Happy Birthday Tashigae

Posted by: Zombie Zero

Happy Birthday Tashigae - 04/01/08 01:56 PM

Wow... your birthday is on April Fool's Day... that must have been fun growing up.
Posted by: Tashigae

Thanks! - 04/01/08 02:31 PM

You bet it has!

In France, the April fool is called "April fish". The reason for that is an old medieval tradition. On that day, people used to try and hang a fish to someone else's back without them noticing, as a practical joke. This habit still lives on today, although fake paper fish have replaced the medieval fresh ones (or were they dried? I somewhat doubt the "street-practicality" of stealthily fastening a fresh fish to someone's back without being given away by the smell).
Why fish? I don't have the slightest clue. But the fish is strongly bound to April fool's day in France, somewhat like the bunny to Easter in Anglo-Saxon countries (no idea about that one either, by the way. In France, Easter symbols include the compulsory eggs, chickens and bells, but no rabbit. Go figure...)
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Thanks! - 04/01/08 04:56 PM

Joyeux anniversaire, Tashigae!
Today is also my grandson's 5th birthday.
At least the 'holiday' will never sneak up on you.
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: Thanks! - 04/01/08 10:46 PM

Bonne fête! C'est la fête de ma mère aussi, aujourd'hui. Milan Kundera aussi, mais lui, étrangement, il se prenait beaucoup trop au sérieux...
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Thanks! - 04/02/08 12:22 AM

Quote:

Bonne fête! C'est la fête de ma mère aussi, aujourd'hui. Milan Kundera aussi, mais lui, étrangement, il se prenait beaucoup trop au sérieux...

Dang! I can almost read that, after being away from high school French for 21 years.

Happy birthday to your mom, Ride. Not sure who Milan Kundera is or why (he? she? it?) is too much too serious (I am probably not translating that correctly).
Posted by: Taison

Re: Thanks! - 04/02/08 04:36 AM

I don't speak french and I can almost read that. . .

But then again, most European languages are so damn similar anyway so no wonder.

Bonne Anniversaire Tashigae. May the festivities commence!

-Taison out
Posted by: Tashigae

Thanks! - 04/02/08 01:52 PM

Thanks everyone!
I didn't know April fool's day was also Milan Kundera's birthday, but I know it's Mifune Toshiro's. And unfortunately, I believe he wasn't that much of a prankster either - unless of course you consider swift decapitation as a practical joke...

Oh, by the way, Milan Kundera is a czech writer. Looks like he isn't as famous in the US as he is in French-speaking countries, which is understandable since he wrote in both Czech and French, but no English as far as I'm aware.
Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Re: Thanks! - 04/02/08 02:04 PM

Happy Birthday!!! Sorry its a day late
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Thanks! - 04/02/08 11:59 PM

Shen Re Kuai Le. (Matt, Taison, this is not French)
Posted by: Taison

Re: Thanks! - 04/04/08 05:35 AM

Chuc mung sinh nhat!

Neither is this.

-Taison out