Computer Virus warning!

Posted by: MattJ

Computer Virus warning! - 12/21/06 04:48 PM

I saw this on MAP -

"Recently a new virus dubbed "Backdoor.Win32.MSNMaker.ab" (and also known under the name of "Troj/MSNMk-C"), has been spreading through Windows Live Messenger. Once your PC is infected it will spread itself to your buddies.

Like almost all other virusses, it tries to trick you into clicking a malicious link.

The message you will receive via Messenger is similar to "check http ://e-christmascards.info/****. exe (it has been known to include other URLs as well!), and pretends to be a e-card coming from your buddy.

Do not click the link !!!!!"
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Computer Virus warning! - 12/21/06 04:55 PM

ooooh! don't want to catch a backdoor virus...thats for sure.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Computer Virus warning! - 12/22/06 12:48 AM

A windows virus?!?!
You're kidding, windows gets malware and viruses?!?!
Basic security measures prevent this stuff: Never open attachments-never,ever no matter who you believe it is from.

The gaping security whole that is windows is why I ditched it 4 years ago, first for linux and now for Macs.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: Computer Virus warning! - 12/22/06 01:13 PM

Quote:

The gaping security whole that is windows is why I ditched it 4 years ago, first for linux and now for Macs

Macs don't get viruses because the people that make the viruse know there is never anything important on a Mac
Posted by: crablord

Re: Computer Virus warning! - 12/23/06 09:15 AM

true
Posted by: Ted_Karate

Re: Computer Virus warning! - 12/28/06 04:38 PM

Ive never fully understood what people gained from making viruses and pissing off people worldwide...
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Computer Virus warning! - 12/28/06 05:14 PM

Quote:

Ive never fully understood what people gained from making viruses and pissing off people worldwide...

The classic hacker rationale: "I'm doing it to expose security flaws in the program! I'm performing a public service keeping t3h 1nt3rn3t safe!!"

Maybe you guys could just WRITE A FRIGGIN LETTER NEXT TIME, HUH?
Posted by: migo

Re: Computer Virus warning! - 01/05/07 05:21 AM

Quote:

It supports the AV industry. That's how it got started, out of work russian programmers after the fall of the soviet union.