Historic re-enactment

Posted by: harlan

Historic re-enactment - 04/28/06 12:09 PM

Anybody involved in any society? If yes, post a little about it and a website. The only two that I'm aware of are the 'Historic Highlanders' and the Civil War groups.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Historic re-enactment - 04/28/06 12:38 PM

Quote:

The only two that I'm aware of are the 'Historic Highlanders' and ...

I thought there could only be one........

Re: Historic re-enactment - 04/28/06 12:47 PM

http://historichighlanders.com/

Quote:

Posted by: Dereck

Re: Historic re-enactment - 04/28/06 01:18 PM

Quote:

The movies were okay but the series was awesome. And to have the Queen song start it and finish the show ...
Posted by: jc4199

Re: Historic re-enactment - 05/01/06 12:59 AM

The Society for Creative Anachronism
The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. Our "Known World" consists of 19 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in countries around the world. Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which may feature tournaments, arts exhibits, classes, workshops, dancing, feasts, and more. Our "royalty" hold courts at which they recognize and honor members for their contributions to the group

More info found at www.sca.org
or www.scademo.com <<<cool site<<
I am not as active as I once was but it is a blast from the combat to the feasting and dancing.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Historic re-enactment - 05/01/06 07:22 AM

we go to 'King Richards Fare' every year...sort of an end of summer tradition we do. It's become over commercialized now, but when they first started it around the mid 90's it was quite good. The combat renactments are still good, if not better... particularly the jousting and subsequent sword play - they demonstrate the progression of the contest...from mount to on foot with sword, then to grappling range with a variety of weapons. I've talked with one of the renactors...they take it very seriously and study the minutia of details in authenticity that 99.9% of the audience won't appreciate. They train as hard if not harder than most of us....there are even some who train it full time in addition to being history majors, writers, and traveling performers. I have alot of respect for these guys/gals doing this, the athleticism and skill needed is unquestionable. The Morris dancers are phenominal. Too bad they kind of 'disney-fied' it recently, now it's so crowded, its harder to enjoy it.
http://www.kingrichardsfaire.net/

Re: Historic re-enactment - 05/01/06 08:40 AM

Thanks jc1499, for the post about the SCA. A lot of people 'look down their noses' at the SCA as being more 'creative' than 'realistic'. I suspect the more 'historic' activities provide the same enjoyment...but for folks that can't admit that they still like to play 'dress up'.

King Richards: I've heard the same about that fair as well. I attend several Highland Games in New England, and there is a lot of 'cross pollination' in vendors, volunteers, and fair-goers. 'Those in the know' know about the little, 'nice' fairs.
Posted by: jc4199

Re: Historic re-enactment - 05/02/06 12:58 AM

Me I was more of the Creative type but you have both types in the group and they get along. I just figured if my stuff looked good from about 3 feet then I was ok. Then there are those that pull out the magnifying glass and inspect stuff. Yes the rattan is a not Real sword but it still feels like you have been hit with a ball bat. I had a blast doing it. Where the civil war group that I visited I thought they were a bit extreme.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Historic re-enactment - 05/03/06 03:52 PM

yes. I do Jousting & skill at arms on horseback which are both a sort of re-enactment.

Its a lot of fun!

There are many people around the world who are part of SCA groups and other WMA groups who do this sort of thing obn a regular basis.

At our international tournament in Feb we had several legions of Romans plus many other re-enactment groups including a bunch of wild men in animal skins.

We knights pay a reaonable amount of care to getting costume correct [or as correct as we can given cost, time and materials].

The armour that we use is real armour, designed on the same style and methods as the originals. Our costume is as close as we can get to how it looked although some of us cheat and use sewing machines, there are others who will only handsew everything. My maille is made of spring steel however the construction methods used are the same as if it had been made in the 14thC.

My horses are more "correct" than most of the ones seen overseas, they are real destriers of Spanish breeding, nimble, quick and very noble, true mounts of knights and kings, not the hefty carthorse X's so often seen.

My sword is a battle ready broadsword which I can cut things with, my dagger is a functional item also.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Historic re-enactment - 05/03/06 07:05 PM

I went to the Texas Renaissance Fair every year until i joined the Navy. For now i'm reduced to going to Medieval Times every couple of months but i'll be out of the Navy in time to catch the Renfest this year. It was my understanding that there are a couple of groups who travel the country putting on these shows. A good friend of mine back home had his wedding their a couple years back, always a good time.

http://www.texrenfest.com/

These guys ave pretty decent food too. http://www.medievaltimes.com/
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Historic re-enactment - 05/03/06 08:43 PM

we'll have you jousting yet sir!

Forgot to add link for TV coverage of our tourney.
click the jousting knights link under the picture to see the video