Pacquiao-vs-Mayweather

Posted by: MattJ

Pacquiao-vs-Mayweather - 11/24/09 01:29 PM

From this link -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersp...superfight.html

"Bob Arum and Richard Schaefer, promoters respectively of Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr, are under way with negotiations to seal the superfight between boxing's pound-for-pound kings.
The meeting of Pacquiao and Mayweather will be the biggest fight for at least a decade, and could overhaul many revenue records, with May 1 2010 the projected date of the contest, most likely in Las Vegas.

The all-time pay-per-view record is the 2.44 million buys generated by Mayweather's 2007 win against Oscar De La Hoya. It is expected that a meeting of Pacquiao and Mayweather could sell over 2.5 million pay per view buys, and gross over $100 million.

Pacquiao returns home Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, has said that all details within the negotiations will be kept confidential. Judging by the history of such affairs, it will take weeks to iron out."
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Pacquiao-vs-Mayweather - 11/26/09 12:26 PM

It's a cert to happen. Too much money to be made by all involved for it not to happen!

Can't see Pacman winning though.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Pacquiao-vs-Mayweather - 11/26/09 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Prizewriter
Can't see Pacman winning though.

Seriously!?

In my mind, Mayweather is not undefeated anyway - I had De La Hoya winning that fight.

I am not saying that Pac is favourite, I see this truly as a 50/50 fight, and it will be down to who makes, and capitalises on, mistakes, because when it comes to skill and talent, I couldnt put a pin between them.

Re: Pacquiao-vs-Mayweather - 11/26/09 04:55 PM

Pacman is still too easy to hit. He looked great against Cotto and Hatton, and the style of his victory in both bouts meant that there wasn't as much attention in the media to some of the shots he took in said bouts. He is similar to Amir Khan: superb offensive fighter with decent boxing skills, but defense is a weak area.

I don't care for his out of ring persona (though I know why he does it), but as a boxer I love watching Mayweather. He is one for the purists, hit and don't get hit, stick and move. Mayweather is strong offensively and even stronger defensively.

That said, if anyone today can wear Mayweather down, it would be the Pacman. He has a chance, but I see him as the underdog here. I've been wrong before though!
Posted by: zackie

Re: Pacquiao-vs-Mayweather - 12/07/09 12:07 PM

Pacquiao is the greatest boxer of his time
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Pacquiao-vs-Mayweather - 12/24/09 10:08 AM

Doh.

http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2009/12/23/bob-arum-mayweather-pacquiao-fight-dead/

"Top Rank promoter, Bob Arum, said that the Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight scheduled for March 13 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas "in my mind, is dead as a door nail," adding that, "we're starting to look, today, for other opponents" for Pacquiao.

At the center of the negotiating impasse is the Mayweather camp's insistence on Olympic-style drug-testing, specifically, in taking blood samples, randomly "up to and including the weigh-in the day before the fight," said Arum.

Pacquiao had agreed to random urinalysis testing at any time, said Arum. But the seven-division champion from the Philippines, believing that giving blood so close to fight time would weaken him, would supply blood only 30 days out from the fight or directly after the fight, Arum said.

"As far as I can see, nothing is going on with the fight. I really believe that this exposes the fact that Mayweather never had any intentions to do the fight," said Arum. "I don't think that I can salvage this fight because Mayweather -- the fighter on the other side -- does not want to fight, he never wanted to fight Manny Pacquiao, and he's afraid to lose."

Arum noted that Pacquiao has fought nearly a dozen times in Las Vegas, including his past six fights -- decisions over Marco Antonio Barrera and Juan Manuel Marquez, as well as knockouts of David Diaz, Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton and Cotto.

"He's passed every test that they've given. And if the extensive testing of the kind that is done in Nevada has been good enough for everybody in Nevada for 40 years, I don't see why it should change now," said Arum. "Floyd Mayweather's being coddled by sycophants like [Golden Boy Promotions CEO] Richard Schaefer, who ought to be ashamed of himself for the statements that he's made."

Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 knockouts) earned an unprecedented seventh crown in as many different weight classes when he took Miguel Cotto's WBO welerweight (147 pounds) title with a 12th-round knockout on Nov. 14.

Arum said that Pacquiao could go after an unprecedented eighth crown in as many weight divisions against New York's newly-crowned WBA titlist Yuri Foreman (28-0, eight KOs), or he could fight Mexican great Juan Manuel Marquez (50-5-1, 37 KOs) at 140 pounds, against whom Pacquiao has fought to a disputed draw and earned a disputed decision, respectively.

Another opponent, said Arum, is New York's Paulie Malignaggi (27-3, five KOs), another 140 pounder."

frown

Re: Pacquiao-vs-Mayweather - 12/26/09 08:17 AM

Still think that it will happen long term. Too much $$$ for everyone concerned for it to end up otherwise.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Pacquiao-vs-Mayweather - 12/27/09 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Prizewriter
Still think that it will happen long term. Too much $$$ for everyone concerned for it to end up otherwise.

Mayweather may say its all about the money, but his vanity and pride are at the heart of his comeback, he has more cash than he can spend in his lifetime anyway.
I honestly cant see Pac losing, and I dont think Jnr can either.
Posted by: mmaaddict

Re: Pacquiao-vs-Mayweather - 01/02/10 10:36 AM

Pacman and Mayweather fight is on the 13th March 2010. 14th here in Australia.
Posted by: motobusmonkey

Re: Pacquiao-vs-Mayweather - 01/10/10 11:10 AM

Sorry to bring this tired subject up, but I can't believe this fight is not going to happen! Pacman and Clottey is sure to be a battle, but it's not Pac vs Mayweather. It makes me sick that a drug testing window of ten days is the reason the "fight of the decade" won't happen. I put the blame on egos from both sides, but I can't imagine these guys giving up $80 million between them.

Boxing is pretty much dead to me now, I'll just watch MMA instead.