Help with free website services

Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Help with free website services - 01/19/08 05:36 PM

I am looking into setting up my own website and was wondering if anyone here had any advice as to some good free site providers?
Posted by: aikiuke

Re: Help with free website services - 01/19/08 10:40 PM

Geocities is the only one I've had experience with. Pretty easy to figure out but there will be some ads on your page in a side tab. I don't remember how much space it gives you, probably enough though...
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: Help with free website services - 01/20/08 10:33 PM

Spruz is a pretty good one for simple stuff. You can make sites and forums on it. And its not real difficult either.

Spruz
Posted by: NewJitsu

Re: Help with free website services - 01/21/08 01:24 PM

My business currently has almost 400 clients, most of whom have a website. In dealing with these people, I have found that 9 times out of 10, those who use "free" design end up with a poor-performing website. And I say "free" because there's no such thing as a free lunch. It might not cost you dollars but when you think about the amount of time you have to invest in it... And how much is your time worth?

I am not a web designer, by the way, but I've learnt it's better to save and pay someone to do the job properly and professionally. You need the site to look good, to be easy-to-navigate and to be found on the search engines. If you can do all that without spending a lot of your time, then great! Otherwise, it may be wise to remember that for a lot of people, a business's website is their first port of call and their first impression of you.

Just my opinion of course! (But I speak with a combination of 15 years' business experience and learning the hard way of trying to build a site myself...!)

Re: Help with free website services - 01/21/08 05:16 PM

Thanks everyone. I was looking at free options just to get some experience until I can afford paying to get better options provided.
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Help with free website services - 01/21/08 10:52 PM

You could try a blogging website. Our school website is built on the www.blogger.com technology. While not flashy, it works for providing resources to our students.

Laura

Re: Help with free website services - 01/22/08 04:52 PM

Thanks Laura I'll add that to my list to review.