I hate "ICONIC"

Posted by: trevek

I hate "ICONIC" - 05/04/08 05:05 PM

I HATE THE WORD "ICONIC"!

Have you noticed that bloody everything these days is "iconic".

A well-known TV personality died a few months ago in UK and he was immediately referred to as "iconic"

MSN asks "what is the most "iconic" tv show and posts a list where half the things would be forgeottn in 10 years.

I first noticed it when a couple of years ago Bono (of U2) was trying to get a pair of leather jeans and a cowboy hat back from an old employee because they were "iconic" (pretentious git!).

Now everything is bloody "iconic".

It's turning into such an iconic word

Any words you guys hate?
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: I hate "ICONIC" - 05/04/08 09:36 PM

"idol" it puts peoples heads up other peoples arses and with all the spin off "idol" shows like singers, models and guitar "gods" it makes me sick. i've never herd of a more generic way of killing origionality in my life, it turns art into "what sells". you thought krotty was bad? wait till the mcdojo gets its hands on something you love. UFC "reality tv shows" wtf? new meaning to "idiot box".

rant over.

Re: I hate "ICONIC" - 05/05/08 02:03 AM

agreed totally!

wasn't there already some kind of Shaolin reality show?

I always thought 'idol' was misspelt, as the contestants were usually too 'idle' to get a career and just showed up to a tv audition.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: I hate "ICONIC" - 05/05/08 03:14 AM

"Mother" as in "mother of all...." popularised by Sadam, the father of all WMD.

Re: I hate "ICONIC" - 05/05/08 06:07 AM

wasn't it Schwarzkopf? The mother of all battles?
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: I hate "ICONIC" - 05/06/08 06:21 AM

No, it was Saddam in his speech to the Iragi people on the very night the invasion started. I remember hearing a translation and the reporter who was broadcasting the translation said he would find out later what this 'mother of all battles' meant. It probably sounded right in the Iragi language, but an English speaker like Schwarzkopf would not have used such a quaint phrase.

Re: I hate "ICONIC" - 05/06/08 07:19 AM

Ah, even more interesting... and another reason to dislike it.
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: I hate "ICONIC" - 05/07/08 07:12 PM

Two terms I hate: "politically correct" and "playing the race card." I hate them both for the same reason, which is they simply serve to shut down discussion by declaring certain topics taboo or off limits. For example:

Someone points out public schools are more segregated now than 30 years ago.
STOP PLAYING THE RACE CARD!

Think the jury in the Rodney King case might have been racially biased?
STOP LAYING THE RACE CARD!

Mention you think "[censored]" jokes are not funny?
STOP BEING POLITICALLY CORRECT!

Now let's how long it is before some on here says I am a PC nazi who loves playing the race card.
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: I hate "ICONIC" - 05/07/08 08:10 PM

You are a PC nazi who loves playing the race card!

Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: I hate "ICONIC" - 05/08/08 10:08 AM

A truly Iconic statement.

Re: I hate "ICONIC" - 05/08/08 05:10 PM

Indeed, the mother of all iconic statements.
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: I hate "ICONIC" - 05/08/08 05:51 PM

im not sure if i have to start my own thread, but i hate a combination of two words. "ground fighting" since mma style one on one sport fighting became popular its considered "vital", and yes it is important (jude).

fighting is fighting, who would want to fight with the ground?

Re: I hate "ICONIC" - 05/09/08 03:30 AM

It's like 'ground coffee'. I prefer mine from beans.
Posted by: clmibb

Re: I hate "ICONIC" - 05/10/08 11:25 PM

I hate it when people say ATM machine. That's what the "M" stands for; MACHINE. So please, everyone, never ever say, "I'm headed to the ATM machine." UGH! It's just an ATM.

Casey