light/feathers weight boxers

Posted by: MiSt

light/feathers weight boxers - 01/06/11 01:56 PM

can anyone point me to a light/feather weight boxer who has short reach so has to use good movement to get inside i.e tyson style

cheers in advance!
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: light/feathers weight boxers - 01/06/11 05:05 PM

Rocky Juarez and Prince Naseem are both fairly short. Is this for your own amusement or are you trying to replicate movement in a boxing class? If the latter is true, don't limit yourself to smaller fighters, try and observe shorter fighters against taller opponents or opponents with larger reach advantages, regardless of the division they are in. Or if you are taking a boxing class talk to your coach!
Posted by: MiSt

Re: light/feathers weight boxers - 01/07/11 06:25 AM

well im basicly looking for styles to mimick (im fairly short with short reach), I train with my 2 flatmates (both boxers). So I try to compensate by being aggressive and getting past the jabs etc and onto the inside like Tyson did.
Posted by: rjdunn

Re: light/feathers weight boxers - 06/15/11 01:19 PM

Learn how to bob & weave effectively, learn how to torque your body into punching power (hooks will be much more effective once your on the inside), keep your hands up, learn proper footwork for getting and staying inside an opponents guard (if your familiar with the term "clinch range", that's where your going to be most effective for the type of fighting you are attempting to learn. the closer the range, the tighter the hooks, the stronger the hooks will be). Feint like you are going to try and get in close fast, then actually do it. That'll throw your opponents timing WAY off.

It doesn't hurt that many of the fighters that utilize this style of boxing are built like tanks.

Oh, you are going to take some punishment learning and using in-fighting (the style your are talking about). Tuck that chin into your chest. A glass jaw is pretty weaksauce. If not proficient, i'd work on big right overhands (if orthodox), hooks to the head, and shovel hooks. Oh, and never ever neglect the jab.

Good luck, as a fighter who prefers to abuse the jab and use my gorilla arms to stay on the outside, nothing is more frustrating to me than trying to keep shortys out of my guard. I like firing hard crosses and jab/uppercuts if i see an opponent trying to get close. Watch out for that.
Posted by: Cord

Re: light/feathers weight boxers - 07/17/11 05:51 PM

Ricky Hatton. Little guy who used excellent resiliance and superhuman workrate to bully his way inside and fight his fight 'on a postage stamp'. Only Mayweather and Pacquiao had the answer to his style and tactics, and along the way he destroyed a lot of truly great boxers with much better reaches/physical attributes. Just ask Castillo - a naturaly heavier boxer, who Hatton moved up a weight to meet- and broke 4 of his ribs with one body-shot.

If your short and stocky, Hatton is the greatest role model you could have as a fighter to learn from.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: light/feathers weight boxers - 07/19/11 03:06 AM

Alternatively you could learn some Muay Thai and start kicking their legs, won't make them happy, but it works.