Muay Thai training and Kickboxing training

Posted by: specter

Muay Thai training and Kickboxing training - 03/30/11 12:22 PM

I've been looking to get into a kickboxing or Muay thai gym in my local area and I've been wondering something...

What's the difference between training in Muay Thai and training in Kickboxing? I know there are supposed differences and muay thai supposedly uses more elbows and knees, but is there really any significant difference? Are there general differences in what to expect from training in Muay thai and training in "kickboxing"? Or is it all based on individual gyms with no general expectation of what to expect from one style as opposed to another? I'm sure you're used to hearing this question, I'm just curious as to what I can really expect to be different, if anything, between the two.

Any information you give will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Nate
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Muay Thai training and Kickboxing training - 03/30/11 02:15 PM

The knees and elbows are big differences between MT and most kickboxing styles, but not the only ones. MT also uses leg kicks, which are not allowed in all kickboxing orgs, and MT has some limited grappling and throws, which are also generally not allowed in kickboxing.

You are correct that the individual gym will have their own rules.
Posted by: specter

Re: Muay Thai training and Kickboxing training - 03/30/11 03:55 PM

Wow, you're not even allowed to kick someone in the legs in kickboxing? Hmm... yeah, I can see how that and no throwing, grappling, kneeing or elbowing would really change the way you look at your training. OK thanks!
Posted by: matt_mcg

Re: Muay Thai training and Kickboxing training - 03/31/11 08:23 AM

Some kickboxing styles allow low kicks.

Savate positively encourages them [with shoes]. Although savate bans elbows, knees and kicks that make contact with the shin as the striking surface, rather than the foot.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Muay Thai training and Kickboxing training - 04/09/11 08:08 PM

Kickboxing is an icnredibly general term with a lot of variation, you really need to check the individual place out. Some kickboxing gyms allow leg kicks, some don't, some allow knees, most don't. It's kind of like saying Karate. whereas muay thai is very specific.