Moments of stupidity can make you smarter.

Posted by: Zombie Zero

Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/18/06 04:04 PM

When I was eight years old, I was riding my bike down hill, very fast. I was barefoot, wearing only shorts and a t-shirt (helmets and kneepads hadn't been invented yet)

I found myself wondering what would happen if I stuck my foot through the spokes of the front wheel. Being more interested in application than theory, I went ahead and did it.

Immediately my bike went end over end, and I went rolling down the street. I wasn't seriously hurt, but I learned a little about physics that day.

The next year, I wanted to know how far I could ride my bike at full speed with my eyes closed. (there's a pattern developing here.)

It only took a parked minivan to solve that puzzle. I never rode with my eyes closed again.

I've done plenty of stupid things that taught me something as an adult, but I'll save those for later.

What stupid things have you done that made you smarter?
Posted by: trevek

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/18/06 04:17 PM

I joined the army!
Posted by: stormbringer

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/18/06 04:53 PM

When I was younger, my cousins had me ride downhill on a bicycle while they threw footballs at me from about 50 yds away. Thankfully they never turned out to be quarterbacks. Another fun time was when it snowed..we would put our sleds on top of a hill that was about 100-150 yds high. At the bottom of the hill there was a barbed wire fence. We would get going reasonably fast and bail out at the last second. I always chickened out, but it was still fun. From my experiences, I learned to never listen to my cousins. (I was a generally smart kid).
Posted by: 5353

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/18/06 08:30 PM

when iwa young i used to get into it with my older bro. one day we were playing b-ball and he [censored] me off so i threw a rock at him then ran i thougt i wa far enough away and slowed down and BAM i wa out cold. he had picked up a rock and threw it and it hit me in the temple. when i came thrugh i ran into my house yelling and crying and BAM my dad ko'ed me saying don't ever come screaming in the house like that i thought something was wrong with you, i had blood rolling down the side of my face. lesson learned don't through rocks at my bro and don't [censored] dad off.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/18/06 11:11 PM

Jeeze your dads a jerk.. no offense. Yeah I've done a few stupid things in my time (about 16 years worth). Can't remember msot of them, but I've doen some really idiotic stunts in my lifetime.

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/19/06 01:02 AM

my dad has passed away, and no offense taken he was a hard hard man great father(provider) no so in the dad department
Posted by: Cord

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/19/06 02:50 AM

Quote:

What stupid things have you done that made you smarter?

Got engaged to a girl believing that her 36G dimensions would compensate for a total lack of common interests and finding her ever so slightly annoying. 3 years and one messy split up later.
lesson learned: do not confuse lust for love

lent a friend £200, 6 months later, had not seen any of it back. Came to a head one drunken evening. Beat the $hit out of him. lost friend. lost money.
Lessons learned: never borrow and never lend. Violence is not always a satisfying resolution to a dispute.

Went to University, partied too hard, did no work, played up to a 'rock n' roll' image that people had of me (and liked me for). Got thrown out, caused terrible pain and worry to my parents.
Lessons learned: All your actions, no matter how self absorbed, have consequences to others. Being popular is not as important as being a caring and decent person. Family comes first, no matter what.

all i can think of right now.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/19/06 02:53 AM

To many to list, I was always testing things as a kid and had little fear. Overtime I soon realized fear was a good thing to have otherwise I'd always end up in the hospital.

As a stupid young adult and under the influence at the at the lake, dumby me thought I'd toss some gasoline on to the fire and the flame came right up the nozzle and up my arm singing all of the hair off ... that was stupid. Buddy and I drank all day on my deck many years ago and stupid us never thought about sun burn ... especially to only half of our bodies. When first shaving my head about 4 years ago, while mowing the lawn I thought I'd throw a hat on so I wouldn't burn my head. I did not even realize that the half moon in the back was still exposed and when I took the cap off I had a white head, red neck and a red half moon ... all lasting for about a week.

So much more but that would only bore you.
Posted by: grumbleweed

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/19/06 04:49 AM

I was eighteen and a proud owner of a silver Lancia Beta HPE 2000IE, a beautiful, fast car. With only one years driving experience I was not really up to the task of handling it properly which manifested in a embarrassing and potentially lethal crash while racing a Peugeot 205GTI, I was about to overtake it on a long sweeping bend when I lost the back end at 90MPH. I rolled several times, snapped a telegraph pole, went through a dense hedge and ended upside down in a factory carpark. Thankfully nobody but me was involved and I ended up with a small cut on my hand. My dad took me to the crash scene the day after in the hope I might find my glasses, which he did, somehow they survived falling off me and avoided getting crushed by paramedics and the tow truck and the driver. I'm not very religious but I often wonder if my guardian angel was looking out for me. Lesson learned, drive with more care and less bravado and arrogance…..oh and stupidity

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/19/06 10:42 PM

Awhile back I decided it would be cool to get in a little janitors bucket and have my friends push me full strength downhill over a parking lot of pavement for about 40 feet, and then ram into a path of river rocks, stopping the bucket, and fly out of the thing...Pain hurts.
slammed goblet down on the table as a toddler... split the web of my hand wide open...2 stitches.
Decided to test a knife blade on my thumb...didn't realize I cut myself until blood ran off.
Many many more...
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/20/06 01:04 AM

When I was young, I was too stupid to even attempt anything stupid

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/20/06 11:58 AM

ok i got another one. my cousin and i use to ride our tonka trucks down a hill by our houses that was 3 blocks long and at least a 45% angle.the ride was awsome but the end of the ride BAM
Posted by: harlan

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/20/06 12:09 PM

Something similar. My first ride on a bicycle. Visiting a friend who lived at the top of hill. Got on the bike, and was zooming like wild down the hill. Then I realized that at the bottom the road crossed through a busy highway...and I had no idea how to stop the bike. The concept of 'brakes' had not been discussed.

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/20/06 09:42 PM

When I was younger, my great grandpappy had parrot, he'd peck and bite anyone who stuck their finger in the cage, and what'd i do? I stuck my finger in the cage...several times...when my gradnparents said no...got bit..bled a lot...
Never annoyed the parrot again.
Posted by: clmibb

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/22/06 01:13 AM

My friend and I were throwing a ball over her house to each other (I was in the backyard and she was in the front). The ball got stuck on the roof so I volunteered to get it down. I found the ball and threw it down then jumped off the roof and sprained my ankle. Lesson: Don't jump from anywhere that is taller than you, it hurts.

Casey
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/22/06 01:38 AM

Yes, you need to be smart to do something stupid.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/22/06 02:34 PM

Quote:

Lesson: Don't jump from anywhere that is taller than you, it hurts.

Pffft!!

You just didn't do it right. I use to jump off of 8ft. shelving all of the time at my store.

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/23/06 05:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Lesson: Don't jump from anywhere that is taller than you, it hurts.

Pffft!!

You just didn't do it right. I use to jump off of 8ft. shelving all of the time at my store.

I was 6! I didn't know how to land properly. I know now though and jump off my roof all the time.
Posted by: UofM Shorin Ryu

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/23/06 06:02 PM

Quote:

When I was young, I was too stupid to even attempt anything stupid

Unfortunately I was a little sheltered as a child. And mistakes I could have made and learned from when I was 8 I'm now making at 20, with the price being that much higher....

But yeah, I learn BEST through mistakes....and my psychology book agrees!

Best mistake I ever made recently was paying for other people as an act of kindness...for people who weren't deserving.

Went on a bachelor party in Toronto for one of my breaker buddies, 3 day trip. Ended up covering food and bar tabs for some of my other friends who hadn't taken as much money as I did, not because they didn't have it, but because they knew they could mooch off everyone else (damn leeches...).

Now my budget is a little more stretched (I pay my own way through school) because I paid for 3 instead of just myself.

Lesson learned. I always carry just enough for me when I'm around them....and even stiffed them on a bill once, just for revenge...
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/24/06 09:26 AM

Oh, you didn't tell me you were 6. I jumped out of a tree and broke my arm when I was 6.

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/24/06 12:34 PM

hehehe I've fallen out of a tree too when I was about 7. It froze here one winter (doesn't happen that often) and I decided to climb a tree in the backyard with a pair of old Keds and a pair of socks on my hands (I didn't own a pair of mittens). I learned that winter that ice was slick. I slipped and fell out of the tree landed on the only root stucking out of the ground and knocked the wind out of me. My mom came running outside thinking I broke a rib. Lesson: don't climb trees if it's covered in ice or at least get shoes with better traction.

Casey

Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. - 10/24/06 06:58 PM

You guys are all newbs! The other night, my grandpa decided to put the collars on our curl bar extra tight, so when I went to change the weights one collar wouldn't come off, so I tried to screw it off with a big pipe wrench, putting massive amounts of force on the wrench, then I got my face in the way...next thign I know the wrench slips and bashes into the bridge of my nose, leaving a huge gash and blood spilling everywhere. It bled for hours, and hours...and hours. I could even see the bone and the skin flapped around when I cleaned the cut. I used a stery strip instead of stitches though.
Lesson learned: Be smart, dont be an a s s.