Video Game Industry

Posted by: TeK9

Video Game Industry - 06/05/07 03:49 PM

I am a recent college graduate who is looking to get into the video game industry. Does anyone here have experience in this industry?
Posted by: shadowkahn

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/05/07 05:40 PM

http://www.rpgamer.com/features/tommint.html
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/05/07 05:43 PM

No but good luck with that, that certain is an industry that is doing well for itself. To think of how many people like myself play video games. I'm currently waiting for the release of Assassin's Creed for the X-Box 360 ... that is going to be wicked.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/05/07 05:50 PM

I have a very good friend who is an animator for an online fantasy game. His background is graphic design and fine art, having first class honours degrees in both, the computer coding and stuff he learned through personal interest and on the job development.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/05/07 08:30 PM

Check out www.gamedev.net. The professionals post there. A word of warning, it's tough competition to get into the games industry. You're best working on a small game project with a group of people as a demo to show potential employers. Look into game modding for some experience. Here's something I made with my team which is a good example of a game demo which could get you into the short-list of a game developer job application: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACWjTFrGy18 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzUlbyBDnhE. You don't necessarily need something like that, it takes a while to learn the skills necessary to develop games in 3D but starting out with something like Tetris or a Counterstrike Source map is a good idea.

Also, knowledge of game technologies and APIs, such as OpenGL, DirectX and SDL are a plus. Depending on where you're looking to work, many programming languages can be expected; so be prepared to learn A LOT. C++ knowledge is basically mandatory for professional game development. You will be expected to program so get as much experience programming OOP style as soon as possible. This is for a programming job, if you're an artist, you can find more information on gamedev.

I've just finished my degree in BSc (Hons) Computer Games Technology. I'm also heading into the games industry but I'm going to pursue further education first. Best of luck to you.

Also, take what you can get, if you land a job making small games for mobile phones or working as a "code monkey" in a company making web games, take the job. Experience is worth more than any degree in this industry. All you have to do is break into the industry and get your name on a published title and more job opportunities will open up.

P.S. Whatever you do, DON'T work for EA, they'll ruin your life if you do. Most employees from EA are considered un-hirable afterwards, they're like damaged goods to the rest of the industry.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. I know a fair bit about this subject.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/05/07 09:24 PM

Why is it that former EA employees are unhirable?

-Taison out
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/05/07 09:36 PM

Most of them are considered "broken" after working there. EA employees are reputed to be overworked and underpaid. Check out http://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html?thread=752658 for an example.

EA employees lose their passion for game development and are likely to be disenchanted with the industry as a result. That company treats their employees as disposable and replaceable. One of their top managers even implied that if they buy some other game company over, they can sack the employees as long as the intellectual property is good. If you ask me it's despicable.

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/05/07 09:38 PM

Me being an addicted WoW player, why not see if Blizzard have any job opportunities for you.

Been hearing that they always have a few spots open.

-Taison out
Posted by: crablord

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/05/07 11:30 PM

LFG!! WTB DM RUN!!

WTS [dagger of kel thuzard] PST WITH OFFER!

lol. wow speak.

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/06/07 02:08 AM

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies and please keep them coming. I earned my bachelor's degree in Industrial/Organizational psychology my brother in computer sciences. Funny thing happen today, he got called in by Lucas Arts for a job he didn't even apply for. He has an interview for Lead tester in a few days, hopefully I can get a job in HR or QA testing, I want to be a producer. I know I can handle the job however, I've never actually seen what a producer does, so I have no comparison, but according to the job description I meet the requirements except of course the experience.

-Budgeting
-Time keeper
-Goal Setter
-Decision Maker
-Conflict Resolution
-Planner
-Presenter
-Team builder
-Prioritizer
-Organizer

I practically took a course in all these things, and I have all these attributes.

P.S. what a coincidence my brother gets all call immediately after I post this thread. If he gets paid to play games I should get ayed to sleep...

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/06/07 11:24 AM

I'm sorry, I only run Karazhan and Gruul's lair nowadays.

I have however, Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker . Sure the Thunderfury is just for collection, but man, I love it but it's on my warrior. Stopped playing him a while ago, and then switched to Horde to play BE Paladin. Gorehowl is in the Pally's hand.

And I'm retribution specced, and I make rogues and mages cry in disbelief when I can outdps them like sissies and then just bubble when I get aggro, and end up killing a few locks, only to then go back to dps'ing? Oh I also forgot to mention I can heal too. To be honest, I don't do great dps, but I do tend to be at the top, and I rarely die. When I do it's either because I got such a high proc with Seal of Blood, that I accidentally killed myself or I DI'ed someone to prevent a wipe.

-Taison out (Yeah, I'm a nerd)

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/06/07 11:32 AM

*taison decreases in muscle mass as he types.

well my 40 lock is decked out and im afraid he will lay teh gank on you. ph3ar ftw.

Im saving for my black war mount, AV also ftw.

although horde win it way more

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/06/07 11:44 AM

Nope nope.

Bubble, Hammer of justice, seal of crusader, judge, seal of blood, hit hit, repentance, crusader strike, hit hit, repentance, judge SoB, hit hit, seal of command, hammer of justice, crusader strike judge seal of command, hammer of wrath. Win.

Instant win strategy. Suffice to say, I've only lost to protection warriors with good gear and shadow priest. Warlocks are still 70/30 in their favor.

-Taison out

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/06/07 11:49 AM

fear wand fear wand fear wand fear wand WIN. lol

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/06/07 11:54 AM

Sorry, Paladins have pvp trinkets and bubble. And let's not forget, that once you're hit with hammer of justice for the first time, there's nothing you can do to get out of the stun-lock.

1 on 1 against paladin is pretty much hopeless. If you're a caster against a ret paladin, expect for every crit you do you get 30% back towards you. I once got blasted for 4400 from a soul-fire. I didn't die, but the lock ended up killing himself because of it. Eye for an Eye.

Oh, and I don't lose muscle mass either. I actually train while waiting for a spot in the raid, or when I'm waiting for group members to get to the instances. Other than that, I'm pretty much solo farming everything.

And why are we talking about WoW on this thread? Hey let's continue this on PM or something.

-Taison out

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/06/07 12:07 PM

Did any of you ever play D2 or D2 xpac? I played both on west coast domain.

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/06/07 12:16 PM

Yup, played D2 and LoD.

Played... PALADIN!

And to be honest, I owned in that game too. I'm just naturally talented with any rpg game that has "paladin" in it. But in D2 I was a lot better when my buddy, a barbarian and Amazon were there to support me. I was mostly a pole-arm paladin who 'supported' by smacking people from behind with zeal and decisively changing auras to turn the tide of battle. Too bad I didn't have heals like in WoW.

-Taison out
Posted by: Spade

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/06/07 01:04 PM

Why don't you go bubble and hearth.

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/06/07 01:51 PM

Taison what realm did you play in, because if you played in the west realm then we've probably met. Everyone knows Tek in D2.

Re: Video Game Industry - 06/06/07 10:10 PM

Spade;

I've only bubbled + hearth when I was surrounded by at least 7 alliances sissies. Hate them when they call for back up. I mean, 1 friggin' paladin, they need a group to beat??

Tek;

I played in Asian realm. With Koreans. Who hack. And cheats. And love looting your stuff.

I've got nothing against koreans, but man are they good at hacking.

Actually Tek, I think I've heard of you, but you've probably haven't heard of me because I wasn't that famous. I just went around, killed people and looted them. PK'er. Oh well.

-Taison out