM

Cool bro, check your messages!

Re: Facebook - 10/18/10 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Ames
I have a facebook account.

Cool. Maybe you can tell me how to send a message without charging me $38 for telling me which button to push.

I can "reply", but without being able to send anything, Facebook is useless to me.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Facebook - 10/19/10 07:34 AM

iai -

You must not be talking about the same thing as the rest of us. You have to sign up for Facebook (which is free) before you can send OR reply to messages. PM me if you like for more detail.

Re: Facebook - 11/29/10 09:11 AM

Originally Posted By: MattJ
iai -

You must not be talking about the same thing as the rest of us. You have to sign up for Facebook (which is free) before you can send OR reply to messages. PM me if you like for more detail.

It was purported to be a genuine account for which I did sign up. Whenever someone sends me a message, I get a notification from Facebook with a six inch long address I can cut and paste to get to my connection, type in my ID, and read the message, and respond to it if I wish.
I was visiting out-of-state relatives for Thanksgiving. They are on Facebook. A message had come in from someone I do not know, BUT in the "people you might be interested in" box, there I was, complete with picture.
No thank you
BTW This article is no longer available
http://enews.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20101018/2b65b90d-a821-441e-939e-b119ebb89c03

Re: Facebook - 11/29/10 10:37 AM

Iaibear, you can control exactly which information (picture, college you attended, age, etc.) is available to whom ("friends only", "friends + friends of friends", "everyone", "my coworkers", "those guys from FA.com", "that group I saw fit to create", etc.) in the "privacy settings" of your account. The default settings are not very restrictive, which is the main beef I hold with FB; fortunately you can easily remedy to that. wink

Re: Facebook - 11/30/10 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Shi Ronglang
Iaibear, you can control exactly which information (picture, college you attended, age, etc.) is available to whom ("friends only", "friends + friends of friends", "everyone", "my coworkers", "those guys from FA.com", "that group I saw fit to create", etc.) in the "privacy settings" of your account. The default settings are not very restrictive, which is the main beef I hold with FB; fortunately you can easily remedy to that. wink

You can easily remedy that if you know where the controls are. I saw the information "picture, college, age" controls but after an hour or more looking I had not found the "available to whom" part. Nor did I see anything that said "Privacy Settings".
Thanks for the encouragement, but it is much easier to "ignore", the choice control which I did find.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Facebook - 12/02/10 07:02 PM

I "could" tell you if I was on FB or not but then I'd have to kill you... so I won't.

btw iaibear look here for how to set privacy on FB
http://www.facebook.com/privacy/explanation.php

I would go with friends only if I were you. wink

Re: Facebook - 12/02/10 07:16 PM

Yup, good policy in general. I too set pretty much everything to "friends only" or more restrictive, save for a few details and my very neutral profile picture, which are public just to let a potential old friend trying to find me know he's got the right person.

Re: Facebook - 12/03/10 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Reiki
I "could" tell you if I was on FB or not but then I'd have to kill you... so I won't.

btw iaibear look here for how to set privacy on FB
http://www.facebook.com/privacy/explanation.php

I would go with friends only if I were you. wink

That gave me a very long article in a font size too tiny to read conveniently and so complex (what I could read of it) I was afraid I would be signing away my first born, if I ever had one.

I thank everyone who tried to help a cyber dinosaur. I believe I shall stick to the Forums, Personal Messages and e-mail from now on.
:-[