time travel!

Posted by: alphawolf

time travel! - 08/07/06 07:31 AM

Bored... anyway, if you had the ability to travel to any time period ONCE and back safely, where would you go and who would you want to meet? I would probably go back to before WWII started and get rid of Hitler. After doing that i would feel i had accomplished something great and would not feel a reason to want to see anything else... although meeting Jesus or Moses would be a plus
Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: time travel! - 08/07/06 08:52 AM

And what gives you the certainty that things wouldn't turn out worse without him?

I'd probably go and peer at some dinosaurs for a bit, just to see if what we understand at the moment is anything like what actually was. For all we know, they could have had biodegradable space rockets and laser guns. I don't think there was anyone noteworthy to meet around then, though.
Posted by: harlan

Re: time travel! - 08/07/06 08:58 AM

Scotland used to be heavily forested. I would like to go back to a time period to see it...the UK covered with Old Growth trees.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: time travel! - 08/07/06 09:03 AM

Greece....Archimedes.

[edit]- http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060805/ap_on_sc/archimedes_manuscript_8

What a coincidence, just found this.
Posted by: Tom02143

Re: time travel! - 08/07/06 10:06 AM

I'd like to go back and observe the ancient civilizations like the Mayans and see how they lived.

I would go back to the fall of 2004 and bet on the Red Sox!

Stephen Fry wrote a book about time travel and doing away with Hitler.....and the consequences were worse. I don't have all the details, but it is an interesting read.
Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: time travel! - 08/07/06 11:08 AM

Quote:

Bored... anyway, if you had the ability to travel to any time period ONCE and back safely, where would you go and who would you want to meet? I would probably go back to before WWII started and get rid of Hitler. After doing that i would feel i had accomplished something great and would not feel a reason to want to see anything else... although meeting Jesus or Moses would be a plus

Hitler was funded by some extremely powerfull people. I am sure if hitler was dead, there would be another person to take his place. If you were to meet moses, how would you prepare for the flood? Would you just want to "meet" jesus? Or would you want to save him from the jews that killed him?

As for me I would like to be able to simply review the biblical times and figure out if things really happened just as the bible portrayed them. After all the bible is written by people, not god. So I doubt it.

Honestly I would go back in to the year 2000, buy fightingarts.com and turn it in to a site dedicated to barney and friends.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: time travel! - 08/07/06 11:22 AM

Quote:

Hitler was funded by some extremely powerfull people. I am sure if hitler was dead, there would be another person to take his place.

Hitler was a one of a kind in terms of public figure, speaking, and influence. I doubt anyone could pull off what he did.
Quote:

If you were to meet moses, how would you prepare for the flood?

Do you mean Noah? I don't think Moses flooded anything.
Quote:

Would you just want to "meet" jesus? Or would you want to save him from the jews that killed him?

As the bible goes he was executed by Romans.

Lets be very careful what goes on in this thread in dealing with religious and political discussions.
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: time travel! - 08/07/06 12:22 PM

I'm really the only one who would go back with modern weapons and take over the world? You guys are saints.

Re: time travel! - 08/07/06 12:26 PM

Building an empire is easy. Maintaining one is harder. It is like building a house...build it once but then you have to deal with repairs, the electric bill, the lawn...
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: time travel! - 08/07/06 12:33 PM

Hadn't thought about that. Oh well, when I get sick of it, I can still travel back to our time, with all the gold from the royal treasure.
Posted by: Al_Fernz

Re: time travel! - 08/07/06 12:48 PM

Quote:

What are you on? Why not go back and kill the founders of the original Nazi party so Hitler couldn't join in the first place? Or even his mother so he couldnt be conceived. What about Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao etc, etc. Heck what about Mohammed or even Jesus and there would be less bloodshed over religion.

Face facts. History has a bloody past and killing one influential person wouldn't necessarily mean that our lives today would be in anyway better.

Personally I don't think anything in history should be changed. Using and learning from history can help everyone change the future for the better. This applies in both a personal and global sense. Wow, I sound like Captain Planet.

Re: time travel! - 08/07/06 12:59 PM

Guys...guys. Keep it civil, keep it on topic, and keep religion out of it for sure....or the thread will get edited/shut.

Thank you.

Re: time travel! - 08/07/06 03:10 PM

LOL @ noah=moses

Me and my genius skills at remembering names.

Anyway...

If hitler was killed, I think there will still be nazi fanatics willing to take his place.

EDIT: Speacial One, just read your post, good job , that's what I meant when I said someone will take hitlers place. The nazi party would always be there.

If mao was assasinated china would not be a communist country, I wonder if that would be better for the average chinese person.

Im sure it would be better for the millions of people who died under maos control.
Posted by: GiriStudent

Re: time travel! - 08/07/06 06:49 PM

I would go back to the 1800's to train with someone like Matsumura, or itosu or sakugawa
Posted by: Tom02143

Re: time travel! - 08/08/06 09:58 AM

I would go back and hang with Bodhidharma and then make a buddy/road movie out of it........
Posted by: Dereck

Re: time travel! - 08/08/06 01:35 PM

I would go back in time and delete this thread.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: time travel! - 08/09/06 11:56 PM

Quote:

I would go back in time and delete this thread.

If you did / do / done that, this Thread would not have existed in the first place and there would be no need for you to go back at all to delete a Thread that never existed in the first place.

There is no point in meeting Jesus Christ because besides not being able to speak Aramaic to Him, He, before His death, didn't even know He founded anything, let alone discussing 21st Century Christianity.

It would be better to have the 'Da Vinci Code' translated into Aramaic give Him a copy and get His comments. It will outsell anything, even the Bible.

For my fantasy travel, I'll just go back far enough to fall in love all over again.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: time travel! - 08/10/06 01:26 AM

I'd visit the Old Republic and tell the Jedi Council not to sever The Exile's connection with the Force. I would tell them not to exile any more fallen jedi, but to take the opportunity to understand what makes them fall to the dark side. I doubt they'd listen, but it'd be worth a try.

Posted by: Dereck

Re: time travel! - 08/10/06 01:43 AM

You do realize that that was just a movie? I guess it is no more crazy then talking about time travel.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: time travel! - 08/13/06 06:18 PM

As for me I would like to be able to simply review the biblical times and figure out if things really happened just as the bible portrayed them. After all the bible is written by people, not god. So I doubt it.

Ok mr. know-it-all, if oyur going to sit there and take cheap shots at faith and biblical teaching, or religion in general, how about I take cheap shots at darwinian evolution and all it's errors and lack of evidence. How about evolution's nearly complete lack of fossil evidence in the form of transiiton species, and the fact that all but one or two of those "prehuman" fossils turned out to be fakes, and the others are questionable (I forget which ones off the top of my head but if need be I'll get some back up imfo on that). Would you like that. How about the fact that nothing would exist without creation by an omnipotent being such as God. Nothing comes from nothing, therefore the universe must have been created. The universe can not expand and contract endlessley forever either becuase, A. the universe would eventually burn up and use all hydrogen stores, and, once the universe contracted in on itself into a pre-big bang form, it would implode into a black hole and be unable to go bang again. shall I continue?
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: time travel! - 08/13/06 09:01 PM

Uhh.. I don't think he was taking taking a potshot at the bible..he was taking a potshot at people.
Posted by: ANDY44

Re: time travel! - 08/13/06 10:02 PM

Bored... anyway, if you had the ability to travel to any time period ONCE and back safely, where would you go and who would you want to meet? I would probably go back to before WWII started and get rid of Hitler.

:grin
Wouldnt happen he nearly got killed in the first world war by a British soldier called Sgt Tandy V.C who didnt shoot him because he was wounded.

Hitler survived the first world war getting the iron cross.
He actualy enjoyed the war.
He survived assisinations

So fate might have dicatated that regardless he was going to live.
So no point in going back and trying

Posted by: ANDY44

Re: time travel! - 08/13/06 10:08 PM

Lucy wasnt questionable?Lucy and pre lucy?as in our links?
Makes me wonder if they had MA,s?
Plenty of trees to practice on.?
Either way some scientists believe a God does exist,although not quite as written in some of the scriptures, so looks like they both got it correct

Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: time travel! - 08/14/06 01:20 AM

Fair enough, I justed wanted to balance things.

Re: time travel! - 08/14/06 03:55 PM

Quote:

Ok mr. know-it-all, if oyur going to sit there and take cheap shots at faith and biblical teaching, or religion in general, how about I take cheap shots at darwinian evolution and all it's errors and lack of evidence. How about evolution's nearly complete lack of fossil evidence in the form of transiiton species, and the fact that all but one or two of those "prehuman" fossils turned out to be fakes, and the others are questionable (I forget which ones off the top of my head but if need be I'll get some back up imfo on that). Would you like that. How about the fact that nothing would exist without creation by an omnipotent being such as God. Nothing comes from nothing, therefore the universe must have been created. The universe can not expand and contract endlessley forever either becuase, A. the universe would eventually burn up and use all hydrogen stores, and, once the universe contracted in on itself into a pre-big bang form, it would implode into a black hole and be unable to go bang again. shall I continue?

I could write a book about how wrong you are, but I prefer not to brake forum rules, and I prefer not to discuss religion. I replied to the message you sent me. I love it how you say I am not ready to be with the "big dogs" Maybe your signature should say "resident big dog"

I went a little bit more in depth in the message I sent to you. I just can't resist you said

"How about the fact that nothing would exist without creation by an omnipotent being such as God."

What is the omnipotent being that created god? What is the being that created gods creator? Omnipotent or not, you can not create yourself.

It is impossible (and in fact meaningless) to suggest that God can contradict logical truths.

Ok "big dog" the ball is in your court. You can continue trying to prove gods existence, or you can stay on topic. I think if I could go back in time, I would of never have read your post, For I waisted valuable seconds by reading and replying to your garbage.

I probably never would of ate that week old egg sandwhich either...

Re: time travel! - 08/14/06 03:59 PM

Cool down for all you rascals. I did mention (see prior post), to keep religion out of it. Seems like it is becoming central to discussion.

Anyone have a problem with it...they can PM me.