Update on JohnnyBoxcutter

Posted by: wristtwister

Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/09/08 06:55 PM

I got an update email from Jon today, and he said "hi" to everyone, and to tell you he is doing well.

He is no longer on chemo, and is being treated with alternative therapies. He said that his CEA (a cancer antigen) has dropped from 10K to 1100 over the last several months, but recent information on his tumors sizes concerned him. He has developed a recent infection, and is very tired all the time now.

I wish I had better news, for we are all on Jon's side in this fight against cancer. Keep him in your prayers and thoughts...

Posted by: Cord

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/09/08 11:03 PM

I wish him all the best, and he is master of his own decisions, but my heart sinks when I hear of people opting out of orthodox medical care in favour of 'alternative therapy'. i know they have their place in a holistic approach to life, but the big C needs some tried and tested scientific muscle behind the treatment. Its his path to walk as he sees fit though.

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/10/08 12:03 AM

I can't say that I disagree with you, but Jon knows his own mind about this, and after being there on a daily basis with my wife, I have my own reservations about "orthodox medical practice" for cancer. At least in the U.S., it seems to be "whatever the insurance will pay for", rather than programmed protocols... and I would be hard pressed to dive into chemo if I had to make the choice.

Rather than a "cure", the medical profession has learned to "delay death" from cancer, depending on your age and physical condition... but as for a cure with orthodox medical treatments... it's a stretch. They have "textbook" treatments, and an expected lifespan from each type of cancer and each regimen of treatment... hardly a cure in any sense I would call a "cure".

As you know, they've developed a lot of treatments that virtually eliminate recurrance of some types of cancer, but in general, they're simply putting you on a timetable. As someone once said in a movie, "we all die... but not everyone really lives..." Simply breathing and having a heartbeat isn't a life... and as people we want lives where we can do things, accomplish things, and interact with others... not simply survive for survival's sake.

One of my good friends at church died this past week, and he was 50 years old... and he had a good life. He left a wife and two sons, and the friendship of a lot of people... so he will be missed. All any of us leave behind are the memories of ourselves and our accomplishments.

I hope Jon beats this too... His ex-wife is helping treat him, and she is a TCM practitioner, and his progress with her help was almost immediate. He gained weight, and his numbers changed drastically to the positive side in his tests. I know that could be temporary, but as he put it to me... "I'm not dead and I should be"... "I'm not in pain, and I should be"...

All of us want him to get well.

Posted by: MattJ

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/10/08 08:56 AM

Quote:

All of us want him to get well.

Agreed. Please give him my best regards.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/10/08 10:23 AM

Likewise, pass on our best wishes.
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/10/08 10:59 AM

Best wishes to JBC! He's in a tough spot and makes hard decisions everyday. I don't know what I would be doing exactly if in the same spot.

I did read an excellent book called 'The Cure For All Cancers" by Dr. Hulda Clark. In it she discusses her 3 prong approach to curing cancer. That includes eliminating the cancer causing agents, attacking the tumors and strengthening the body.

What she has done with patients is identify what caused thier cancer. For some people it was as simple as household cleaners and chemicals. They were getting treatment for thier cancer while still being exposed to the same carcinogens. The physicians couldn't understand why they weren't getting better.

The book explains how people don't die from cancer, they die from the ravages of cancer on the body - heart failure, starvation, oxygen deprivation, etc. So nutrition therapy and other approaches to keeping the body strong is important.

Probably a good approach is to work the alrternative therapies in conjunction with the chemo, etc.

Dr Clarke has about 1 90% cure ratio and the only patients that died either got there too late or died from something else.

The book is a great read for those concerned about cancer in the future. A good understanding of cancer can help you avoid it.

And yes, your treatment is very dependent on the insurance company.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/10/08 02:41 PM

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clark.html
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/10/08 03:42 PM

I usually don't think highly of quackwatch, but man, those are some bizzare claims by Hulda!

Anyway I don't know JBC, but I wish him the best, chronic illness is always a difficult thing and my hope is for a speedy recovery.

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/10/08 04:02 PM

That's a nice hatchet job by quack watch.
I wonder if they get any money from tha AMA, drug companies or any others who would lose billions of dollars if cancer were really cured or better, prevented.

I read the book. It makes a lot of sense.

Maybe this is fodder for another thread. But I just looked at more pages of this quackwatch site. This guy is clearly a moron. I don't see how someone can deny that good nutrition plays a role in preventing and overcoming disease. But this "Dr". is doing just that.

I'll stick with the good sense of Hulda Clarke.
Posted by: Vennificus

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/10/08 04:36 PM

LS JBC

Hulda Clarke
A new obesity in a wave of mcScienists
unless by some chance she turns out to be right...
I'm just covering my ass there, I don't want to be called on of the people who think the earth cannot be round

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/11/08 05:37 AM

Guys, can we take the argument about the book and treatments elsewhere?

JBC is the one making the decisions and he's at the sharp end. I don't feel happy that we are using his right to chose as a battleground.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/11/08 08:47 AM

Ditto...

As long as he feels it is right and working, what does it matter his methods....
Posted by: cxt

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/11/08 10:43 AM

I wish him the best of luck.

Stay strong!

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/11/08 12:14 PM

I agree. This was to update everyone on his condition and how he is handling his treatment... not refight the wars over who's trying to perpetrate frauds.

Jon's a smart guy, and he's the one making the decisions regarding his life and health. Whether or not we agree or disagree with him, we all want him to get better. That's how we need to stay on point here.

Posted by: Reiki

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/17/08 07:08 PM

I am so pleased to hear he has improved!

Please pass on my regards and tell him Kia Kaha!

For those of you who don't know what this means:

"Kia Kaha" is an expression in the Maori language meaning 'Stay Strong / Stand Tall', it is used as encouragement when the going gets tough.

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/27/08 08:17 PM

Jon called me last night, and we talked for about 2 hours. It was great to talk to him, but unfortunately the news wasn't as good as the experience.

We kid each other about who's got the "best news", and his is always "I'm not dead yet"... which is hard to trump. He was doing well a couple of weeks ago, but he's developed an infection, and his course of treatment unfortunately focuses the body's ability to heal on "the problem" and while his body is fighting this infection, the cancer is running wild. He has a tumor the size of your fist on one of his major organs, and unfortunately is declining in his general health.

Jon's a really good guy, and he's got the best attitude of anyone I've ever known with a terminal illness. He really appreciates everyone's kindnesses and good wishes, and would post his own messages on the board, but he simply doesn't have the strength to do much of anything now.

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/27/08 08:30 PM

Grady -

Very kind of you to keep us updated with JBC. I am constantly humbled at the character of people that inhabit our little forum here. Please send him our continued good wishes.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/27/08 08:34 PM

JohnnyBoxCutter,

Thank you for keeping us abreast of your situation. I won't speak for anyone else on this board, but as a member in good standing, I consider you a friend, though we have never met face-to-face.

Give the b@st@rd hell, and take no quarter.

Z

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/27/08 08:55 PM

Thanks for keeping us posted, Grady.
JBC sounds like an incredible guy with a better attitude than many healthy people. His "good fight" is an inspiration. He's lucky to have a friend like you and you are lucky to know him.
We'll keep him and his family/friends in prayer.
Posted by: Vennificus

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/27/08 09:01 PM

At times like this, One can't do much, but laugh while you can, and pray.

I hope he gets better soon. I hear good things about him alot.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/27/08 09:52 PM

Damn, damn, damn. That's all I can say right now. Thanks, Grady, for letting us know.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/27/08 11:52 PM

I second harlan's comments...

It is such an inspiration to see him in high spirits.

Aside from on here I have or had some friends with or died of cancer. Such an unforgiving/brutal disease.

MY best wishes for JBC and he is in my prayers along with anyone else suffering from that disease...
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/28/08 01:13 AM

Best wishes.

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/28/08 06:00 AM

Hold on in there JBC.

Best wishes and you're in my thoughts.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/28/08 06:37 AM

live each day JBC, drink it like wine and let it make you rowdy, and come out swinging.
All my best to you.
Dave.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 02/28/08 10:29 AM

Wrist

Everyone is pulling for him.

Please pass along our hopes and prayers.

Is there anything we can do?
Posted by: jonnyboxcutter

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 03/05/08 02:39 PM

Hi All,
Wristtwister has been telling me about all the support but I just haven’t had the energy to come see for myself – it is truly nice to see. It’s humbling to find out how supportive people can really be. I’m learning new things about people through all this, things that I never learned with the family – Thank you all!!!!

On the TCM vs Traditional Western Medicine note – those that conversed with me on this board in the past should remember I was never one to hide from a good debate

Some thing to think about RE: TCM – for the last 5,000 years it has supported a major population – NON STOP. I would challenge anyone to find another form of medicine that can boast the same life span. Even when the communist took over and attempted to convert China to western style medicine it just went under ground; so saying use things that are “tested” is really up for interpretation.

Where the problems come in is similar to MA, most of the explanations can be rather deep and at best “magical” sounding. So true masters of the craft are hard to understand; this unfortunately makes it easy to scam people - think Dillman

A bit about my X wife – She studied and was later offered a teaching position at the largest TCM School in China. After 5 years she moved to Sweden to teach and practice TCM - she was the chair of the acupuncture department for the largest alternative medical clinic in Europe at the time. During her time there she published a book on TCM, received her MD, and traveled Europe giving TCM lecture. After that she moved to the US. I was introduced to her shortly after she arrived here - she was teaching Anatomy at the school that founded Chiropractic, as well as working on her Masters. She quit teaching and put the Masters on hold so she could accept a full scholarship for her DC (Doctor of Chiropractic). After that She completed her masters then turned Harvard down for Her PHD - she said she was sick of school. She has full TCM, Western Medicine, and Chiropractic Educations if she tells you its broke its broke, if she says she can fix it, you will get better.

My take on Chemo – I was on Chemo from June to December, every two weeks, 51 hours from start to finish. Imagine in every aspect you can think of, checking out of your life every other week - IT SUCKS!!!! Then there is the laundry list of side effects – but don’t worry we have a pill for that too. And that is how it begins; the snowball effect of medication. One of the cooler side effects was an extreme sensitivity to cold. Anything that touches cold instantly feels like it’s asleep to the point it hurts. I live in the Midwest – 3 hours west of Chicago - the cold air was too much to deal with in September. The truly fun part is that all the side effects are cumulative, so the longer you take it the worse they get so that “every other week” thing starts to blur and soon it spills into the next week and eventually you look like walking dead.

My situation – I started spending time with My X and the kids in September. In September My doctor started scratching his head when he would look at my papers and started calling me the all-mighty-one. I kept up with the Chemo and started noticing that the only time I really felt bad was during western treatment, I decided to pull the plug on it in December – I was unplugged from my last chemo treatment the day before thanksgiving. My Doctor freaked out when I told him I was done; when I told him he got p!ssed to the point he stormed out of the office. Within the next two months he was grilling me on what I was “taking” and asked to meet with her. He said “I have people that cant take Intravenous Chemotherapy and I would love to be able to help them in another way”. If you where to take a look at my CEA numbers it starts to make sense as to why he was so baffled in September - it dropped from 9700 to 6500 and continued to fall to a low of 1100 (normal range is 0-3). As Grady said I managed to develop an infection at an old wound site after doing “too much” and have been backsliding ever since – my body is just too weak to build back. It’s odd the best way I can describe how I feel now is similar to a day that if the wind wasn’t blowing it would be nice – well if I wasn’t in so damn much pain all the time I would feel good. I had a conversation with the Doc the day before Valentines Day (he has a way of screwing up holidays) and he said that without Chemo I’m looking at 6mo – 1yr, with Chemo possibly double. It was at this time I found out that I had a 9cm tumor in my liver – it’s now gained 1-2cm (there are others in my liver and they too got bigger but the big one is the one they are watching). Well the only time I feel really good is after time with my X. I sleep better, I can eat, and what ever hurts at the time feels better. This is 180 degrees off of the western medicine effects, I can’t sleep, food taste horrible, and this list goes on and gets nasty so I’ll stop here.

Basically, my position is this. I’m comfortable with the alternative side of things. In an odd way the magical explanations make sense to me. I see the offer of doubling my life with Chemo the same as saying – well you don’t feel too bad now, you can still function even if it hurts, if you go back on chemo I can take all that away and make you suffer for the next two years. Personally, I’ll take the chance that I can live better in a short time than I could suffering chemo. I’m just fortunate that I have the resources available to me that I have.

Thanks again for all the support, I’m happy that I took the time to come see what was going on - Ill stop by as energy permits.

-JBC-
Jon

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 03/05/08 02:48 PM

Great to see you back on here, Jon. I assure you that no one here gives a damn how you beat it.

Stay strong, and keep checking in!

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 03/05/08 02:49 PM

We are all rooting for you Jon. Take care.

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 03/05/08 03:34 PM

Thanks for sahring JBC!
Keep strong, do what you feel is best and we'll also be praying for you.

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 03/05/08 04:38 PM

Best to you and your wondeful family John. Stay strong, all of you.

TREV:-)
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 03/05/08 09:31 PM

No matter what you decide Jon, it's YOUR decision.

I know how hard it can be to be on chemo,but my prognosis was much different from yours.

I wish you and yours all the best.

Hang in there buddy.

Brian

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 03/06/08 09:12 AM

bump...for you energy types...just remember

'where thought goes...energy flows'
Posted by: clmibb

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 03/07/08 10:47 PM

Keep in touch JBC. We're all pulling for you here!

Casey
Posted by: jonnyboxcutter

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 03/09/08 01:35 PM

I hope everybody understands I was not intending to start a fight nor was I at all offended at anything that was said – that was not what I was going after. Heck, my doctor has a stronger opinion of TCM than I have seen on these boards – and trust me he isn’t afraid to share it. I know better than most that not all TCM practitioners are created equal, I was just trying to point that out. Honestly if I didn’t have access to my X, I would probably be on chemo – I would hate it but I’d be on it.

Anyway, Thank you again everybody. I’m still amazed at all the signatures. Its funny it’s not much more than clear text but it really made a positive impact. Its hard to explain it and I have tried a few times.

Thank you again,
-JBC-
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 03/09/08 02:01 PM

Hello JBC:

I've heard your name for a loooooooong time, a genuine pleasure to finally meet you! For myself, I have a fairly thick skin, no offense taken on either "side"... passion is not a bad thing IMHV-fwiw.

Jeff
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 03/10/08 08:22 AM

Family, support from friends, and good attitude can make one hell of a difference. It is good to see that you have a strong network of all these things. I hope the support you have gotten from your virtual family here has helped in some small way.

Stay strong and good luck.

Scottie
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 03/10/08 05:27 PM

Can't believe I didn't notice this thread earlier!

My best wishes to you Jon, I hope everything turns out well.

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 05/15/08 08:11 AM

bump

I miss you Johnny. Just wanted you to know.

I hope you are doing well.

-Narda
Posted by: dandjurdjevic

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 05/16/08 12:38 AM

Greetings JBC.

I wish you a speedy recovery and hope to chat on these boards soon.

Dan

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 05/22/08 08:49 AM

PM from Grady/WW today. Jon is not doing well, and seems to have taken a downturn. I've asked for his mailing address, as he is too weak to return to the forums.

Best wishes, Jon.

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 05/22/08 08:52 AM

Ditto. Stay strong, Jon.

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 05/22/08 02:43 PM

Hold in there Jon,

All power to thee and thine,

TREV
Posted by: jeff_andle

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 05/25/08 09:46 AM

Haven't had the pleasure of meeting you yet JBC, but I will. Hang tough and perservere.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Update on JohnnyBoxcutter - 05/25/08 02:15 PM

My thoughts and prayers are still with you.