I'm bringing geeky back.

Posted by: Zombie Zero

I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 10:07 AM

Ask anyone who knows me well, and they'll tell you I'm a geek, and they know darn well to smile when they say that.

Given some of the recent GT threads, especially the Star Wars/Lord of the Rings related ones, I know you all have a bit of geek in you, as well.

As for me, I'm a computer support tech, I can quote Monty Python, The Simpsons, and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy until you want to hang yourself, I'm a video game junkie, and I think puns are the highest form of comedy.
(Oh yes, ladies, he's single! )

So, here's your chance to fess up. What about you makes you a geek?
Posted by: Taison

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 10:15 AM

Star wars, LOTR, Warhammer, Forgotten realms are some.

And the Marvel series.

But mostly, anything that involves orcs and elves. And yes, I'm siding with the Orcs. Uruk Hai can make those elves cr4p their pants anyday.

-Taison out
Posted by: Ayub

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 10:18 AM

I denied it for a very long time but in the last few weeks I have found out that, I too am a geek, but only a bit.

I am addicted to watching Japanese animation, I thought that was cool, but its not really. Im the only one of my friends studying abroad that has a games console in my room, and Ill obsess over being able to beat people at Street Fighter (why do I do that?!).

I dont go as far as to love LOTR and star wars. I think star wars and good movies and leave it at that. I dont like LOTR too much, and I have read the book, watched the movies and played the game. I dont have LAN parties! One of my geek friends came up to me the other day and said we should all bring our laptops over to his and play multi player Farscape and whatnot, now thats geeky!

I cant wait for Taison, WuXing, ChenZen and a few others to post, they just come across as supergeeks...
Posted by: MattJ

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 10:19 AM

What about me ISN'T geeky. Comic books, Simpsons, sci-fi in general, enjoys reading, doesn't drink, smoke, or do drugs, not into team sports.

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 10:21 AM

Oh, I forgot to add Warcraft and Starcraft.

And some japanese anime, but that's more like something I do when bored. And no, I hate the gundam series. They suck.

-Taison out

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 10:23 AM

Wow, Im such a geek I didnt even consider these things you listed as geeky!

I take your:
Quote:

Comic books, Simpsons, sci-fi in general, enjoys reading, doesn't drink, smoke, or do drugs, not into team sports.

and raise you enjoying a good game of chess with a cup of tea every afternoon!

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 10:28 AM

Quote:

And no, I hate the gundam series. They suck.

Oh My Days! I have been ODing (overdosing) on Gundam Wing these days and its, amazingly genius and the action is sublimely awesome (being overcome with geekiness ). Have you ever seen a whole Gundam series? I think youll find the deep storyline is deeper and more interesting than a mini-me with hairy feet trying to destroy a ring at the mountain it was made and hence saving the earth (middle) .

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 10:33 AM

Watched Gundam Seed.

I mean, c'mon, if my robot or Mobile Suit runs out of ammo, it will go in and punch another mobile suit in the "head" which is supposedly the radar and camera?

I'll stick with the hairy mini-me with a lightsaber out to destroy the ring which was crafted by an evil sith lord.

A good anime? Naruto, Ninja's Scroll, Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Berserk. I have to re-iterate "Berserk". The best manga EVER.

-Taison out

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 10:36 AM

Quote:

I take your:
Quote:

Comic books, Simpsons, sci-fi in general, enjoys reading, doesn't drink, smoke, or do drugs, not into team sports.

and raise you enjoying a good game of chess with a cup of tea every afternoon!

That is pretty geeky. But I will double down on your geekiness by mentioning that my wife talked me into getting 2 cats as pets.

That flushing sound you hear? Yeah, that's my manhood.

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 10:52 AM

I think after this we need to start a who can do the most pull ups whilst breaking bottles on their head 'man' thread!
Posted by: Landus

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 10:58 AM

The ignorance of others.
Posted by: Cord

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 11:07 AM

Quote:

So, here's your chance to fess up. What about you makes you a geek?

I can quote numerous movies start to finish with no prompts

I collect comics

I am a yoda of movie trivia, and own over 450 dvd's (largely cult/rare/genre), all of which I have watched multiple times.

I am an experienced live role player

I am a goth, and have a huge music library

I am a dedicated video gamer

I always see my health and fitness 'thang' as equivalent to being a computer geek. Talking enthusiasticaly about core function is very nerdish.

I collect film/comic action figures

I collect bladed weapons
Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 11:15 AM

I scored about 43.5% on the geek test at InnerGeek, if that's any justification.

I laugh at physics jokes.
Posted by: grumbleweed

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 11:19 AM

<<I collect bladed weapons>>

That makes you a borderline phsyco not a geek!! Folks, Cord even brings them to work from time to time

<<I am a yoda of movie trivia, >>

Anyone on the shift can testify this, incredible!

<<I am an experienced live role player>>

I listen to Radio Cambridgeshire. How geeky is that?
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 11:21 AM

1) Im an accountant. So its just automatic that I'm a geek/nerd.

2) I have no game when it comes to women. I landed the one I have now because she persued me!

3) Star Wars, Montey Python, Street Fighter the animated movie, etc.

PS

"We are the knights that say... KNEE!!"

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 11:33 AM

WHOA -

Quote:

I laugh at physics jokes.

While Cord and Raul have impressive nerd factors, TP has earned the crown thus far.

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 11:38 AM

Geek jokes:

Two hydrogen atoms are walking down the street.
The first one says, "Oh, no! I lost an electron!"
The second says, "Are you sure?"
The first one says, "Yes, I'm positive."
Posted by: harlan

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 11:38 AM

'Johnny is a good boy, Johnny is no more..
for what he thought was H2O was H2SO4'.
Posted by: oldman

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 11:48 AM

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 11:50 AM

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 11:53 AM

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 11:54 AM

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 11:58 AM

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 12:00 PM

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 12:02 PM

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 12:09 PM

Is it just me, or does that wizard's staff look a bit... Freudian?
Posted by: olga

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 12:43 PM

Guys, I am not impressed. Most of you are not TRUE geeks.

Star Wars, Mighty Python, the Simpsons? That does not make you geeky at all—it only makes you well-versed in pop culture and cult classics. Most people I know, watch and can quote these movies, anime and more, and most of them play chess and drink tea—I would call only a few of them geeks.

REAL geeks, play with miniatures every Thursday night until 3am at some obscure gaming store in which one of them still works full time, even though he is 35. REAL geeks own those 12-sided dice and play real-life D&D and argue about who gets to be the wizard.

REAL geeks live in very messy rooms and have digital girlfriends...

Anyway, I've known some geeks in my life, so this list can go on and on.

You guys are just normal.

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 12:45 PM

Quote:

You guys are just normal.

Wow... that was just mean!

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 01:05 PM

Geekiness isn't an absolute. It's falling somewhere on a continuum. Under the 'Bell curve' of geekiness are the techi-prats that can dissect Star Trek trivia, and haunt gaming rooms for pick up games of D&D.

Then, there is the 'martial arts geek'.

Hmmm...geek or nerd? What's the diff?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerd
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek_chic

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 01:13 PM

Besides, there's a fundamental difference between geeks and nerds, the latter being what Olga described.

Just as there is a difference between a dork and a dweeb, a goober and a spaz.

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 01:13 PM

Quote:

REAL geeks, play with miniatures every Thursday night until 3am at some obscure gaming store in which one of them still works full time, even though he is 35. REAL geeks own those 12-sided dice and play real-life D&D and argue about who gets to be the wizard.

Yup. I'm in there. I go to Siam Discovery every Saturday and enjoy a game of Warhammer, which involves hundreds of miniatures and 12 sided dices. Concerning D&D, I always play the fighter.

Quote:

REAL geeks live in very messy rooms and have digital girlfriends...

Ok, my room is neat and tidy, and I have a real girl-friend. Well... still dating sort of. So I fail there.

And I collect shiny and metallic accessories anything from necklaces, rings, ear-rings, ear-studs. As long it's shiny and metal.

-Taison out
Posted by: olga

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 01:35 PM

Quote:

Besides, there's a fundamental difference between geeks and nerds, the latter being what Olga described.

Just as there is a difference between a dork and a dweeb, a goober and a spaz.

Oh, wow, this is more more complex than I thought...

But I sitll stand in saying that movies and TV shows listed earlier, as well as chess, are not indicators of "geekism." Enjoying those things is quite common.

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 01:36 PM

Well...times change. They USED to be a factor. Now...well...it's almost fashionable to be geek! Bunch of wannabees.

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 01:37 PM

Quote:

Now...well...it's almost fashionable to be geek!

Geek chic?

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 01:42 PM

As applied to the martial arts, a real geek:

-thinks about applying 'kill moves' to the old lady in front of him while waiting in the grocery line

-learns a foreign language just in case he ever meets a sensei that doesn't speak English

-wakes up in the middle of the night and just HAS to work on a technique he/she dreamt of (in boxer shorts, in the driveway, in the winter...of course)

-goes to the bookstore and can't understand why the selection of MA books is so crappy

The list goes on...

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 01:45 PM

You've been following me around.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 02:45 PM

I think you can like all of that stuff and still not be a geek. I loved playing sports and still enjoy watching them, especially NFL Football. My basement has all of the hockey team banners and my down stairs bathroom is a Mighty Ducks bathroom decked out totally. I worked out all of the time, train MA and love watching MMA.

However I like shows like the Star Trek series, Battlestar Galactica (more the newer now), Star Wars, etc. I grew up enjoying reading fantasy books from the Forgotten Realms, Dragon Lance, Tolkien, etc. I have always been a big video gamer both in arcades and at home. There are many movies I've watched over and over that I can repeat back almost word for word such as Days of Thunder or Top Gun.

Nope, not a geek at all, I'm too cool for that.
Posted by: Xibalba

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 03:05 PM

Ditto much of what you all have said, however I have video proof of my nerdiness:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=pukanger

I am training my son well, ensuring that he will be living in my basement well until his 30s without ever having actually kissed a real girl.

Peace,
Mike

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 07:04 PM

Quote:

And I collect shiny and metallic accessories anything from necklaces, rings, ear-rings, ear-studs. As long it's shiny and metal.

Geeky? Thats just bizarre!

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/08/07 11:58 PM

I dont know why, I'm just partial to shiny stuff. I like good craftmanship. Stuff like buckles with Native American designs, tribal necklaces from New Zealand, rings with calligraphy or skulls.

I think it's the blacksmith within me. My great great grandpa was a blacksmith btw. I've always been fond of good craftmanship especially when it comes to metal.

Don't let ne talk about knives, swords, axes and that stuff. Then I'll be talking your ear off about tempering, sharpening, testing and bending.

And shiny stuff! Minerals and ores that are shiny. Topaz, Ruby, Emerald, etc etc. I love them. Shiny shiny.

-Taison out
Posted by: JoelM

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/09/07 08:55 AM

Quote:

And shiny stuff! Minerals and ores that are shiny. Topaz, Ruby, Emerald, etc etc. I love them. Shiny shiny.

My fiance just likes diamonds...
Posted by: Cord

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/09/07 09:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My fiance just likes diamonds...

I refuse to travel this road because I know it will end in me cracking a joke about a pearl necklace
Posted by: JoelM

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/09/07 10:31 AM

Posted by: Dereck

Re: I'm bringing geeky back. - 03/09/07 11:35 AM

Quote:

I refuse to travel this road because I know it will end in me cracking a joke about a pearl necklace

Bad Cord, bad.