Rocks

Posted by: Saisho

Rocks - 12/27/06 02:47 PM

My 8 year old daughter has developed a fascination with rocks over the past year. She wants to be a geologist when she grows up.

It crossed my mind today that some of you from areas a bit away from Ohio, USA might be willing and able to mail some small rocks from your neck of the woods.

I have not looked into it at all, so I don't know how possible it is, but I would think a small enough rock could be put into a regular envelope.

If anyone thinks they could do this, let me know and I will give you my address.

(My 200th post and it is about rocks of all things)
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: Rocks - 12/27/06 05:28 PM

You should have asked two months ago when the soil wasn't frozen...
Posted by: clmibb

Re: Rocks - 12/27/06 06:17 PM

Do they have to be rocks from Ohio? I'm a geology student (I'm taking my core classes right now and will be starting my geology classes in about a year or so. There is lime stone here and a few others (I'll have to look it up). I also have a website that has pictures of different rock formations if she is interested.

Casey

Re: Rocks - 12/27/06 08:56 PM

The rocks would not have to be any specific types or special in any way. As an 8 year old with ambitions of studying rocks when she grows up, I think knowing she has rocks that are from other places (even if the same kind can be found in Ohio) would be one of the coolest things.

Hey Ride, I am sure it will eventually warm up in Canada. I was there for training last July and it was darn near hot!

Re: Rocks - 12/28/06 12:18 PM

I think I have a rose quartz somewhere here at home if she wants it. I'll also go rock hunting. There are many areas of geology to study (kinda like saying your going to be a doctor, there's oncologists, podietrists, pediatricians....) I personally plan to go into the oil industry after I get my Batchlor's degree. Just to let you know. Oh I think I have a purple rock too (forgot the name) if you want it.

Casey

Re: Rocks - 12/28/06 06:17 PM

She would be thrilled with anything. In fact, if anyone gets around to sending any, they can be addressed straight to her

Riley Partlow
5869 Over Brooke Road
Dayton, Ohio 45440

Thank you to everyone who is considering this.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Rocks - 12/28/06 06:20 PM

I'd advise you to keep your address private and ask people who want to help to PM you for it. Just helping you avoid getting more junk mail that's all.

Re: Rocks - 12/28/06 08:36 PM

I had originally planned on doing that, but then I realized that my address was already posted on the flyer for the upcoming Taba Sensei seminar I am hosting.

Thanks for the thought.

Re: Rocks - 12/28/06 11:50 PM

I lied I can't find my rose quartz or my purple rock Sorry. I'll see about going down to the geological society building (yes there is a whole building full of rock nerds )I'll see what they are willing to give away and send some to her.

Casey