weightlifting lies

Posted by: alphawolf

weightlifting lies - 08/21/07 03:34 AM

Just a rather humorous trend i have noticed while browsing the net on various forums is that a lot of people tend to say they can lift these obscene amounts of weight. I don't know if im just super weak or everyone else is superman, but on websites like T-magnum and sherdog people always post how they can squat 400+ pounds at bodyweights of 180-220 lbs. Am i really as weak as i think or is everyone just a world class weightlifter?
Here's a link to a website with some strength standards
web page
Posted by: Dereck

Re: weightlifting lies - 08/21/07 09:36 AM

We've had that link on here before and discussed it and it is fairly accurate. At a weight of 207 lbs around 5 years ago, squatting 450 lbs was something I could do. At this point in life for each of the exercises I fall into these categories:

Press = Advanced
Bench Press = Advanced
Squat = Advanced
Deadlift = Intermediate
Clean = Unknown; don't do this exercise

Also understand a lot of people lie ... yes lie. I especially find this is younger people. Also I find that many people base what they lift according to machines which is not a good measure. I can stick 400 lbs of weight plates on my peck-deck but I can't bench anywhere close to that. This link is fairly accurate because I know I am not an Elite lifter though around 5 years ago there were a few that I was getting close on a few exercises.

The thing I'm going to tell you take to heart. If you are working as hard as you can, and I mean really hard, and you are getting the proper rest, drinking enough water and eating right ... be happy that you are healthy and strong. So if you are not as strong as some others at your weight class realize that you are lifting for "you" and nobody else. You cannot compare yourself with others and if you do that will eat at you. Push yourself to be the best, don't sacrifice form or technique just to say you lift a certain amount. The only constant in all of this is "you". You are unique so don't expect to be like others. Enjoy life as it is too short.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: weightlifting lies - 08/21/07 10:08 AM

Might not be lying. Might be steroids, too.
Posted by: Cord

Re: weightlifting lies - 08/21/07 03:59 PM

Quote:

Am i really as weak as i think or is everyone just a world class weightlifter?

Some people do exaggerate on the web, no doubt, but 400lb squat is far from world class. I am afraid their are many people lifting that amount for real in gyms in every town.

An old friend of mine is at european level in powerlifting. He competes at 205lbs. His 1rm for squat was 649lbs, for deadlift it was 605lbs, and for bench it was 550lbs.

In this years strongman grand prix series, one of the events was deadlifting the back end of a big car. The weight in the hands was 660lbs. The winner racked up 27 reps in 70 seconds. Now that is world class lifting.

You are not weak. You are improving. You should never use others to dafine your own achievements. If we both go for a 3 rep max deadlift, and I use 350 lbs, and you use 120 lbs, at the end of the 3 reps, we have both worked as hard as each other- I have not exerted greater effort than you. Think about that.
Its the effort and dedication that should make you feel good about yourself every time you train. Stay positive and the numbers will rise with time
Posted by: Al_Fernz

Re: weightlifting lies - 08/22/07 09:35 AM

I thought I was super weak until I figured that you add the weight of the bar onto your lifts.

Now I'm just plain weak!
Posted by: Dereck

Re: weightlifting lies - 08/22/07 03:20 PM

See, it is all up hill from here.