Online dating?

Posted by: Taison

Online dating? - 06/17/07 02:27 PM

Ok, I've heard some stuff about this phenomena.

How does it work? Really. . I have absolutely no idea.

Sure, some of my best friends are people I've never met in real life, but seriously, does anyone think that meeting someone online can actually lead to a fruitful relationship?

I'm extremely bored, so I'm just randomly posting this. Feel free to express your ideas.

-Taison out
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Online dating? - 06/17/07 02:34 PM

Hello Taison:

It works very nicely. And lets you sort out aspects of people, how they think quickly without being overly embarrassing in person. Whether/how they develop depends as always on what each of us brings to the proverbial table, bed, kitchen, relationship...

Time is required for the sorting process to be maximally effective...IMHE.

Some worked very nicely, others unfortunately did not. Depends on what you are seeking?! "Playmates" are easily found , but partners... requires more time, persistance.
Friends... we require time as well.

Jeff
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Online dating? - 06/17/07 03:24 PM

Whatever you do... don't meet anyone from craigslist.

Take my word for it... just don't do it.
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: Online dating? - 06/17/07 03:47 PM

Quote:

Whatever you do... don't meet anyone from craigslist.

Take my word for it... just don't do it.

The general rule for people on online dating services seems to be; "Attractive, single, mentally stable; choose two."
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Online dating? - 06/18/07 01:33 AM

Quote:

The general rule for people on online dating services seems to be; "Attractive, single, mentally stable; choose one."

Fixed.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Online dating? - 06/18/07 01:48 AM

For some inexplicable reason, eligible people in Singapore seems to have 'trouble' getting marriage partners and so the Government itself set up a government bureau for singles to meet and called this bureau the "Social Development Unit" ('SDU'); it went well until someone said that 'SDU' actually meant "Single Desperate & Ugly"

....eh....choose one?
Posted by: Cord

Re: Online dating? - 06/18/07 10:15 AM

If an individual has not got the time, or the social confidence/skills to meet/approach other people in person, then even if they 'bloom' online, the chances are that any real life escalation of a virtual relationship will be doomed by the limitations that necessitated the 'virtual' beginning in the first place
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Online dating? - 06/18/07 03:42 PM

Have never done on-line dating nor any other form of dating with the exception of good old fashion meeting somebody, initiating conversation and taking it from there. Heck, I've been out of the game since 1986 and am thankful.

However my brother is back into this scene and though he doesn't do too much on-line dating, he does a fair more on the phone dating scene with reviewing people's mailboxes, leaving messages, picking up messages, etc. He's done it before as did a friend and what they both referred to this is free sex, and lots of it. Having sex with 1 or more girls a week with every week being different ... sounds like the wrong way to go to meet people or start a relationship. In fact they both said if you want the easiest sex you have to get in touch with the ones saying they are looking for a long time relationship, not casual as the casual were less likely to give it up so early.

This makes me question how is the best way to meet that right person, or even a decent person? You only have so many friends you can count on. I think the bar scene is over-rated and probably not a good place to look for a long term relationship. Hanging out at the super market can't be that good. Health clubs ... do people really want to be bothered while they are working out all sweaty? Do you start going to church to meet a decent person and if so if you are not religious do you want to open that can of worms?

Thankfully these things I don't have to worry about. I think the older you get the harder it is. Everybody at my age who's looking for somebody was married or going through a separation/divorce and may or may not have kids. With this comes emotional baggage and upfront issues due to kids or exes. Those that are not with somebody you have to wonder why not? It doesn't sound like it is a win win situation. Don't have the foggiest idea of what I would do if I was in that position?????????
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: Online dating? - 06/18/07 04:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The general rule for people on online dating services seems to be; "Attractive, single, mentally stable; choose one."

Fixed.

Sounds like somebody had a bad experience...
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Online dating? - 06/18/07 04:13 PM

I can't speak for the on-line dating as much as I can for the phone dating one ... but the majority of the phone dating ones have not worked out, in fact I think I would say only 2% work out. I've known too many people get on it with some even marrying those people only to end in disaster. Not just minor disaster but major. This would be the reason I would never use something like this nor would I personally take my chances on on-line dating.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: Online dating? - 06/18/07 07:52 PM

I have never used on-line dating or done the chat room thing, but I met my wife on-line and we just had our 9 year anniversary last May.

I saw a post she made and I e-mailed her about it and.....

Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Online dating? - 06/18/07 11:36 PM

a few years back, I explored a bit into the online dating world for a couple months of chat (never got into the forum thing though). I went on alot of 'first and only' dates. I'll give some pros and cons related to that experience...I say these half in jest and exaggurate for effect - but they aren't too far off:

pro: better than meeting someone drunk at a bar...at least you know they are sober long enough to type a message.
con: They may ONLY have been sober long enough to type the message.

pro: some had a better in-person personality than on-line.
con: many had a better on-line personality.

pro: seeing an on-line picture prior to meeting.
con: finding out in-person that the picture was either 15 years ago, or of their younger sister.

pro: cool/impressive/interesting sounding descriptions of themselves with keywords: "athletic", "easy-going", "social", "ambitious", etc...
con: finding out their interpretation of those keywords:
- "So by 'athletic' you meant that you like watching 'bowling for dollars' and drag racing?"
- 'easy-going' could mean she already has a pillow next to hers ready for you to spend the night after the first date.
- 'social' = bar hopping 4+ nights a week.
- 'ambitious' ie: 'looking for a sugar-daddy'.

pro: she's looking for an honest man ready for a serious relationship.
con: she talks about how she would arrange her 'perfect wedding' even before the appetizers are serverd during the first-meet dinner.

pro: she can hold her drinks down well.
con: can drink you under the table.

The biggest concern with online dating is that it's too easy to lie and misrepresent. and after a $100+ dinner, you find out the details they happen to leave out (true situations):
She was married (acompanied by 'unhappily separated' - whatever that means - I translated that to mean: 'excess baggage').

Another dressed goth and had an 'online strip web-cam' business.

'average body build' but actually she was about 350lbs and worked up a sweat visiting the bathroom.

another mentioned in person that she smoked coke occationally for 'recreation'. nobody smokes crack as a passtime - either you are addicted or you are not.

don't get me wrong, I'm half-kidding around - there were good experiences too, but the bad ones are funnier.

online dating, I found, for my age group at the time anyway, was a 50/50 gamble with a lean towards the dishonest folk showing up. not really promising odds comparred to the traditional way of 'word of mouth' or 'line of sight' or even happenstance meetings.

online dating is probably changing though, I perceive that people are becoming more and more honest about themselves online. as the technology matures - so does it's use.
Posted by: crablord

Re: Online dating? - 06/19/07 03:09 AM

agreed.

ive met a few chicks off the net that ive seen pictures of.

all I can say is...[censored] you photoshop
Posted by: FightingSpirit

Re: Online dating? - 06/30/07 03:50 AM

my thoughts are that girls are hot