Who's a gamer? - 04/06/06 04:38 AM

*Points to the title*

I am, and will forever be? I think so.

Anyone else?

-Taison out
Posted by: Cord

Re: Who's a gamer? - 04/06/06 05:11 AM

Always have been, always will be.
Started with the basic atari console in 1979(I think, though it could have been 1980),then a Philips G7000 then went on to Spectrum 48k, then atari ST, then sega megadrive, then PS1, then added a Nintendo 64 then Sega Dreamcast, Then pS2 then added an xbox and a gameboy advance for work

Havent gone for an xbox360 yet as I havent got the cash. Will probably wait for PS3 as a launch purchase, then get a 360 when they do the second wave price drop.

Gaming is a defining component of my life. My first dates with my now wife involved a lot of beer and endless hours of Tekken Tag. She is a major gamer too

Also my parents are keen gamers. My dad plays a mean game of Tiger woods Golf, and my friends used to come talk to my mum about how to finish Dungeon Master and Dungeon Master 2 on the Atari ST! She was an absolute Yoda on those games, and is currently finishing ICO, with a copy of Shadow of the Colossus waiting on the shelf as her next challenge
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Who's a gamer? - 04/06/06 05:37 AM

Oh Cord knows which side of the fence I sit on here!!!! My gaming tree started same as Cord's on the humble atari console (the light gun was cool!), 800XL, Sega Master System, Sega Megadrive, Amiga 500+, Amiga 1200, Playstation, various PC's and now currently loosing huge chunks of my life to PS2. Not bothering with the new Xbox360, saving my pennies for PS3.

My Dad is a PS2 owner too, loving any beat 'em up he can get his hands on!

My current game of choice at the mo, is The Godfather.....awesome!!!
Posted by: J_Pereira

Re: Who's a gamer? - 04/06/06 06:38 AM

Greetings, fellow gamers.

I'm also a PS2 addict, big fan of beat'em ups.
Currently (re)playing Resident Evil 4 - a must have for any PS2 owner; can't wait to get my hands on the next Tomb Raider ...

JP
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Who's a gamer? - 04/06/06 09:34 AM

First started playing games on a Apple 2E ... still have the floppies. Then on the Commadore 64. Of course then it was Intelevision which was cool as it was the first real game console I had. I did play a little on friends Atari and Colecovision units. Then in 1987 it was the first Nintendo unit which I still have plus about 40 games, joystick and lazer gun. I opted not to buy the robot as I thought it was stupid and wouldn't last ... and it didnt. Then it was the Play Station and from there now it is the X-Box. Too many games my friend and I are playing that we are not ready for the X-Box 360. Currently playing many war type of games like Tom Clancy games. We like to play with our own TV's and consoles so I bring my bedroom TV down (25") which my friend plays on with one unit and I play on my wide screen (46") with a other unit. Awesome ... though my wife hates it as we will start at noon and play all ends of the night. One time we played till 10:00 in the morning. 22 hours straight with some pee breaks and to grab something to eat.

Also my brother-in-law is a computer geek so he's got all of the best hardware and software. Widescreens, surround sound, a desk with 3 computers on it so you can go head to head. Amazing ... though I find too many of the games on the computer after a while make me dizzy and ill.

I don't play games to often but when I do then I'm hooked and have to finish them.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Who's a gamer? - 04/06/06 10:33 AM

Like Dereck I started off on an Apple, mine(well, my parents') was a IIGS. Had literally hundreds of games on it, heck I had a floppy with at least 50 on each side.

Never had a game system until I bought a Sega Genesis 2 years ago for $5 at a garage sale. My roommates in college had PS1, PS2, and XBox, so I got my fair share of play-time in.

But I will always be a computer gamer. Mostly FPS, right now my meager video card sits well with Medal of Honor:Allied Assault(online: CTF and Freeze Tag), working on a few others, NOLF, AvP, etc. Also love Strategy games: Age of Empires, Civilization 2, loved some of the ones on my old Apple IIGS.

Was into Diablo 2 for a while, but got burned out quickly, don't like that on online as much.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Who's a gamer? - 04/06/06 01:29 PM

I'm a game dabbler. finished RE4, mortal combat, LOTR, 007, Call of Duty and Metroid over the past 3 years...plus play smash bros and mario cart with the kids sometimes. Metroid (both) were my favorite. After I finish, I sell em back on ebay and don't play them again.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Who's a gamer? - 04/06/06 02:55 PM

Having...trouble typing...with one hand and...keeping my mech alive with...the other. Started with "Intelivision" around the same time Atari was just rolling out their basic system. I graduated to games on Tandy computer in high school back in, dare I say it, 1978 as a freshman. Then Nintendo on up. Now, my favorite games are XBOX. Leading the way is Mech Assault. Still got plenty of love for my Gamecube and PS2 but overall, diggin' my XBOX most.

Mostly 1P RPG's for me but love to kick it co-op with the little man. Got to go co-op because he can beat the pants off me in anything I play against him. He is too good for me to touch. Gaming wise, HE is the big dog!

Scottie
Posted by: Diabolic

Re: Who's a gamer? - 04/06/06 04:25 PM

Heh, I hate this subject... Brings out the gaming nerd in me =). I was a hardcore quake fan playing that for years. World of warcraft, asherons call 2, somewhere in there CIV series and final fantasy. Never really got into consoles, except to learn tekken. I used to play tekken 2 like a madman in the arcade and be there for hours with just 4 quarters taking people out in line when it first came out.

I would love to take a shot at cord in tekken heh. King, Paul, and that asian chick w/infinite combo's that looked like chung li from street fighter. Can't believe I forgot her name. Remember King's ultimate grappling combo??? That was the finisher from the start, it was like 10 combos and broke every damn bone almost.

Re: Who's a gamer? - 04/06/06 06:11 PM

Spent a lot of time in the arcades as a kid in the late 70's and a bit of the early 80's. Lost a lot of quarters doing this though we did however find many arcades that we could use "slugs" from construction sites with. Then we did the trick where you tape some string to the coin and then you could stick in however many credits you wanted just by sticking it in and pulling it out repeatedly. You just did not want to get caught doing it. Lost a lot of coin to Pac-Man, Galaga, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, etc. That is why I think the first Nintendo was so cool as they had most of these games.

Quote:

I was a hardcore quake fan playing that for years.

Ditto. Quake 2 and 3 I was hooked however at that time I only had dial up and it got to a point that those with cable had a better ping rate them me so that I would see them and shoot them but they were not even there and I was then toast. However I adaped fairly well and still could destroy many of those cable dweebs ... but eventually I opted out and did not get internet until just this October at home. Now who has time to play on-line games when I'm here?
Posted by: spoonhammer

Re: Who's a gamer? - 04/06/06 09:43 PM

I played Counter-Strike profesionally for a while. I was decent, not world class, but I earned enough in winnings to build a computer. Oh yeah, and anyone who stepped to me in Quake3, Half Life DM, DoD, or TFC I'd smash on like a fat dude falling on a cake. I was also a world class cake smasher.

A little side rant: you could be playing the greatest FPS ever made (whatever your preference, no bias here), but if you're playing it on a console, or more specifically with a controller and not a keyboard/mouse, you're seriously missing out. Flick shots pwn j00!
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Who's a gamer? - 04/09/06 03:24 PM

I am the Ultimate Gamer. Your looking at a 20th dan baby! I started at four with atari and then nintendo shortly after. Since then Ive owned the super nintendo, sega master system. Virtual Boy, Game boy, Game boy advanced, saturn, dreamcast, playstation 1and2 and xbox. I plan to get the 360 soon.I play just about all genre of games but my favorites are first person shooters and fighters.

Re: Who's a gamer? - 04/09/06 11:24 PM

The Sega Dreamcast was the bomb. That was the first unit that you could play against people over the internet, way before the X-Box or PS2. Too bad that unit never took off as it was a good unit with great graphics and playability. My brother-in-law buys everything as well and has this laying around in a closet.

Everything keeps advancing and I still look back to the 70's when pong was the cool thing to own. A console with two knobs hooked to your TV with two sticks bouncing a small blip across the screen at each other. I spent so many hours doing this ... oh the memories.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Who's a gamer? - 04/11/06 09:59 PM

first console was the n64 - supermario and goledeneye all the way!

present console is the xbox. loving call of duty right now.

i want the new tomb raider game. i wonder if it will have that elusive cheat in from the earlier gams?
Posted by: imcrazy

Re: Who's a gamer? - 04/11/06 10:46 PM

Wow I'm quite surprised at how many people are replying to this thread.

Anyhow I'm a bit of an on and off gamer, there are periods where I won't touch a game for months. Used to be a lot bigger into games, that was of course before I found martial arts and wasn't so much into biking. I probably have more fun programming games now mind you, as I am taking Computer Science at University. All started for me with the gameboy (which I got when I was 4). Ya thats right the classic grey brick.

Favourite genres would have to be RTS (Real Time Strategy) and story driven games (so for example, Adventure games like the old school point and click). Least favourites would have to be Sports games and Simulation games. Some of my favs are Age of Empires 1 and 2, Rise of Nations, Indigo Prophecy (aka Fahrenheit in Europe) and any Metal Gear Solid game.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Who's a gamer? - 04/12/06 07:47 AM

oh i should mention

long live pokemon red for the gameboy!!

anyone else love that game?