Morgan Freeman to star as Nelson Mandella

Posted by: oldman

Morgan Freeman to star as Nelson Mandella - 06/22/07 02:02 PM

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117967399.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2562
Posted by: Cord

Re: Morgan Freeman to star as Nelson Mandella - 06/22/07 02:07 PM

Ah, the worlds favourite forgiven terrorist.

Seeing as how its based in south Africa, I wonder if Gerit Badenhorst will have a cameo?

Do you think anyone will 'go poopie'
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Morgan Freeman to star as Nelson Mandella - 06/22/07 02:08 PM

For the love of cheeses, I saw the words "Morgan Freeman" in the headline, and thought, "Oh, great, here we go again."

Glad it was a false alarm.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Morgan Freeman to star as Nelson Mandella - 06/22/07 02:14 PM

South Africa is NOT in the tropics, FOOL.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Morgan Freeman to star as Nelson Mandella - 06/22/07 02:20 PM

Quote:

For the love of cheeses, I saw the words "Morgan Freeman" in the headline, and thought, "Oh, great, here we go again."

"It was the best of times. It was the worst of times."

I could not help myself. Just think, there are people looking at this thinking

"What the H...."
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Morgan Freeman to star as Nelson Mandella - 06/22/07 02:40 PM

Nelson Mandella go poopie!

FOOLS!
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Morgan Freeman to star as Nelson Mandella - 06/22/07 05:45 PM

"Ah, the worlds favourite forgiven terrorist"

Posted by: grumbleweed

Re: Morgan Freeman to star as Nelson Mandella - 06/22/07 06:11 PM

one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter depending on what side of the fence you sit. blacks didn't have much of a foothold in south african society/politics when NM was 'active' in his younger days hence using violence to make his point, i suppose violence breeds violence. he wasn't going to get very far by saying 'excuse me sir can i have my say now'.....without him south africa would still have the apartheid system .....

i doubt things have moved on since i took this picture in soweto 11 years ago. i took a minibus 'tour' from my hotel in joburg. quite an eye opener to say the least. i really should work for cnn

Re: Morgan Freeman to star as Nelson Mandella - 06/22/07 06:52 PM

I am not condoning apartheid in any way, but the social infrastructure under the old regime was such that, despite the inherent discrimination, SA had a huge problem of illegal immigration from surrounding, racialy free, territories due to the comparative improvement in quality of everyday life.
Much like Biafra, India and even the former USSR, the high ideals of freedom seem to come at the expense of the reality of day to day existence.

Re: Morgan Freeman to star as Nelson Mandella - 06/23/07 05:56 AM

i hear you, huge amounts of economic black refugees flock and have flocked to south africa (many more since mugabes clusterfeck up in zimbabwe or rhodesia if people prefer ) for sometime now however plenty of long settled tribes were brutalised by the white man. it, the fight against apartheid, was never really about high ideals of freedom (that mindset was in the custody of the loony left brigade back here) just basic human dignity.

Re: Morgan Freeman to star as Nelson Mandella - 06/23/07 10:15 AM

African tribes have a long history of brutalising one another in far worse ways than 'the white man' came up with upon their arrival.

Quote:

the fight against apartheid, was never really about high ideals of freedom

Really? No one told the ANC that little nugget of info at the time.

lets not forget that it was Winnie Mandela who made burning tyre necklaces for her 'own people' not President Botha, and that many black citizens who were perfectly happy and well treated working on white owned farms were killed, and continue to be killed as traitors.

i believe in equality, and true equality can only occur when the wrongdoing and faults of both sides are acknowledged.

Re: Morgan Freeman to star as Nelson Mandella - 06/23/07 11:06 AM

<<African tribes have a long history of brutalising one another in far worse ways than 'the white man' came up with upon their arrival.>>

I know, hardly justifys it. we brits invented concerntration camps in the boer war giving out rough justice to the dutchies but were disgusted on the discovery of belson and mauthausen etc ......anyway, i look forward to the movie. i think morgan freeman will do a first class job
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Morgan Freeman to star as Nelson Mandella - 06/24/07 08:29 AM

since Morgan Freeman has played God in a movie before, I'm sure he can handle a non-fictional character as well.

<-- He, pities the fool -->