Broken Bones...

Posted by: Diabolic

Broken Bones... - 04/05/06 02:35 AM

I always like to hear what people have broken and how they broke it. Sometimes you hear great stories and sometimes it just leaves you thinking "what an idiot". Don't be shy, everyone can be an idiot sometimes.

I have only broken one bone, my upper left arm when I was 15. Riding my bike to highschool down a sidewalk coming down a hill pretty fast. A car pulls out into the crosswalk and I hit the car's front quarter panel flying completley over the car and almost onto the sidewalk on the other side. The car takes off never to be seen again. I never rode on the sidewalk again heh.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Broken Bones... - 04/05/06 10:05 AM

Broke my left arm...twice!

First time...6 years old, at a friend's house. I was climbing a tree in their backyard and jumped (not fell). Landed face down with my left arm under my chest, broke it near the elbow. I was 6 years old, of course I cried.

Second time...15 and rollerskating for the first time in 5 years. Get distracted and off-balanced (possibly pushed) by a faster skater whizzing by, fall backwards and land on the palm of my hand. Broke both bones very near the wrist, luckily it didn't injure the growth plate. I cried because I knew that I wouldn't be able to play soccer that season.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Broken Bones... - 04/05/06 10:08 AM

Just one...broken toe. The joys of parenting: no sleep, middle of the night, sick baby...BHAM...toe meets playpen.
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Broken Bones... - 04/05/06 11:22 AM

Broke my coller bone once while running, i tried to get a little edge at the finish line so i jumped and tumbled and my shoulder met the curb on an angle.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Broken Bones... - 04/05/06 01:02 PM

Broken toes are just another part of judo class... too many of them to count.

I did, however, manage to break both bones in my leg and dislocate my ankle playing basketball in college. I went up to block a shot and fell into the bleachers, where the other player came down on my leg lying across two of the bleacher seats. I was lying in the bleachers looking at the bottom of my foot as I looked past my knees.

20 years later, I re-broke the same ankle playing judo with one of my buddies.

Posted by: harlan

Re: Broken Bones... - 04/05/06 01:06 PM

Now, I thought in the GT forum that it would be non-MA related. All you bad boys of MA have too many MA related injuries. (When my teacher starts listing off the injuries I start to get ill.... ).
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Broken Bones... - 04/05/06 01:53 PM

Broken toes due to martial arts with one recently while training at a BJJ school my Instructor set me up at. This was during drills for warming up and we were shrimping across the floor when my little toe went sideways. Quietly pulled it back in pain and pretended it never happened. Competed this weekend and rebroke it ... not that it ever healed.

Broke all toes on my right foot in one swoop. Drum hoist/scale was just repair and installed. Unfortunatly they did not double check the threads on the scale part. I was moving a drum of Methanol over (around 400 lbs) when I turned the scale towards me and the thing dropped on my toes just above the steel toe. I screamed like a women (sorry women), pushed the drum off my foot and went to get help. Dropped to the floor as there was no support on the one foot. This I clearly remember on December 17, 1992.

Broke thumb when 14 playing minor league football while catching a pass. Broke collar bone also around this age playing minor league football after blocking two guys to save a touchdown. The father of the other team drove me to the hospital in his white Cadillac ... he was the CFL's Edmonton Eskimo's Quarterback and Grey Cup Champion Tom Wilkinson.

In grade 4 in the playground there was a beam that crossed two hills with cement underneath (what idiot designed this?). We used to play king of the hill and see who would be pushed off. A grade 6 jerk couldn't wait his turn so threw me to the ground from behind as I was stepping up on the beam. Broke my right wrist and arm at the same time and it looked like the letter "Z". Rushed to hospital by the school and when my mother came in the doctor had a nurse and her hold me down while he set my arm/wrist ... without pain killers. AHHHHH!

Broke nose on 3 separte occassion. Once when 12 when toboganning down a hill and I flew over the top and the tobogan smashed into my face. Then in my early 20's around 1989 during a fight on an acreage, it was 2 on 3 (I was on the 2 side) and I had my nose broken (plus stitches above my eye). I required surgery and during my healing phase a couple of week later while playing racketball, my grip left the handle and since you have a string wrapped around your wrist .... THUNK ... broke my nose again. Still suffer with a deviated septum but I'm not going back.

Split my elbow on 3 separate occassions almost a year apart. First time it was prior to a Christmas party for work and I was putting on a dress shirt and smashed elbow on the wall. Second time it was my daughter's birthday, before Christmas, and dove into the pool right where it had the incline to get shallow. Smashed elbow on bottom and it swelled up like a grapefruit and had to go to hospital. The next year at the company Christmas party a fight broke out afterwards with some rowdies (one being my friend) and elbow split open again. As it had been giving me problems all of these years I had to have it operated on to remove all of the bone splinters, shave off the edges and repair the bursa sack.

That's all I can think of for now ... but don't ask how many stitches or surgeries I've had as we don't have a thread long enough for this. If I'm not hurt ... there's something wrong.

Posted by: Borrek

Re: Broken Bones... - 04/05/06 06:31 PM

I had never broken a bone until I started hard karate training as an adult.

I'm going to pretend this is a good thing!

so far I'm at 5 ribs, many toes, a metatarsal, and a metacarpal
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Broken Bones... - 04/05/06 06:58 PM

breaking hangnails don't count.
Posted by: ADHDoka

Re: Broken Bones... - 04/07/06 07:31 AM

well at eighteen im at both arms, first in baseball at 14 running into the right fielder(it was my ball), other just being stupid and running into things, then both thumbs both skiing one 14 one 13, left pinky in basketball at 10, dislocated shoulder at 16 nose at 18, torn ankle ligament at 14 14 sucked, half a year of injuries
Posted by: Karateka13

Re: Broken Bones... - 04/07/06 04:12 PM

I've broken my right arm twice. Six months apart, more or less, when I was a toddler.

The first time I was about 2 and a 1/2. My mom was having a nightmare of a time...my older sister had just suffered a slight concussion from a fall and my mother had spent the last 24 hours in the hospital waiting for her to wake up. Thankfully there was no lasting damage and she took us both home. My father was away on a business trip so my mother was the only one taking care of us. She put me on the bed and went to get some clothes to change me. I have no idea what got over me, but I decided to flip over and--whoop--I rolled right off the bed. My mother said it was such a simple fall, she wouldn't have thought I'd gotten hurt at all if I hadn't screamed. I ended up breaking the arm above the elbow--causing my mother to rush right back to the hospital again.

(I hope I didn't scare any would-be mothers away...)

The second time I broke it is a time I actually remember the fall. I don't remember the first--I just know this from what my mother told me.

However, this is what I remember. I was about three and there were a bunch of people invited to dinner. I was on a high chair and playing with a pink plastic spoon--the kind you can get from Baskin Robbins. I remember singing and just generally having a good time. Then I remember the spoon falling from my hands, and I put my hand on the table and leaned back a little to see where it went. I pushed too far...one second, I'm looking at the spoon on the floor, the next I'm on the ground, on my back, screaming, and I remember people's shoes surrounding my head. I don't remember anything after that though, but obviously I was taken to the hospital, etc, etc.

This was a more serious break, I snapped my elbow. My parents said the first doctor who fixed it was a real jackass, he completely twisted the bone the wrong way and wrapped it loosely. A couple of days later my mother took me to the doctor who wrapped my arm the first time I broke it. (She knew something was wrong because my arm was flapping around and I was crying all the time.) When he saw the X-rays he went bonkers. I was rescheduled for another operation the next day, because my arm was already starting to heal.

But since then, thankfully, no breaks. I did sustain a hairline fracture in one of the bones in the back of my right hand from blocking a kick--but that's about it. Cool stories...
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Broken Bones... - 04/11/06 10:29 PM

never broken a bone in my life but i have 3 reasonably interesting stories where i nearly did.

1 & 2 re the same: someone falling onto my leg in a mosh pit and i could feel my knee joint about to snap. not a pleasant feeling. happened at a idlewild gig and leeds carling festival.

3: fell/lauched about 15 feet into the air after the tree swing me and some friends made a school snapped in mid air. i landed with the circle of iron we used for a handle wrapped in my arm at an alkward angle. it swelled up nicley for about a week though.

i pu my lack of breakages and unclimactic stories down to the 1-3 pints of milk a day (on cereal) i've consumed over the last 12 years.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Broken Bones... - 04/12/06 12:32 AM

Count yourself lucky ... I literally drink a 4 litre jug of milk (1 gallon) a day and I still seem to break things.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Broken Bones... - 04/12/06 07:59 AM

i'm trying to work out how many shredded wheat and sugar that would take me too consume.

4(litres) X 1 .75(pints in a litre) = 7

3(number of shredded wheat eaten in a pint of milk) X 7 = 21

damn i max out at 18 shredded wheat. i'd have to do the last three before bed.