Parents with teenagers; Need advice please

Posted by: marmaduke

Parents with teenagers; Need advice please - 05/18/09 01:04 PM

My son is 18. His Prom is in two weeks. Way back when, he knew no one and said he wasn't going to the Prom. 2 months ago, he met someone in his Karate class. And later found out she's in the same High School, a year behind him.

At this late time, its impossible to get him/her ready for the Prom. Can anyone offer any ideas as to what these two can do as a substiture for the Prom? Movies and dinner sounds kind of boring and everyday. Something special, but I haven't a clue.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Parents with teenagers; Need advice please - 05/18/09 02:22 PM

Daughter of 16; so I fit your parent teenager profile. In fact a boy is coming home for supper at our place for the first time; this should be interesting.

Too late for prom? I would think with two weeks that would still be enough time to go to this. However if not then I would probably keep my hands out of things and let the kids figure it out themselves. They are young in their relationship and probably find that just hanging with each other is more then enough.

I understand you want the night to be memorable but when I try to think back to myself at that age and being with my girlfriend; now wife, just being with her was enough. Whether it was supper and a movie, go to a live theatre, going for walks holding hands, sitting and cuddling on the couch, going for drives and getting lost; as long as we were together.

I guess the questions is, what do they want to do?

I applaud your involvement as a parent; very good on you.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Parents with teenagers; Need advice please - 05/18/09 02:28 PM

i second Derecks remarks. I have a 17 yr. They can usually know better than you what they want to do. I am also surprised that it is too late for the prom. What, they need a tux, dress and tickets. If I remember the tickets were sold the night of.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Parents with teenagers; Need advice please - 05/18/09 04:58 PM

Quote:

My son is 18. His Prom is in two weeks. Way back when, he knew no one and said he wasn't going to the Prom. 2 months ago, he met someone in his Karate class. And later found out she's in the same High School, a year behind him.

At this late time, its impossible to get him/her ready for the Prom. Can anyone offer any ideas as to what these two can do as a substiture for the Prom? Movies and dinner sounds kind of boring and everyday. Something special, but I haven't a clue.

Er...2 weeks and you cant get him a Tux and a Limo?

We in Britain do not have 'proms' per se, but our school had a 'May Ball' for the senior years. All we needed was a tuxedo, some good cigars, a licensed bar with a blind barman, some condoms, and for teachers and parents to stay the hell away.

one call to a gents outfitters will sort the tux, and maybe there are others who they can pile in with for a group Limo, or failing that, they could just get a taxi and concentrate on having fun, not trying to impress others- not a bad life lesson thrown into the bargain
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Parents with teenagers; Need advice please - 05/18/09 09:23 PM

I need about 15minutes notice to be ready for the prom.

Posted by: Taison

Re: Parents with teenagers; Need advice please - 05/18/09 11:54 PM

I'm with Brian here...

Just give me a phone call and I'm there in a couple of minutes..

~Donnie

Re: Parents with teenagers; Need advice please - 05/19/09 06:56 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. The Prom tickets were sold last month. They said they had a few leftover at $100 each.
Nice limo..$$$
Nice Tux...$$$
Me and the wife...Debt Consolidation for the past year.
If we had a few months warning, we might have scraped up enough to cover everything, but two weeks...we can't do it.

As for my son coming up with anything. I asked him. Doesn't have a clue. Their first date, they went to a movie. Their second date, they went to a restaurant then window shopped at a mall. When I tried to give my son ideas like movies or a fancy restaurant, I was told "been there, done that." Geez. I wouldn't mind going to a few movies or different restaurants with my wife, but he did it once, so its been done. Have to find something different. (Kind of makes you want to strangle him.)

Actually he did have an idea. She has a PS2, he has a PS3, he was going to take his PS3 over to her house and play games all night. Now that romantic.

Re: Parents with teenagers; Need advice please - 05/19/09 07:03 AM

Quote:

They can usually know better than you what they want to do.

Do you REALLY want to say it that way???
Posted by: Cord

Re: Parents with teenagers; Need advice please - 05/19/09 08:34 AM

Quote:

Actually he did have an idea. She has a PS2, he has a PS3, he was going to take his PS3 over to her house and play games all night. Now that romantic.

Hey, dont knock it!
My first date with my wife was drinks in a pub.

2nd date was Tekken Tag on PS2, for shots

3rd date was an all day Silent Hill marathon, lights off, drinking absinthe

8 years later, i am still never happier than when i have nothing to do but chill, play video games and watch movies with my wife

The fact that your son is seemingly 'apathetic' towards the idea of a big night out may well be his way of not making you feel bad that you can't help him out.

Whilst no relationship should be encouraged to be serious at such a young age, it is nice that he has met someone who's company alone is entertainment enough.

If video games and fooling around is what makes them happy, and what they can afford, then good luck to them

Re: Parents with teenagers; Need advice please - 05/19/09 08:52 AM

Yea. Those were the days. My first date with my wife, she wantd to see "Rockie Horror Picture Show". Didn't know anything about it. Just seen all these weirdo's dressed funny. And the toast flying thru the air was hilarious. That was something to remember.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Parents with teenagers; Need advice please - 05/19/09 09:12 AM

Since when is a limo required to go to prom? I went to three proms and never went in a limo. I drove my Mom's minivan one year and my crappy 1985 Buick Skyhawk the other two.

Nice tux? If he wants to go to prom just get a plain tux. it doesn't have to be fancy, just a tux that gets him to prom. Is "tuxedo" specifically on the dress code?

If he doesn't want to go, then he doesn't have to, but people seem to want too much caviar when ritz crackers and cheez whiz will do just fine.

But if he wants to go play PS3 with a cute girl and she wants to play too, then more power to him!
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Parents with teenagers; Need advice please - 05/19/09 10:28 AM

That is funny! Mine was in my dads minivan and I had to beg him to let me take it. lol

I can't remember the last time I rented a tux, but but then it seemed reasonable to rent one.

That is a good point. Is a tux mandatory?
Posted by: Aesir

Re: Parents with teenagers; Need advice please - 05/19/09 01:59 PM

My class rented a route master (old London bus) for ours..
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Parents with teenagers; Need advice please - 05/19/09 04:59 PM

Not really called proms here in my area of Canada. We just called it the Graduation Supper; or Grad Night. Rented a tux but never a limo; not required. Been to four; fifth next year for my daughter. Plus it isn't just kids, it is family/friends as well that attend.

My first date with my wife was Top Gun in August of 1986; remember it still fondly to this day. We actually seen a lot of movies together and still watch movies to this day almost 23 years later. Also fond memories is eating at Harvey's after or before and feeding the seagull french fries. Just being together was the important thing.

I can understand the financial crunch for a lot of people. Also can understand that tickets sold a head of time; mine always were too as they had to plan for the facility for the numbers and the amount of food though always was lots. For my daughters we are also limited to how many people she can invited; 10 I believe is the limit.

Personally I would let your son choose what he is going to do. If you come up with something and it turns out to be a bust then you are on the hook. He is a young man and should make that decision for himself. If he wants to play games with his girlfriend and she is also into that; that is all that matters.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Parents with teenagers; Need advice please - 05/20/09 04:55 PM

Heloo Marmaduke:

My wife and I were dropping off some clothes to the local consignment shop, a few weeks back, they had some OBSCENELY nice dresses, suits, tux's even (with original manufacturers tags still on them) for ridicilously cheap prices.

The dresses were mostly from local bridal shops who wanted room for their new spring inventory. My wife looked at many and bought several for a grand total of 35 dollars!

Outfits are easy to find...

And if you are suggesting that the PROM committee would turn down money at the door, or if he talked to the class president, whomever was in Student Government, guaranteed somebody can find the young man a ticket, if he keeps asking until he gets them. Might have to talk to a school counselor, or a Vice Principal, but somebody will have more tickets.

Merely a suggestion for whatever they might be worth...

Jeff