Your music

Posted by: Stormdragon

Your music - 04/15/06 06:09 PM

Hey everyone, what kind of music do y'all listen to?
I like, Modern rock, alternative, some metal, some christen rock/metal, and VERY little rap.
Some of my favorite bands are Linkin Park, POD, Pillar, Creed, Breaking Benjamin, NTL(russian rap), Metallica, Crossfade, Evenescence, and, uh, that's all I can think of right now(Not in any particular order) but there's others. What about you guys?
Posted by: ScottO

Re: Your music - 04/15/06 06:23 PM

I listen to everything. As long as it doesn't involve screaming like you're throwing up throughout the whole song.

Jazz
Rock
Alternative
Funk
Nu-Metal
Some Pop
Some Hip-Hop

Anything catchy and you can tap a beat along with.
Any music that's interesting is good. I have nothing against any genre.

Some select bands:

System Of A Down
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Franz Ferdinand
The Offspring
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Guns 'N Roses
Audioslave
Beck
Sublime
Dream Theater
Incubus

I like listening to classic rock as some times. Also oldies like Gene Kruppa, Buddy Rich inspire my drumming.
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Your music - 04/15/06 06:49 PM

..and you still managed to leave out Pink Floyd, The Mothers of Invention, Rush, Supertramp, ELO and countless others, but otherwise I like anything that is good and well written, musically.

A couple of choice drummers those two.

btw, ScottO, how did you get on with your Black Dog?

After only a couple of replies. That's gotta be a record.

Re: Your music - 04/15/06 10:43 PM

How dare you hijack my thread! If I had a glove I'd challenge you to a duel (And if we were in person)!
Posted by: Dudley32

Re: Your music - 04/15/06 11:01 PM

Quote:

..and you still managed to leave out Pink Floyd, The Mothers of Invention, Rush, Supertramp, ELO and countless others, but otherwise I like anything that is good and well written, musically.

A couple of choice drummers those two.

btw, ScottO, how did you get on with your Black Dog?

After only a couple of replies. That's gotta be a record.

RUSH Woot Woot! Those guys are by far the best.

Matt

Re: Your music - 04/15/06 11:15 PM

Yes! I left out Rush! Also a fantastic drummer. His drumset is amazing and wow...what a variety of things to do behind that baby.

Black Dog is going smoothly on guitar. I've managed to get the first few notes good without it being all sketchy!
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Your music - 04/15/06 11:43 PM

radiohead
neutral milk hotel
sufjan stevens
the shins
the pixies

a really cool site you guys should go to is www.last.fm

you put in a band you like and it shows a cross referenced list of other bands you might like. It started as audioscrobbler.com and is a pretty cool project.

Re: Your music - 04/16/06 12:01 AM

neutral milk hotel
sufjan stevens
the shins
the pixies

Who the h*ll are thses bands????? never heard of any of them.
By the way, sounds like a nice site, I'll have to check it out.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Your music - 04/16/06 01:10 AM

Quote:

neutral milk hotel
sufjan stevens
the shins
the pixies

Who the h*ll are thses bands????? never heard of any of them.
By the way, sounds like a nice site, I'll have to check it out.

never heard of the pixies??!? youre not fit to breathe my air!!

just kidding but they were a late 80's early 90's band that defined what we know as alternative rock today. They were hugely popular in the UK for the kids in the early 90's indie scene. Plus their bassist is from my hometown Dayton OH and I knocked her over at a Presidents of the USA show. woot for me.

Kurt Kobain famously was quoted as saying when he wrote "Smells Like Teen Spirit" he was just trying to rip off a pixies song.

One of the coolest moments in movie history is during Fight Club when the buildings start to blow up all to the tune of "Where is my Mind" by the Pixies.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Your music - 04/16/06 01:53 AM

Pixies do a decent cover of Jesus&Mary chain's "Head On".
Posted by: Taison

Re: Your music - 04/16/06 06:15 AM

I listen to stuff people think it's weird. (Imagine, a South East Asian listening to German Industrial.

Linkin park, Evanescance, Iron Maidens, Hammerfall, Rammstein, 12 stones, Limp Bizkit, Metallica.

Japanese artists: Dragon Ash, King Gidora, Gackt, TM Revolution, Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru and Siam Shade [if you watched the Manga "Rurouni Kenshin" or Samurai X, the first song called Heart Of Sword, it's Siam Shade.]

Chinese: Jay Chou [The dude that played in the Chinese movie "Initial D" and sung the song for the credit in Hua Yuan-Jia[fearless].

Thai: Thaitanium. An American based group of rappers who are "Thai-guns"[Second/Third generation of Thais born in LA].

Kinda weird music taste I possess, aye? But usually, I listen to Rammstein, 24/7.

-Taison out
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Your music - 04/16/06 09:15 AM

Switchfoot
Alice in Chains
Smashing Pumpkins
Metallica
Peter Gabriel
Evanescance
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Pink Floyd
Rush
AC/DC
Van Halen (DLR era)
Iron Maiden
Neil Young
White Zombie
Foo Fighters

I could go on...

As I have gotten older, I don't listen to NEARLY the music that I used to. It isn't that I don't like it anymore, it's just that I don't tolerate GARBAGE in the way that I used to. Talent means a lot more than FLASH to me now in other words.

Now it's all over the place; jazz, rock, alternative who cares, as long as it's good.

Another thing I despise is unoriginality and music that sounds all the same. That definitely means little if any rap or R&B. Nothing hardly ever comes out of that genre that's sounds different than any other artists of that type.

-John
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Your music - 04/16/06 09:49 AM

Quote:

Another thing I despise is unoriginality and music that sounds all the same. That definitely means little if any rap or R&B. Nothing hardly ever comes out of that genre that's sounds different than any other artists of that type.

If you've lost faith in hip hop, I'm going to recommed Blackalicious and The Roots, for a no-nonsense, great rap exerience... and of course there's always Public Enemy for some cold cold lampin'

I listen to a slightly stupid amount of music... I actually sleep listening to music Music I've been listening to recently:

Shostakovich
The Smiths
Chevelle
Blackalicious
Pink Floyd
Bob Marley
Bach
Nirvana
Wagner
At the Drive In
Sublime
The Descendents

Okay, some more I can't think of at this moment... but meh

EDIT: yes, the Pixies do rock... and Frank Black's work recently has been pretty good too!
Posted by: ADHDoka

Re: Your music - 04/16/06 03:55 PM

oh so much variety

Gorillaz
NOFX
Anti-Flag
Gangstarr
Bajo Fondo Tango Club
They Might Be Giants
Alkalaine Trio
Fall Out Boy
Social Distortion
Rise Against
The Grateful Dead
Eric Clapton
DJ Tiesto
The Lawernce Arms
Less Than Jake

just to name a few
i listen to way too many types of music

Re: Your music - 04/16/06 05:16 PM

The grateful Dead!!!

How did I leave out the Grateful Dead???

JKogas,

Got to agree on the rap thing although I can tolerate Eminem. Maybe because he doesn't sound like the rest.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Your music - 04/17/06 12:42 AM

So many I can't even list them. Mostly rock with some emphasis to hard rock. Like some heavy metal (as defined in the 80's). Don't like grung and almost next to nothing for rap. Like a little country but has to be more up beat. Not into jazz but don't mind it in the background ... kind of like celtic music. I like anything that has good rythme, good flow, upbeat and has a good chorus ... not to mention good lyrics and a good singer. So ... that leaves it endless.

I listen to some stuff people would think I'm a nancy boy where as other music people may think I'm a die hard rocker. I used to be embarassed to say I like certain music but why limit myself.

Re: Your music - 04/17/06 05:30 AM

Oh, and check out the 'Ring in a Day' (Wagner's Ring Cycle in a day) on Radio 3! You can get to it here
Posted by: Cord

Re: Your music - 04/17/06 10:33 AM

no way I could list all my fave bands/artists, but they include:

Fear Factory
Danzig
Misfits
Pantera (Dimebag RIP)
Sisters of Mercy
joy Division
Skinny Puppy
Wumpscut
Rammstein
Funker Vogt
New Model Army
Suicidal Tendencies
Apoptygma Bezerk
Depeche Mode
napalm Death
Obituary
Pink Floyd
System of a Down
Blitzkid
Slayer
Rob/White Zombie
Send more Paramedics
The Cure
Siouxie and the Banshees
Tom Waits

and on and on......
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Your music - 04/17/06 11:52 AM

With apologies to those who have seen this before -

I have a pretty broad palate for music, MMA even. "Mixed Musical Arts".

I'll tick off a few names for a couple categories, but the full list would be too huge to write.

Rock/pop - Bands that can play their own instruments. Generally not dance stuff, punk or rap, although there are exceptions. More often, I like particular songs as opposed to bands as a whole.

Alternative/Grunge - More my taste in rock as a rule. I like the musically challenging bands like Soundgarden and System of a Down, Chevelle, Rage against the Machine.

Bluegrass, but not country pop - Charlie Daniels and Nickel Creek rule. Brooks and Dunn can kiss my ass, and they better not meet me in a dark alley singing "My Maria".

Raggae - Pretty much Bob Marley is all I know. Good stuff.

Jazz - Buddy Rich rules. So does John Coltrane, early Miles Davis (not the later crap), Charlie Parker, Dave Brubeck, etc. Smooth Jazz can equally kiss my ass. KennyG is the [censored] Anti-Christ.

Fusion Jazz - Some good stuff there. Bela Fleck is great. Chick Corea, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jean Luc Ponty, Brand X (Phil Collins, mega awesome drummer)....I know, dating myself bad here.

Metal - Metallica, of course. Also Sepultura and Pantera, although their overall repetoires not as good, but a few standout albums.

Classic rock - All the majors: Stones, Who, Zeppelin, ELP, Yes, Traffic, Cream, Hendrix, Genesis, VH (Diamond Dave, not Screamin' Sammy)......so many. REO speedwagon can kiss my ass.

R&B/Soul/Funk - Marvin Gaye rules. "Mercy mercy me" one of my all time favorites. Ray Charles and James Brown, of course. Earth Wind and Fire, Chic and Parliment Funkadelic, although P/F to lesser degree to me personally. Barry White for pure mojo, baby.

World Music - Not so much, but there are exceptions.

Latin - Getz/Gilberto. Awesome stuff.

Classical - Beethoven rules. Piano in general rocks, although Spanish guitar rocks as well. Opera blows for the most part. What the hell are they talking about?! Carmina Burana (sp?) one of the exceptions.

Show tunes - Don't make me slap the [censored] out of you.

All I can think of right now. BTW, John Bonham (Zeppelin) and Phil Collins (Genesis, Brand X) were the drummers who made me start playing.

Re: Your music - 04/17/06 03:16 PM

I've recently found out about a reggae band of Hasidic Jewish people. Or maybe just one. They're call "Matisyahu" and I listened to a few of their songs....Not bad....I'm not into that genre a whole lot but I'd listen to these guys. And people think me crazy for it.

I also forgot about Soundgarden and Rage Against The Machine. Bob Marley, Hendrix, The Who....

Re: Your music - 04/17/06 03:50 PM

Okay, long list but here is a list of artists that I have CD's of (many for some artists) ... I won't even bother going through the hundreds of cassette tapes I own.

3 Days Grace
3 Doors Down
38 Special
AC/DC
Aerosmith
Air Supply
Alice Cooper
Alterbridge (check this one out Stormdragon)
Amanda Marshal
April Wine
Autograph
Back Street Boys
Bad Company
Billy Squire
Black Sabath
Blue Murder
Blue Oyster Cult
Bon Jovi
Breaking Benjamins
Bryan Adams
Celion Dion
Cheap Trick
Chicago
Chilliwack
Cinderella
Colin Raye
Coney Hatch
Creed
David Lee Roth
Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Dio (King of Heavy Metal)
Disturbed
Dokken
Europe
Evanescence
Faith Hill
Faith No More
Foreigner
Forty Foot Echo
Genesis
Guns & Roses
Hall & Oates
Harem Scarem
Hay Wire
Helix
Honeymoon Suite
House of Lords
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Kim Mitchell
Kiss
Leatherwolf
Lee Aaron (Queen of Heavy Metal; hotty Canadian)
Limp Bizkit
Linkin Park
Lita Ford (hotty)
Lonestar
Loverboy
Metallica
Micheal Bolton (no really)
Micheal W. Smith
Motley Crew
Nazarath
Neil Diamond
Nickleback (Alberta boys)
Ozzy Osborne
Phil Collins
Poison
Puddle of Mud
P u s s y Cat Dolls
Queensryche
Quite Riot
Ratt
Red Ryder
Richard Marx
Rick Springfield
Rush
Saliva
Sammy Hagar
Saxon
Scorpions
Shania Twain
Skid Row
Slaughter
Slayer
Soundgarden
Spice Girls (yup)
Staind
Styx
Tanya Tucker
The Cars
The Corrs
The Cult
The Eagles
The Police
The Tubes
Theory of a Deadman
Tom Cochrane
Toto
Triumph
Steve Vai
Twisted Sister
Van Halen (both David but moreso Sammy)
Warrant
Wasp
White Lion
Whitesnake
Winger
XYZ
Y&T
Yes
Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Edit: And as of Saturday ... Crossfade & Carrie Underwood.
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Your music - 04/18/06 12:04 PM

Anyone like the new Red Hot Chili Peppers track, Dan i California?

Re: Your music - 04/18/06 01:18 PM

Quote:

Anyone like the new Red Hot Chili Peppers track, Dan i California?

I think I've been obsessed with that song! The chorus is catchy as hell and the video is pretty funny.

The guitar jam at the end just makes you want to jump around and shake your head. I'm actually tried to learn it on the guitar.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Your music - 04/18/06 05:17 PM

RHCP are legends, and I am glad to hear a bit of a return to their funk rock roots in the new stuff (they showcased some of it in a live performance for BBC Radio 1 last night- it can be listened to on the website all week). Californication onwards they turned a bit too mellow and surfer for me. Their mellow stuff works best as a contrast to their upbeat numbers- whole albums of it get a bit bland IMO.
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Your music - 04/18/06 06:02 PM

Quote:

RHCP are legends, and I am glad to hear a bit of a return to their funk rock roots in the new stuff (they showcased some of it in a live performance for BBC Radio 1 last night- it can be listened to on the website all week). Californication onwards they turned a bit too mellow and surfer for me. Their mellow stuff works best as a contrast to their upbeat numbers- whole albums of it get a bit bland IMO.

Nice one Cord, listening right now. Theyre doing random 'no ticket' unannounced shows all over London, dont know how long for. Well Im in Central London tomorrow and friday, hope I get lucky!

Re: Your music - 04/18/06 06:47 PM

Yeah, Californication is a bit too mellow. Even the single "Californication" I thought went on a bit too long...it's abuot 6 minutes I think (maybe 5).

But even so, they still have a way to work catchiness and funk into whatever they do. Their lyrics I feel never slack and they make you think.

Counting down the days 'til Stadium Arcadium.
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: Your music - 04/19/06 02:18 AM

Quote:

Franz Ferdinand

Just saw them live this Saturday, they were pretty good, I was there for Death Cab for Cutie though.
I wish I was a woman so I could offer Ben Gibbard my womb.

I like a lot of your other choices, especially Judas Priest and the Offspring.

I missed both shows though. I'm a douche.

Quote:

As I have gotten older, I don't listen to NEARLY the music that I used to. It isn't that I don't like it anymore, it's just that I don't tolerate GARBAGE in the way that I used to. Talent means a lot more than FLASH to me now in other words.

Same here. I was going through some old CDs the other day and I couldn't believe the trash I used to listen to; Cannibal Corpse. It has to be the worst band in the history of the universe.

Quote:

The grateful Dead!!!

You wouldn't believe the heat I take from my friends for liking the Grateful Dead!

I'm a huge Indie fan these days. My favorites, but not limited to;

The Arcade Fire
The Stills
Snow Patrol
Low
Bright Eyes
Built to Spill
Badly Drawn Boy
Early Day Miners

I've got an idea. Let's play this game where we look at each other's music preferences and suggest bands they might like.

Quote:

radiohead
neutral milk hotel
sufjan stevens
the shins
the pixies

Modest Mouse
The Arcade Fire
The Stills
Snow Patrol
Low
Tool

Quote:

The Offspring

Bad Religion
Lagwagon
Pennywise
Bigwig
Dead Kennedys
The Descendants

OK, this post is long enough for now.
Posted by: Kosh

Re: Your music - 04/20/06 02:43 PM

Anybody ever listened to Within Temptation? The singer (woman) has a really great voice. Found them a few days ago, through the site Borrek gave. Great site.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Your music - 04/20/06 09:59 PM

Quote by ROTL -

Quote:

Bright Eyes

*retching sounds*

I'm sorry......the singer for Bright Eyes......just awful. That guy sings like I play drums. (hint: not good)
Posted by: jc4199

Re: Your music - 04/20/06 11:14 PM

I am game for almost anything. Love Queen and the Police.
Right now I cant get enough of yngwie malmsteen he rocks a mean guitar
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Your music - 04/21/06 12:04 AM

What I liked per decade:

70's
----
Beatles
Aerosmith
Yes
Van Halen
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Boston
Cheap Trick
Foreigner
AC/DC
The Cars
Pink Floyd
Rush & Blondie launched me into the 80's

80's
----
The Police
Tom Petty
Jefferson Starship
Bill Squier (lol..and I'm admitting it)
Cure
The Motels
Scorpions
Art of Noise
Robert Cray
Depeche Mode
U2
ZZ Top
The Smiths
Eric Clapton
Level 42 & Mr. Mister & Phil Collins (lame 80s spell)
R.E.M.
Smithereens
Talking Heads
Beastie Boyz launched me into the 90's

90's
----
Nirvana
Offspring
Chilli peppers
Nine Inch Nails
Fiona Apple
Soundgarden
Dave Matthews Band
Everlast
Greenday
Creed
Garbage
Enigma
Godsmack
Korn

00's
----
Tool
Perfect Circle
Disturbed
Staind
I'm old now, I just listen to the good old stuff.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Your music - 04/21/06 01:32 AM

I'll take what Ed's having!!

I thought I'd never meet another person who likes Everlast, about fricken time!!

Re: Your music - 04/21/06 07:43 PM

I notice that so far no one has mentioned "The King."

Funny that because every single person I know, put a couple of beers inside them and they can sing virtually all the words to at least one of his songs.

Bear in mind people, before you start flaming me for espousing the virtues of the late great Elvis Presley, that without him and others, none of the bands listed would even be playing "pop music."
Posted by: jc4199

Re: Your music - 04/21/06 11:41 PM

And he was a BB too
Posted by: Shouji

Re: Your music - 04/21/06 11:49 PM

70s-90s Rock
90s Rap (Mostly only Notorious B.I.G.)
SOME Christian and SOME Country
JAZZ!

Absolutely NO mainstream crap. At all.

Re: Your music - 04/22/06 12:08 AM

I'm not a fan of Elvis, though I do like a few of his songs and I have seen most of his movies. I also remember the day he died and walking with friends across a field discussing him.

I'm also not a fan of the Beatles, though again a few songs do sit out and I have seen their movies.

There are certain bands or individuals that stand out from time to time and help shape the music of tomorrow. They have many influences that allowed them to express themselves in their music. My hats off to each of these, though again I may not be a fan but they do have their place in music history.

Re: Your music - 05/02/06 04:08 AM

thanks for posting your music likes guys, I've been *cough* buying some of those records and have enjoyed it immensely... Cord - Pantera and Slayer are going to make the best Gym music I've had since Megadeth lost their ability to move me into pure red-misted rage

Re: Your music - 05/09/06 02:25 PM

Just to sort of bump this thread up a bit,

RHCP - Stadium Arcadium IN STORES TODAY!

I've been looking forward to this since about December. No joke.

Re: Your music - 07/13/06 11:41 PM

Old thread but came upon some more groups that I've found I liked from listening to Pandora. I've added "12 Stones" and "Trust Company". I've heard and seen a video by "Tupelo Honey" and they are another group I think I'll enjoy. My brother also now got me into "Hinder" and "3 Days Grace" just came out with their new album and it is awesome.

StormDragon, you got me into Crossfade so I think you may like these. For those of you not familar with Pandora you should take a look at it. ( www.pandora.com )

Pandora has added a new section called Backstage where you can search on artists or songs and if they have the permission from the record companies they will list those albums and you can listen to song clips. I have found this extremely useful as I can then decide if I want to purchase the CD or not. Plus they will list below it other similar artists that you may be interested in. Pandora rocks.
Posted by: Steel91

Re: Your music - 07/14/06 02:42 PM

I'm a big fan of classic rock, I love stuff like, (this might take awhile)

Lynyrd Skynyrd
Black Sabath
Rory Gallagher
Ted Nugent
Motley Crue
ZZTop
George Thorogood
Jethro Tull
Twisted Sister
Alice Cooper
Ozzy
Charlie Daniels
some of Hank Jr.'s stuff
AC/DC
Aerosmith
Steve Miller
Allman Bros.
Doobie Bros.
The Eagles
Led Zeppelin
Blackfoot
The Black Crowes
Guns N' Roses
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Cream
Jimi Hendrix
Metalica
Kid Rock
John Kay and SteppenWolf
Heart
Van Halen
John Mellancamp
Bad Company
Eric Clapton
Santana
The Rolling Stones
Deep Purple
Pearl Jam
Pink Floyd

Ok I think that's all. I'm not really a fan of the new rock, Jet is pretty good and the Foo Fighters are ok and so is Nickelback, thats about the only new rock I like.

Re: Your music - 07/21/06 10:21 PM

Pandoa eh? I've heard of them, but I've never heard their music, I'll check them out, maybe I'll like them. Thanks Dereck.

Re: Your music - 07/22/06 03:11 AM

Pandora ... it is a website that creates a radio station only and is not a group. However they can find more groups that you may like. Check them out and check out the bands I've listed like "12 Stones", "3 Days Grace" (Canadian Band touring with Nickleback) and "Trust Company".

Re: Your music - 07/22/06 07:03 PM

Hmm, I cou've sworn there was a band called Pandora. Oh well. I check the site anyway though.