Playstation 3

Posted by: Cord

Playstation 3 - 05/09/06 05:26 PM

Finally some concrete details!

Release Date Novemeber 11th in Japan, Novemeber 17th rest of world.
Available with either 20gb or 60gb hard drive.
Definately runs Blue-ray disks.

UK prices £349 for 20gb drive version, £409 for £60gb version.

Roll on November!
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Playstation 3 - 05/09/06 05:38 PM

Alright more of a reason to be lazy .I love the PlayStation, i was a die hard fan ever since it came out. We used to have tournaments for hours on end with tekken and soul caliber! Cant wait to see the new ones !

Re: Playstation 3 - 05/09/06 05:44 PM

Tekken 6 is confirmed as an early system release!!
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Playstation 3 - 05/09/06 08:53 PM

oh goody.. more *gadgets* for my son!

Now if only they would make the psp with a 3G type sim card mobile in it & fully windows & exchange server compatible, we would have the perfect thing for the busy swordswoman / IT engineer like me!
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Playstation 3 - 05/10/06 12:34 AM

Just saw the new Metal gear 4 trailer...and I got teary eyed again, I grew up on this series.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Playstation 3 - 05/10/06 07:20 AM

Here are some piccies and more specifications. Didn't know it was coming with Blu-ray though?
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Playstation 3 - 05/10/06 12:37 PM

Isn't blu-ray a good thing? I mean, those disks store a serious amount of stuff on them, plus they're unlikely to be piratable from home for some time... although, I'd be suprised if they really catch on in the PC market.

Re: Playstation 3 - 05/10/06 06:05 PM

Blu-ray is a very good thing. Its the next generation of DVD, each disk has 10x the storage capacity of current DVD's, and the reproduction quality is geared towards getting the most from the new Hi-Def TV's.

waiting to incorporate blu-ray as standard in the PS3 is why the release date was postponed. Sony took a gamble on letting xbox 360 launch unopposed with inferior hardware (originaly they were to go head to head). I think it will pay off, as Microsoft are already talking about producing a blu-ray upgrade for the 360, so thats an additional expense, and either a messy preipheral, or a time consuming rebuild for those who want it. not ideal.

Re: Playstation 3 - 05/10/06 09:26 PM

Hmm... I still believe the Xbox360 and PS3 will just about the same graphics, since updates are going to be released and they'll just keep 1Upping each other. I don't think Blu Ray is necessary at this point, and I believe the 360 will play both HD-DVD and Blue Ray, so publishers aren't forced into spending more money than they need to.

Re: Playstation 3 - 05/11/06 03:00 AM

360 will not play blu ray as standard. Blu-ray will play normal DVD, but due to the memory storage difference, it does not work the other way round.
Like i said the 360 is still a fine machine, but history shows that developers support sony hardware better than Xbox. The latest Mortal Kombat game is not getting an xbox release in europe, state of emergency 2 was dropped mid development for xbox, they lost exclusivity on both splinter cell and soul calibre franchises. the Oddworld series that was successfull on on PS1, made the programming house go bust when it tied itself to xbox, despite two cracking games in the series.
i dont have an agenda here, I own and play both xbox and PS2, they are great, but the Playstation brand is better established and has better choice of games.
xbox360 will end up principly catering for the online game community- it is a game spec PC for 1/3rd of the price. I dont like online games- strategy, squad based shooters, all that sort of stuff is just my idea of hell.
i will take a PS3, a copy of tekken 6, 4 real life friends in a room, and a case of beer, over trading insults with a 14 year old stranger over a headset anyday

Re: Playstation 3 - 05/11/06 05:31 AM

Quote:

i will take a PS3, a copy of tekken 6, 4 real life friends in a room, and a case of beer, over trading insults with a 14 year old stranger over a headset anyday

Amen to that brother! Although I think I'll wait till atleast next year to buy so the price comes down a bit. I'd like to the higer spec'd one, but I won't be paying 400+ quid for one.

Does anyone know what other media format it'll support? CD-R, DVD-R, SVCD, DivX...etc. Just enquiring for a "friend" who downloads a few things.

Re: Playstation 3 - 05/11/06 06:18 AM

It supports pretty much everything, including Java and Bluetooth, and is back-compatible all the way to your favourite PS1 games. Another cool thing is apparently it has some bit of software in it that cleans up and enhances PS1/2 games when played on it. Dont ask me how, its just magic I think

Gav, I already have the money put aside for the launch, so providing i get on the pre-order list fast enough, i dare say i could open my house to you for a tekken 6 christening, then after i kick your a$$ you can use me as a punch bag during some RBSD work

Re: Playstation 3 - 05/11/06 06:32 AM

Wicked mate! Definately sounds like a plan to me! OK, might have to start saving the pennies! My DVD player is on its last legs, so I might have to treat myself!

Think we should do the RBSD stuff before the tekken session though, that way I can bust up your arms a bit beforehand!

Re: Playstation 3 - 05/11/06 06:38 AM

Triff! why not do a proper job, then I will have to drink the beer through a straw, and push the controller buttons with my nose!

Be warned though, I am a bleeder so you may get the better of me, but you will face financial ruin at the dry-cleaners. MWAHAHAHA!!!

Re: Playstation 3 - 05/11/06 07:08 AM

Don't worry about the bleeding thing, I'm used to training with James... his nose can bleed just at the very whisper of hitting it! The amount of times his made himself bleed is just not funny! Well, it is, but you get what I mean!
Posted by: Tezza

Re: Playstation 3 - 05/11/06 07:17 AM

Great find Cord. Does anyone have any more information on games to be relaesd.
Cheers
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Playstation 3 - 08/23/06 05:20 PM

Here is a trailer for the PS3 called Motorstorm ... cool.

http://break.com/index/ps3_motorstorm.html

Re: Playstation 3 - 08/23/06 09:48 PM

Sony isn't going to have rumble in their controllers anymore. They've replaced it with the tilt feature, which I think is a total ripoff from Nintendo. Plus Sony isn't letting others use Blu-Ray. That, coupled with a $600 launch price... might hurt them. Then again... everyone has made up their mind already.
Posted by: alphawolf

Re: Playstation 3 - 08/24/06 12:01 AM

on the topic of PS3, check out the game assassin's creed. It comes out sometime early 2007, looks amazing.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Playstation 3 - 08/24/06 12:46 AM

I'm planning on getting one for christmas. I'm not big on games, but I have a few favorites. the systems we have are: PS2, Gamecube, Gameboy DS and PSP. I was fooling around with their PSP the other day and for the heck of it, set it up to connect to my home wireless lan internet...it freaking worked! I was checking my e-mail and reading FA posts on this little handheld game!...I was impressed. The game graphics are amazing - they play the Japanese version of some dragon hunter game. The only drawback I could find is PSP doesn't hook up to a TV or monitor. could maybe rig something, but it's not a built-in feature that would have been a nice touch.

anyway, my question about PS3 in time for x-mas...when can/should I order it in advance? I had a hellofa time getting DS in time for christmas before...ended up buying (probably a stolen one) on e-bay and having to pay +$50 shipping.

Re: Playstation 3 - 08/24/06 03:19 AM

Sooner the better Ed, but check the small print before commiting.
Here in the UK some retailers are taking unlimited preorders with no consideration of the initial supply (there is simply a small print that says 'We can not guarantee availability on day of release'). What they dont tell you, is that after the initial launch, the next production run is due to be shipped in the early new year, so if you dont get your unit on november, you are sh1t out of luck till late January at the earliest (unless of course the price tag puts so many off that scarecity is not an issue).
I am on the list at a store called 'Game'. they have been taking names for a while now, but no money until they get told how many machines thay will be allocated, then they will contact the people on the list in order to offer first refusal on a unit. When the number of takers matches the number of units they are done. Simple.

I am early on the list, but there is no guarantee I will get the chance, but I would sooner know for sure, than dish out a deposit and sit there in blind hope for a machine that will probably not arrive till christmas is just a fond memory.
Posted by: kurdt

Re: Playstation 3 - 08/24/06 04:56 AM

people seem to mention tekken round here.. pretty good at using bryan fury wanna learn marduk and raven..
FA tekken tournament? anyways looking forward to ps3!

but i enjoyed halo 2 so much! my friend would hook up about 4 xboxes and wed all play.. about 16 players in just one house.. those where definitely good fragfests!

Re: Playstation 3 - 08/24/06 08:55 AM

Quote:

Sooner the better Ed, but check the small print before commiting.
Here in the UK some retailers are taking unlimited preorders with no consideration of the initial supply (there is simply a small print that says 'We can not guarantee availability on day of release'). What they dont tell you, is that after the initial launch, the next production run is due to be shipped in the early new year, so if you dont get your unit on november, you are sh1t out of luck till late January at the earliest (unless of course the price tag puts so many off that scarecity is not an issue).
I am on the list at a store called 'Game'. they have been taking names for a while now, but no money until they get told how many machines thay will be allocated, then they will contact the people on the list in order to offer first refusal on a unit. When the number of takers matches the number of units they are done. Simple.

I am early on the list, but there is no guarantee I will get the chance, but I would sooner know for sure, than dish out a deposit and sit there in blind hope for a machine that will probably not arrive till christmas is just a fond memory.

Ed, you might also want to know that its never best to buy the first shipment of consoles, since those are always the defected ones. Sony always has those kind of manufacturing problems. I still know many people who turn their PS2 upside down, shake it, and do all kinds of things to get their games playing. I got my xbox on opening day and it lasted pretty long, I was one of the lucky ones. Then during that big black out two years ago my xbox burned.

It sounds like I'm being biased against Sony...no I'm not supporting fanboyism. I'm just highly skeptical.

Re: Playstation 3 - 08/24/06 08:42 PM

I got both my PS1 and PS2 on the first production runs and never had any problems- maybe it will be third time unlucky, but for tekken 6 on launch day, I will take the chance

Re: Playstation 3 - 08/25/06 08:10 AM

Now I know why. Europe gets their consoles after Japan and the U.S. So they get the better quality ones, while we get the ones that are stapled together at the last second.

Argh...
Posted by: ChooseURbattles

Re: Playstation 3 - 08/25/06 01:55 PM

I'm excited about the PS3 though Ill probably wait at least a year to buy it (aforementioned quality issue).
Glad to see so much love for tekken here too. Anyone that doesnt already visit should check out THE tekken website tekken zaibatsu. Heres a link to their forums.
Posted by: Crash

Re: Playstation 3 - 08/25/06 06:16 PM

Can't wait! Metal Gear Solid 4! Tekken 6! ye haw!
Posted by: ChooseURbattles

Re: Playstation 3 - 08/27/06 09:11 PM

I REALLY hope that Tekken 6 doesnt suck. As far as I'm concerned Namco has ONE MORE CHANCE with this series. T3 was revolutionary, and TAG was AWESOME! Everything after Tag has been at best mediocre, imo.

Re: Playstation 3 - 08/28/06 11:09 AM

i didnt like Tekken 4 so much TBH, but I thought Tekken 5 was a real return to form. I think a good progression would be to expand some of the grappling/ground work possible. DOA 3 did this well with Bayman and Roland, and an old PS1 game called Kensei: Sacred Fist had some awesome ground move combo's. hope Namco follow suit.
Posted by: SubZero

Re: Playstation 3 - 08/29/06 02:16 AM

Metal Gear Solid is one of the reasons I'm just gonna wait for the PS3. All the Metal Gear games on the Ps1 and 2 have been great IMO.

But yeah I bought the first version of the PS2 and it won't play disks with the blue surfaces.

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/06/06 11:41 AM

Sony have postponed the release date of the PS3 in europe to March 2007 due to 'production problems'

I am gutted, but it has freed up £430 of my hard earned for Christmas

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/06/06 12:06 PM

Ouch! I've been playing on my new XBox 360 that I got free with my new mobile phone upgrade and that ROCKS! Just to make you feel better!

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/06/06 12:19 PM

You got a FREE 360!?! you lucky swine

Just dont tell me you have Dead Rising, then I would poo with jealousy.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/06/06 06:43 PM

Is that what it takes to get you to let people in the door, Gav, consumer electronics?
Posted by: crablord

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/07/06 06:28 AM

thats pretty damn good, an xbox 360 is like 600 dollars!!! thats like 7 times the cost of a phone lol

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/08/06 03:35 PM

i gave in. I just couldnt wait till march, so I have bought a 360 core system today. A heady combination of them dropping the price, releasing dead rising, and the PS3 holdback made me feel fate was forcing my hand in this one
I take delivery on monday, and it will give me a 'next gen' gaming fix till Sony can get their act together.

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/08/06 03:42 PM

I've seen this unit Cord and some of the games and it looks awesome. My brother-in-law has a friend in Edmonton that works for a company that tests games for all types of systems and that includes the 360 and the PS3 and he gave the thumbs up more on the 360. I've thought about it but then I would be putting too much time into this machine and would get nothing done. Heck, I have the X-Box still sitting downstairs with about 5 games that are new that have never been opened waiting to be played. These are those Tom Clancy games and a friend and I play it together and we want to go in order so haven't touch some of the other ones. Also haven't finished "The Warriors" (from the 70's movie) yet so it will be a while before I flip the buck for a new unit.

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/08/06 03:54 PM

i loved 'The Warriors' game. That is one of my alltime fave movies. If i had gone ahead and started having tattoo work when I was 17/18 there would be a fair chance that i would have the winged skull 'warriors' symbol on my skin somewhere by now

I am very lucky in that Den is an avid gamer, so I probably get more time on my consoles than those who's partners do not share the interest. The downside is getting my a$$ kicked on DOA 3 and the Tekken series by the wife

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/08/06 04:17 PM

The game is pretty close to the movie including the voices of the players. Breaking into cars and stealing stereos, beating up people and gang members, smashing cars, robbing stores, snorting drugs when energy is low, fighting cops, stabbing people, beating up drug dealers and spray paint sellers, vandelizing ... all good clean fun.

I've been looking for a copy of the movie to buy so have my eye out for it. It was on TV a couple of weeks ago on the Scream Channel but I missed it.

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/08/06 06:21 PM

http://break.com/index/ps3_vs_nintendos_wii.html

This is a parody to the Microsoft and Mac commercials.
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/08/06 07:19 PM

Cord, you slave to consumers wants, make sure you get dead or alive 4, its the most advanced fighter in existance. Also VF5 around the corner on X360, sure your excited about that.

Its a shame about the PS3 but since us less affluent people have to wait till the price comes down a little anyway I took the news OK .

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/09/06 11:18 AM

Yeah, I know its going to be horribly expensive, but I have been saving a little here and there since january and had the cash ready for PS3 heaven. When they set it back, I just thought 'F U Sony!' and blew half the saved cash on the 360 core system. I am not going another winter without next-gen hardware, and Microsoft deserve a chance seeing as how they got their sh1t together.
5 million 360's have been sold now, and with the PS3 delay, that is giving Mr Gates a 2 christmas seasons head start on the customer market, not to mention Nintendo and their thing that frankly doesnt appeal to me, but plenty will buy it. Cant work out if its Sony making a genuine mistake, or if they are too arrogant to care. Either way, come monday I am locking down a mall full of the undead on xbox.
'ZOMBIES?!! COME OUT TO PLA-AY'
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/09/06 09:37 PM

I think its definately their arrogance with the later and later releases. They know that they made the two most popular consoles ever and in the long run they will always outsell the rest. You have to remember that Xbox havent really sold much at all in Japan.

To tell the truth I am not an Xbox 360 fan, I would buy the Wii or the PS3.

Wii is dreadfully cheap and I am very open to the idea of the controls being the new way of improving games rather than better and better graphics and processors. Will have to see how their efforts turn out, I like their tennis, shooting and samurai use of the new controller. I see that PS3 swooped in to steal the idea pretty quick too, the controller can now detect all movement too.

PS3 has all the latest games in my favourite serieses (like lots of people) so I am sure a few cool adverts on TV will get me spending the price of an old car pretty soon.

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/10/06 12:42 AM

Yeah i agree. It was never going to be an 'either or' situation for me, i just figured i would get the PS3 at first release prices and get the 360 when it dropped in price having been out for a while.
As it turns out I am still working to plan, just that sony are such idiots that I am doing it in the wrong order

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/10/06 01:08 AM

I was going to buy a 360 but i spent the money upgrading my rig instead , i want a 360 now lol, buy doa after seeing the movie. Was total perverted rubbish but it was cool at the same time lol. and that english chick is just

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/11/06 05:41 PM

Well, the 360 got delivered, and I have had an afternoon killing zombies. SWEET!
I will not be on here much over the next week, just bought DOA4 on the way to work this evening and between the 2 games, my calender will be very busy till i have got 'new console fever' out of my system

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/11/06 06:01 PM

Make sure you continue your ... I don't think we have the need for a video game Mod.

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/12/06 05:51 AM

I've got Dead Rising but the text is so frigging small that I can't read it... and thats on a 28" wide screen. Gonna have to save up my pennies for a High Def TV when I move into my new flat. At the weekend I finished Call of Duty 2 which was awesome and I can't wait for 3 to come out. At the moment I'm totally and utterly hooked on Elder Scrolls 4, not usually my thing but this is probably one of the best games I've ever played (p'ing my girlfriend off greatly though!). I've got Ghost Reccn to play but haven't put ES4 down so it'll have to wait. Saints Row wasn't bad but just felt too much like GTA and just had the whole "Been there and done that" feel to it.... mind you the Reggae station kicks GTA K-Jah's a$$ and I spent more time driving round listening the music than I did playing the game. Probably gonna try out DOA next week and my little is buying Lego Starwars 4 with his saved up pennies so I'm probably gonna loose the Xbox after that. However my overall verdict on the Xbox 360... F*CKING ROCKS!!!!

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/29/06 02:43 AM

This is for Cord and all of us that have opted for X-Boxes.

http://www.break.com/index/life_is_short.html

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/29/06 03:31 AM

Awesome ad

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/29/06 05:23 AM

Very cool!
Posted by: curlytopper

Re: Playstation 3 - 09/30/06 04:51 AM

The first things I usually do after karate classes is take a quick shower, grab a bite to eat and then paly with my PS2. Now that the PS3 has been released I am wondering if I have to give up my PS2 or probably sell it to one of my friends. another thing that bothers me is that the price of the PS3 is quite steep for my budget as well as the games themselves. I am considering just buying a PSP but it will definitely be a far cry from the new Playstation. Anyway, I'll just have to make do with my trusty old PS2 until I can finally make up my mind. See ya!

-----------------------------------------------
signature removed as it was merely a trio of advert links. Cord.