Project "Cloverfield"

Posted by: ScottO

Project "Cloverfield" - 07/07/07 05:27 PM

This thread is for those of you who could use a good mystery.
This was touched briefly on the 'Transformers' thread but I thought I'd just make a new thread to talk about it. It's of interest, I think.

If you didn't see Transformers, you may not want to read this! I wouldn't want to spoil anything, please

But for those of you that are interested also - - - -

Before the movie Transformers, there was a preview where it didn't give you the name of the movie, just a clip via handheld digital camera. A guy named Rob walks in on a surprise going-away party with his friends. He's going to Japan the next day.
The camera moves through the party and suddenly, there has been report of an earthquake and the lights go out. The news reports of a 'loud thunderous roar' and the party members scout up to the roof.
In the background, an explosion goes off with a robotic creature roaring and throwing fireballs at buildings and in the sky. You don't see the monster, just people running away from it. Then the Statue of Liberty's head rolls off into the street and your left with only the release date (1-18-08) and J.J. Abrams' name (LOST, Mission Impossible:III).

Apparently, J.J. loves to be cryptic and to spark mysteries to audiences. This movie was his top secret project, even the casting was done in secret. Everyone working on this project was forced to keep everything quiet. Paramount has pulled off links from YouTube of the pirated movie trailer.

I think this is a fun way to impose a new monster/destruction movie. He codenames it 'Cloverfield' for some unknown reason and it's been absolutely crazy how many people dashed online trying to figure out what it is. So, I've decided to give it its own little talk-about here, if you don't mind. I think it's fun.

This is the most ingenius way of marketting, I'm sure.

Official site: 1-18-08

Rumored co-relating clue site: Rumored Viral Site

Have fun and join in!
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Project "Cloverfield" - 07/07/07 10:23 PM

Yeah that ethanhaas site seems like the beginning of another alternate reality game. The flash game has its own alphabet, which once you figure out, allows you to read this other site:

http://ethanhaaswaswrong.blogspot.com/

Re: Project "Cloverfield" - 07/07/07 11:22 PM

After every puzzle you solve, there's a short movie of Van Mantra. I'll guess he's a surviving military officer and he's trying to unite everyone he can to help fight this monster.

If you need help with the puzzles, click one of the stars and you e-mail "him". He replies you back with a walkthrough of the puzzles. If you don't feel like doing that, you can find some of the videos on YouTube. One of the reasons people believe this site's related to the movie because Paramount has pulled those links also.

Ethan Haas is supposedly a prophet predicting this monster to destroy the world.

I'mmmm pretty sure this is the monster: Cthulhu

But maybe not. But maybe.

One thing's for sure, everyone who sees the trailer is seeing this movie.
Posted by: crablord

Re: Project "Cloverfield" - 07/07/07 11:35 PM

my brother has a Cthulhu plush toy lol.

can you link to the trailer? it sounds interesting

Re: Project "Cloverfield" - 07/07/07 11:45 PM

Paramount has pulled down all the links they've come across of the trailer online and deny the movie exists, pretty much. To find the trailer, let alone have decent quality, online would be pretty tough.

I'd rather you just see Transformers. They've purposely attached the trailer to the beginning of it, it's the summer's greatest blockbuster!

Maybe you'll be able to catch a glimpse of the low quality ones on YouTube, most likely 3 seconds before it's pulled.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Project "Cloverfield" - 07/08/07 02:46 PM

I saw that and wondered myself what the heck it was. You never get to see the monster but you hear it and know it isn't good. Interesting concept and marketing scheme.

Re: Project "Cloverfield" - 07/12/07 03:20 PM

Quote:

can you link to the trailer? it sounds interesting

Trailer
Posted by: crablord

Re: Project "Cloverfield" - 07/13/07 09:38 AM

I read most of the posts on that but the best idea i saw was

Quote:

It’s kinda obvious, i know, but if he says “It’s ALIVE!” (instead of “What is that?”), i’m thinking HE KNOWS what it is, and it’s something that should be dead or at least not be moving by itself and causing such a mayhem.

Then i ask: What could be familiar to him (and us) but would surprise everyone by doing what we saw in the teaser? Like a extinct creature of some sort. Or something inanimate, i don’t know"

thats it id wager, something like a statue coming alive or something.
everyone is so seeing this movie either way