"Prom"

Posted by: oldman

"Prom" - 05/11/08 02:42 AM

I would just like to state for the record I officially hate Prom Night.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: "Prom" - 05/11/08 09:21 AM

Speaking as a parent, chaperone, or... ?
Posted by: Cord

Re: "Prom" - 05/11/08 11:42 AM

Quote:

I would just like to state for the record I officially hate Prom Night.

thats not fair, sure it owes a debt to halloween, but it is now considered to be a legitemately influential movie in the slasher genre. The remake comes out this summer- it wont be as good.

Re: "Prom" - 05/11/08 12:51 PM

Joel,
I was speaking as a dad...not as a film critic. My daughters date seemed nice enough. Cord, has there ever been a movie where the dad goes nuts and kills the drunk kids?
Posted by: JoelM

Re: "Prom" - 05/11/08 01:55 PM

Sorry to hear that, Mark. Sometimes those people that seem nice enough end up being not so nice enough.
Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Re: "Prom" - 05/11/08 02:19 PM

I never had even the opportunity to go to a Prom, is it all it is cracked up to be or not so much?

Re: "Prom" - 05/11/08 02:40 PM

It was ok Joel. My daughter and her date had a good time and did not go crazy. Some others did. I dread the "big" events as so often kids use it as an excuse to get stupid.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: "Prom" - 05/11/08 03:39 PM

the greatest teacher we have is our own mistakes. Sometimes that 'teacher' is way too harsh. the best you/we can do Mark, is better the odds - but you/we'll never be able to reduce that harshness to zero....to try is to deny the lessons of the 'teacher'.

Re: "Prom" - 05/11/08 04:08 PM

Quote:

Cord, has there ever been a movie where the dad goes nuts and kills the drunk kids?

There is 'Death Sentence' with Kevin Bacon, where he goes vigilante against the gangbangers who kill his son. Also, Friday the 13th's killer is Jason;s mother, taking revenge on summer camp kids for the mistreatment and subsequent death of Jason.

in regards to 'Prom' nights, We had end of year formals in upper school- we would get tuxed up, smoke cigars and pretend we liked them, and get good and loaded on booze, but the whole 'give her a flower and then take her flower' concept that is always portrayed in American movies was never really part of the culture. Then again, where I grew up we never even had a school nativity- couldnt find 3 wise men and a virgin in our school

I am not dad, and if I were, I would be a lousy one in situations like this, but I guess the only thing I could say to rationalise things is that your wife's dad was probably ill thinking about what you were doing with her when you first got together, and things turned out OK didnt they?
You always sound like an 'involved' dad, who raises his kids to have good judgement- sometimes you have to have faith in the job that you did as a parent.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: "Prom" - 05/11/08 04:09 PM

The Proms at the past two high schools I've been too apparently have sucked in recent years and my current school I've been at one year and have little connection to so I foregoe the opportunity. I did go to Snoball though which is huge in my town (like 6 or 7 high schools go). It was fun but not amazing.
Now the movie "Prom Night" was unrealistic but entertaining, especially since it took place in New Port Oregon (called Bridgeport in the movie) and mentions Portland and Woodburn. Hells yeah.
Posted by: grumbleweed

Re: "Prom" - 05/11/08 05:16 PM

i hear you. although my beautiful daughter is only 6 so little stress for me when she goes to her first school disco this friday between 5.30 and 6.30, home in time for 'bob the builder'
incidentally she wants to start judo lessons (run by a former commonwealth competitor) with one of her friends later this year. has my blessing to put her in good stead for later on. not that i’m a neurotic dad or anything
Posted by: trevek

Re: "Prom" - 05/11/08 05:58 PM

Cord, I can imagine having your photo on your daughter's Prom dress (or underwear) would serve as the biggest deterrent possible.

Quote:

has there ever been a movie where the dad goes nuts and kills the drunk kids?

There's always "Carrie", where the mother tries to kill the daughtr who returns from the prom... mind you, she's learns a few 'points' from her daughter.

Re: "Prom" - 05/12/08 04:11 AM

Quote:

Cord, I can imagine having your photo on your daughter's Prom dress (or underwear) would serve as the biggest deterrent possible.

Yep, nothing kills the mood like my image, or at least, thats what the wife says
Posted by: Dereck

Re: "Prom" - 05/12/08 01:28 PM

Prom night ... not to far away as my daughter is finishing up grade 10 and that will come fast enough. Will have to spend monies on a dress no doubt and invite family and friends to attend which will all have to come out of my pocket. Then to sit there and know I can't make an ass out of myself as I have to be respectable only to see young kids getting stupid; like you said Mark.

Didn't really enjoy my own as my girl friend had recently broke up with me and ended up at it with another guy. Hung around with buddies and though 17 was still able to purchase alcohol but it was no substitute. Had went to my sisters the year previous in 1985 which I had a heck of a lot better time as was able to hit on one of my sister's girl friends that I danced the night away with as well drank enough wine to cut the edge off of any insecurities. Oh the memories.

These will be my daughter's memories so I will let her have them and support her.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: "Prom" - 05/12/08 02:53 PM

Glad all went well Mark. I had a feeling it would. When it comes down to it, it is just a matter of trusting that as a parent you did all you needed to do to teach your kids how to make the right choices. I have seen first hand that you & your wife have done that well for your kids. They are smart, wise for their ages, and have a track record of making good choices so i am sure that no matter the event, they will be fine.