Muay Thai - training at two gyms

Posted by: Wishful

Muay Thai - training at two gyms - 03/15/10 08:26 PM

Hi

I have a bit of a problem and am hoping with your responses to clarify my own thoughts on what I should do about it.

I'm training Muay Thai at two different gyms. Where I live Muay Thai is relatively small (about 8 clubs in the region, 4 of which are in the area I live in) and these clubs could be seen as rivals. Not huge rivals, but rivals none the less. Last night I got called a traitor for going to the second gym. This hurt alot....and I'm wondering if the are right?

One of the gyms I train at is the place where I started learning Muay Thai. I have been there for almost 4.5 years and this is the club I have and hopefully will continue to fight for. I do like the club and the people in it MOST of the time. This is my main gym.

I started training at another club also in the same martial art. This is because:

[list]
[*]They offered more training opportunities that fitted my work schedule. I'm working really hard towards a promotion so I have done a lot of late nights. These late nights have cut into my training time at my main gym. The other gym fortunately has lunch classes I can go to.

I can't run due to a knee injury sustained from training at my main gym. I can knee, kick and all that other good stuff but running is out of the question. Also I hate bike and other cardio machines so for fitness sake I joined to get fight fit. I love hitting pads and bag and stuff so this to me was awesome since I love it so much. I did this in my lunchtimes.

Their head trainer is a former Lumpini and Ramadeen Stadium champion in two different weight grades in Thailand. His experience and knowledge is awesome. I saw training with him as a great way to learn some new things. I did learn quite a few things and already my kick have improved alot.

After 4.5 years I've seen the same drills and combos over and over again and again and again. This was an exciting opportunity to learn something new. [*]

I did plan that I would spend most lunchtimes (when not lifting weights) to be at my other gym and at nights go to my main gym. However, as eluded to above it didn't workout that way. I spent more time at the other gym and hardly any at my main one due to work commitments.

I told a couple of guys at my main one. My best 'mate' at the main gym and said I was a traitor to my face. I also think I'm being shunned by the rest of the more senior members of the gym.

I don't regret my choice to to train at the other place. I learned a lot and my fitness is in a good place. It also opened up other opportunities to train with top fighters from all around the country through seminars and workshops not offered at my main gym.

Being called a traitor bites but do you think I did something wrong?
Posted by: Taison

Re: Muay Thai - training at two gyms - 03/19/10 09:53 PM

In my opinion, when the times comes and you're in the ring; it's just you that's inside getting beaten.

I've never been a 'loyalist' to any dojo/dojang/gym because if I feel the time is right that I have to move on to persue more opportunities, then that's what I'll do.

In your case, I'm not sure if you're training for fights, but if the schedule suits you, you should stick to one that you feel most comfortable with. Sure, you'll lose one out but heck, when the time comes it's just you. The team can only help you with the training (which is a large part of fighting), so get a team that's more forgiving, more supportive and most of all you can actually have a decent talk with.

Or you can go back to your main gym, talk to the management if it's possible to arrange a lunch-time training because of their schedule clashing with yours. If no, then move on.

Food for thoughts...

-Donnie out