Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"?

Posted by: RazorFoot

Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 01:21 PM

I believe in honesty being the best policy and have ever since I was about 26 and made someone cry miserably over what I considered a small fib. I understood how it hurt them, why it hurt them, and how much trust and respect truly mean in any relationship.

At one point, I went off the deep end and became brutally honest and again, here come the tears. I was completely dumbfounded. I TOLD THE TRUTH! And still, the same reaction from someone else.

Moral dilemma, how do you keep true to your convictions but do so in a way that you don't shatter self esteem or someone's fragile version of reality where ever you go?

Please share your pain, lol.

Scottie
Posted by: harlan

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 01:26 PM

One guess: you're dealing with a woman...right? LOL!
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 01:28 PM

I'm a honest guy and always have been, and sometimes can be too honest at times as well. I tell it like it is and though I regret telling somethings ... well that is just me. I am responsible for my actions and I have to live up to them. However with that said I can "re-arrange" small lies so they are true or ring true even with evidence if need be. Nobody is perfect.

However at times if I hear something about somebody that I feel is wrong and if the person who they spoke about approaches me, I would be very tactful in telling them something that could have over the top reactions. I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings or get involved in something I shouldn't be, nor will I feed the flame.

I guess Scottie you have to weigh everything and see what is the greater good. Will people get hurt and will you be resented more so now or more so later; and then take the lesser of two evils. For me I over analyze things and always think of the worst possibilities and then make decisions on that.

Honesty most time "is" the best policy. You may look like a schmuck today but the repercussions could be far worse later if found out.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 01:38 PM

Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"?

Yes. 'Nuff said.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 01:38 PM

Quote:

One guess: you're dealing with a woman...right? LOL!

Men do cry, only that they laugh about it.

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 01:42 PM

Been too honest? Yes. There are always levels. You have to guage your speech.

'The light of Truth's mid-day is too harsh for tender leaves.' - Buddha
Posted by: Leonine

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 02:49 PM

"How pretty do you think I really am?"

Oi, I would answer it the same, but I wish I could take back the question.
Posted by: clmibb

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 03:03 PM

There's a fine line between being brutally honest and being nice and honset. Say your wife /girlfriend asks if the dress makes her look fat and honestly it does.
WRONG ANSWER: "OMG! Thank goodness you said something because I don't want to be seen with you out in public with your ass looking that big."
More tactful asnwer: "Sweetheart I like the color of that dress on you but I don't think that cut is right for you."
The time tested formula is: complement something about the situation + specific critcism of the problem (not the person) = being able to sleep in your own bed and not the couch. Just my own personal experience.

Casey

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 03:08 PM

Quote:

There's a fine line between being brutally honest and being nice and honset. Say your wife /girlfriend asks if the dress makes her look fat and honestly it does.
WRONG ANSWER: "OMG! Thank goodness you said something because I don't want to be seen with you out in public with your ass looking that big."
More tactful asnwer: "Sweetheart I like the color of that dress on you but I don't think that cut is right for you."
The time tested formula is: complement something about the situation + specific critcism of the problem (not the person) = being able to sleep in your own bed and not the couch. Just my own personal experience.

Casey

Your own personal experience??? How long did it take you to get your husband's blood stains out of the carpet and where did you hide the body?

Personally, dresses always make me look fat. Guess I will stick to shirts & pants. Oh wait, did I type that or think that?

Scottie

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 03:11 PM

Quote:

Say your wife /girlfriend asks if the dress makes her look fat and honestly it does.

CORRECT ANSWER: No honey that dress doesn't make you look fat, your continually eating and shoving food into your face makes you look fat.

My wife actually asked me something similar about a body part and I answered something comical that I still laugh about today. She didn't laugh but it still brings a smile to my face. I would share it but I don't think she would appreciate it. And I suspect other women wouldn't either.

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 03:17 PM

Quote:

Personally, dresses always make me look fat. Guess I will stick to shirts & pants. Oh wait, did I type that or think that?

Scottie

Dude, don't be so hard on yourself. It's not the dresses. I think it's more your choice of heels and lipstick. It overpowers the ensemble. Think sensible heels and earth tones.

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 03:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Scottie

Dude, don't be so hard on yourself. It's not the dresses. I think it's more your choice of heels and lipstick. It overpowers the ensemble. Think sensible heels and earth tones.

Great idea, can you spare any...wait, no you can't. Tami will whip dat arse if you don't bring back dat money. Now get out there and take no prisoners.

*MattJ leans on street light with "hey Sailor" look in his eyes*

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 03:27 PM

That is one ugly chick Scottie. That will give me nightmares.

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 03:30 PM

Scottie, Scottie, Scottie....I leave the blood stains on the carpet to serve as a reminder to him. When we are asked what the stains are, I glare at him and have him explain. LOL j/k.

It works in just about any situation. Say you are teaching a kid the side kick and they suck. What you really want to say is: "Geez Joey that was the absolute worst kick I've ever seen in my entire MA career. I thought Micheal's kicks were bad but yours take the cake!" What would be more tactful is: "Joey I like how your balance is coming along. Now what I want you to work on is bringing the knee more in front and keep the heel down while your kick is loaded up. Once you get that part down, the rest of the kick is easy." Honesty is wonderful and appreciated. The trick is to be tactful about your response.

Casey

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 03:43 PM

Nicely put Casey.

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 03:44 PM

Have you ever thought about a career in politics?
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 04:01 PM

The issue of Total Honesty is dependent on the question. Consider:

"Here's a picture of my baby. Isn't he cute?"

"Does this look infected to you?"

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"

Some questions can't be answered at all.

"Do you think she's prettier than me?"

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 04:37 PM

AWWWWW I love little baby cheeks!

"Does this look infected to you?"
It does look a little red around the edges. Have you put anything on it?

You need directions to the Krispy Kream?

Who? The only woman I see is you.

Casey

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 04:44 PM

Quote:

You need directions to the Krispy Kream?

Go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Quote:

Who? The only woman I see is you.

That's good. Very good.

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/28/07 04:59 PM

That's one my husband said to me. He's full of them. Another one? Shortly after having our daughter (I'm talking the day we got home from the hospital) I was changing clothes in the bedroom. My husband was in the room holding the baby and he looked at me. Feeling a little self conscious (as I'm still very flabby) I asked what he wanted. "I was totally unaware I married a goddess." Yeah he's great.

Casey
Posted by: Cord

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/29/07 04:26 AM

Quote:

Ans. "the instinct to find the young of others 'cute' is a natural mechanism to increase chance of survival of the young. Should you die, this instinct triggers nurturing reactions in the wider social group ensuring your young are cared for. Outside of this unstoppable reaction, my intellectual response is 'no' you baby is not cute. It is small, wrinkly, screams and gabbles incesantly, vomits on people and has no control of its bowels."

I seldom get invited to christenings. I actually turned down the request to be a godfather because i didnt agree with the oath to indoctrinate the child in the christain faith, and because I just plain didnt want to look after it if something went wrong. Cant say my friends were overjoyed at that answer, but thems the breaks.

Have I ever been too honest? I dont think so.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/30/07 02:38 AM

Quote:

'no' you baby is not cute. It is small, wrinkly, screams and gabbles incesantly, vomits on people and has no control of its bowels."

The manifestation of Cord's nickname... "Brutally honest".

-Taison out
Posted by: trevek

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/30/07 12:06 PM

Last year I was working in a summer language school and I covered another teacher's class for one session. I did nothing particularly special but after the class I had a number ofstudents come and ask if they could move to my group instead. I said I didn't have a group at that level and they asked about me taking over the group... they said they felt the other techer's classes were boring and not challenging enough.

I said they should go to the office and speak with someone there.

However, I felt it was only fair to try to warn the other teacher and maybe give her the news that the students weren't happy.

I saw her in the office and said I had something to tell her... then realised the awkwardness of the situation. Eventually she just said, "Tell me!", so I did... including the 'boring' bit!

Ten minutes later i was informed I was taking over the class. A couple of days later I asked her advice about the group and she huffed, "well, it's you they like... and I'm not very happy with you!" She then off-loaded all her frustrations and accused me of lording it about how great my single class was etc, etc.

Next time I know to keep my mouth shut.

Another ELT piece of brutal honesty was with a 15 year old student. We were pracitsing conditionals (IF sentences). The students had to say something to there partners using either the first or second conditional and the partner had to say whether they thought it was a 'likely' future or 'unlikely'

Example: 1st conditional is for likely/possible futures "If I win the lottery I will buy a car". (speaker thinks it's possible.

"If I WON the lottery I WOULD buy a car" (speaker thinks it's unlikely)

Well, martina said something to her partner and I asked her to tell the class.

"My dad says if I pass my exam he will buy me a mobile phone". (first conditional)

In front of the whole class I laughed... "Martina, that should have been in second conditional!"

For some reason I don't think she liked me after that.

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 09/30/07 12:07 PM

Butterflypalm, men do cry but women use it as a weapon! And I've told a couple that truth as well.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 10/02/07 09:06 AM

Quote:

Butterflypalm, men do cry but women use it as a weapon!

...just like male politicians? LOL.

But, seriously, if you want to impress a woman, just cry like a baby while watching a sad movie; it melts even the popcorn. Please don't get me wrong, I've never tried it!!!!!!

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 10/03/07 04:17 AM

Tried it. . .

Backfired totally. The lass thought I was a wuss. .

-Taison out

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 10/03/07 09:10 AM

Aparrently not a favorite with women who could stand toe to toe with you and duke it out. Taison, stop dating women from your Muay Thai classes. It doesnt matter how cute they are, you dont cry in front of women who can knock out three of your teeth.
Posted by: ChangLab

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 10/03/07 02:11 PM

All I have to add is that You can remain honest with someone but refuse to give them hurtful information.

Jill comes up to Jack and asks "What did John say about me?"

You may know what John said and it might be hurtful to Jill.
You can still answer "I'm not able to tell you"
that way YOU don't hurt the person. You also don't tell a lie.

Sometimes the person, if they feel that youre holding out on information they want to know will bug you.
Just be firm and say "I'm not getting involved"

My 2$

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 10/03/07 03:35 PM

Oh boy, NEVER even say something which lets a woman know you know something she doesn't and that she wants to know. they'll wear you down and leech it out of you!

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 10/03/07 09:01 PM

Yes...I have to agree. This is true.

Quote:

Oh boy, NEVER even say something which lets a woman know you know something she doesn't and that she wants to know. they'll wear you down and leech it out of you!

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 10/04/07 02:18 AM

Quote:

Aparrently not a favorite with women who could stand toe to toe with you and duke it out. Taison, stop dating women from your Muay Thai classes. It doesnt matter how cute they are, you dont cry in front of women who can knock out three of your teeth.

Sheesh mate, All of the people I've dated are like into some type of martial art. The first one was into goju-ryu, then the second one was a daughter of some guy who owned a MT gym, and the third and most recent does TKD.

Thankfully, she doesn't force me to do TKD, but arra mate, if she does, then this bulky build Judo-ka will have to learn to do the splits.

About being honest, I tell my girl each every time she asks me "do I look fat in this?" with "Aye, you do."

-Taison out
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 10/04/07 06:22 AM

Got fired once because I actually was naieve enough to report what the workers said about their jobs...

Honesty Joke...

A woman is checking out at the grocery store and notices a drunk standing at the ajoining checkout counter. She slides her quart of milk, loaf of bread and t-v dinners across the checkout, and the drunk comments... "Hey lady... you must be single."

Taken aback by the statement, she looks at what she's checking out and comments to the checkout clerk about how observant the guy was to be so drunk.

Again, he says "Hey lady... you're single aren't you?" As she walks by, she says "How'd you know I was single... was it the t-v dinners?"

"No..."said the drunk. "'Cause you're ugly"...

Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: Can you be or have you ever been "Too Honest"? - 10/28/07 12:10 AM

How you tell the truth is at least as important as telling it. Plus, be aware many people do not really want honesty unless what you say is also what they want to hear.