World Series of Boxing - The end of "pro" boxing?

Posted by: Prizewriter

World Series of Boxing - The end of "pro" boxing? - 07/14/10 05:32 PM

The body that runs amateur boxing across the world (including the Olympics) the AIBA is starting a new World Series of Boxing this year.

It is something of a revolution in boxing: The AIBA seems to be sick of merely being seen as a "feeder" for professional boxing i.e. young boxer wins world amateur championships or Olympic gold medal, turns pro.

They are lauching the WSB that will allow amateur boxers to compete in longer rounds with no vest or head gear. There is substantial prize money involved.

The real appeal for an amateur boxer though is that they retain their "amateur" status. In other words, they fight in the WSB, get paid a lot of money, but can still represent their country in the Olympics.

Suffice to say this is causing waves in certain areas of boxing. If this works, could very well sound the death knell of "professional" boxing as we know it.

I always preferred watching amateur boxing. Many great boxers in the world, like Felix Savon, never turned pro. It could be argued that many top amateurs could rival pros in the pound for pound charts. Amateurs are rarely factored in such lists.

Interesting times ahead.

http://www.worldseriesboxing.com/homepage.aspx

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/world-s...y-98410684.html
Posted by: Taison

Re: World Series of Boxing - The end of "pro" boxing? - 07/14/10 10:09 PM

Honestly,

This could revive boxing, and kill pro boxing.

Or,

It'll backfire and kill itself.

Either way, boxing is dying and something needs to be done, so this doesn't sound too bad actually. It's a good try.

-Donnie
Posted by: VDJ

Re: World Series of Boxing - The end of "pro" boxing? - 07/17/10 02:26 PM

IMO once you start taking money, you are a pro! And really how is this different than basketball and hockey that allows pros to play in the olympics? I agree that pro boxing is lacking and some of the amateurs are much more exciting, but I also believe that MMA has put a big hurt on boxing as well.

VDJ
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: World Series of Boxing - The end of "pro" boxing? - 07/17/10 06:20 PM

Depends really.

I agree with you that they shouldn't called it "amateur" boxing. For years countries like Russia, Cuba, England and Ireland have effectively been paying their elite "amateur" boxers to stay in the vest longer. A better title for the sport might be Olympic boxing or something like that.

I follow pro boxing and pro boxing as a televised sport has been in decline (it seems) in the North America for years and well before the popular rise of MMA.

I actually think MMA might be doing boxing a favour. Guys like Anderson Silva show how much of an advantage good boxing skills (tweaked for MMA) can be in MMA. By and large most MMA forums I have been on speak positively about the noble art.

I think orgs like the UFC are giving boxing and its skillset more exposure than they've had in the last 20 years, albeit in an unintentional and round about way!
Posted by: VDJ

Re: World Series of Boxing - The end of "pro" boxing? - 07/18/10 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Prizewriter
Depends really.

I agree with you that they shouldn't called it "amateur" boxing. For years countries like Russia, Cuba, England and Ireland have effectively been paying their elite "amateur" boxers to stay in the vest longer. A better title for the sport might be Olympic boxing or something like that.

I follow pro boxing and pro boxing as a televised sport has been in decline (it seems) in the North America for years and well before the popular rise of MMA.

I actually think MMA might be doing boxing a favour. Guys like Anderson Silva show how much of an advantage good boxing skills (tweaked for MMA) can be in MMA. By and large most MMA forums I have been on speak positively about the noble art.

I think orgs like the UFC are giving boxing and its skillset more exposure than they've had in the last 20 years, albeit in an unintentional and round about way!

Agreed. The ironic thing about the UFC exposing the qualities of boxing (and other striking arts) is its creation by Master Gracie to show their INFERIORITY to his BJJ.

VDJ
Posted by: Cord

Re: World Series of Boxing - The end of "pro" boxing? - 07/19/10 02:30 AM

I dont think this will help boxing at all. It will just add yet another 'champion' to the confusing mix of weights and organisations that have damaged the sport.

If boxing seeks to strengthen itself, then it needs to simplify, not diversify further.

*Smaller associations should amalgamate, making less 'world champs' at any given time

*Rankings should be non association specific, allowing greater chance of unification bouts/undisputed champs.

*Weight classes should be widened, with some of the lighter interim weights done away with

* A top limit of 250lbs should be introduced to the Heavyweight division. All above that weight should compete for a 'super-heavyweight' belt.

Regain the athleticism and pride in the heavyweight division, and return value and meaning to the title of world champion, and the sport will be stronger for it.
Posted by: Taison

Re: World Series of Boxing - The end of "pro" boxing? - 07/19/10 04:16 AM

I remember when it was only 1 world champion.

Now Thailand has 5 different 'world champions' of who-knows-what promotions..

And they always seem to lose in Las Vegas and regain the title from some Filipino guy in Thailand. Rigged much?

-Donnie out