I just won....

Posted by: Eric4444

I just won.... - 10/20/06 10:01 PM

600 dollars.

Yay me.

Because of college I have been pretty much penniless that last few months.
For eight weeks I've gone without buying anything (except a 4 or 5 books to read when I have free time).

I want to save up for a gaming PC, I want to save up for a car, I want to start taking Aikido lessons.

Three very good reasons to save this 600 dollars.
However, part of me is saying: "You live your whole life like a 40 year old, you never splurge or enjoy the finer things in life!"

I think the waste it on fancy clothes and shiny things side is beating out my normal conservative side this time...
Posted by: MattJ

Re: I just won.... - 10/20/06 10:08 PM

Tough call. What I usually do when I encounter "found money" is to spend half and save half. This way you get the satisfaction of buying something you want, and still putting some away for when you REALLY need it.

People do need to live a little bit, IMHO.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: I just won.... - 10/21/06 03:40 AM

Unlike Matt, which by the way isn't a bad idea, I on the other hand always take into account things that are required and put the money to that. As it is found money then that gets you ahead of the game and makes it easier down the road for you. If you spend it on something just for the heck of it you have to remember you did not have the money previous and you've lived this long without this already. It is almost what is "needed" and what is "wanted". One is a necessity and the other isn't.

When it all boils down to it, it is up to you. You will have me on one shoulder saying don't spend it, somebody else will be on the other shoulder saying spend it, and then you will have Matt in the middle saying spend some but save some. Who is the devil and who is the angel, you will have to decide? As for Matt ... he's neither the devil or an angel ... he's stuck in pergatory somewhere and I don't know what they would be called????

Re: I just won.... - 10/21/06 12:40 PM

Ok, well, thank you both.
I think I may have to go a little more with Matt's idea.
I'm going to pay for two months of Aikido, a weekend pass to Disney World to relieve some stress, and maybe a couple new shirts. I'll save the rest.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: I just won.... - 10/22/06 10:13 AM

There are certain points in one's life where we buy what we need and not what we want.

There is no end to what we want, while what we need can basically be catered for rather cheaply.
Posted by: Cord

Re: I just won.... - 10/22/06 05:21 PM

You should spend half the cash on expensive wine and cheap women.
The other half you should waste on uninportant things
Posted by: Dereck

Re: I just won.... - 10/22/06 05:49 PM

And Cord would be the devil on the other shoulder.
Posted by: Taison

Re: I just won.... - 10/23/06 03:48 AM

Don't spend, don't spend!

Keep it for rainy days. There was a purpose that you were given the money. It is for emergencies! Keep it.

Imagine if suddenly, you have to pay 450$ for college out of the blue. Then you'd be wishing you didn't buy those clothes, now did you?

Get a part-time job for the aikido, car, computer stuff. I find using my earnt money quite a satisfaction. Using "found" money on something unimportant makes me depressed.

-Taison out

ps. . I am the devil.

Re: I just won.... - 10/23/06 02:55 PM

I won't have to pay money for college out of the blue, I have $9000 in an emergency fund for things like that.

I just got a part time job, but I don't feel like spending that money on Aikido.

I have savings accounts, and CD's and stocks, and bonds, and all of that stuff.
I want ME money!
Posted by: harlan

Re: I just won.... - 10/23/06 03:04 PM

Save it. Now is the time to start good habits. If you just can't save it all , then get in the habit of saving a portion of what comes your way.