Pacquiao/Cotto *spoilers*

Posted by: MattJ

Pacquiao/Cotto *spoilers* - 11/15/09 11:29 AM

From this link here:

http://www.badlefthook.com/2009/11/15/1157821/return-of-the-king-manny-pacquiao

"Manny Pacquiao was sensational tonight in Las Vegas, knocking down Miguel Cotto twice, battering him throughout the majority of the fight, and forcing Kenny Bayless to stop the fight in the 12th round of a dominant performance, giving Pacquiao his 50th career win and arguably his most impressive.

Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KO) floored Cotto on timing shots in the third and fourth rounds, but after Cotto looked sharp, strong and fast early, he was dominated over the latter half of the fight. Pacquiao proved that there is no questioning his power at this weight, and no questioning his ability to take a good shot, either. He walked through some strong punches from Cotto (34-2, 27 KO) and seemed to barely feel them. Pacquiao, on the other hand, was able to hurt Cotto consistently.

He was faster, stronger, and better. Miguel Cotto isn't old, wasn't drained, isn't "overrated." Cotto did all he could tonight, but he was laid to waste by a superior fighter.

Pacquiao is now the WBO welterweight titleholder, the seventh weight class in which he's won a major title, the first man to ever do that.

Pacquiao's return has been rumored to be March 13, 2010, but that may move. Promoter Bob Arum had floated the idea of a Cotto-Pacquiao rematch if it was a great fight. It was an entertaining fight, and a masterful performance from Pacquiao, but it was not a great fight, and a rematch would be useless. There was no doubt. Cotto was pulled out of the fight by referee Kenny Bayless almost as soon as he was hit hard one time by Pacquiao in the 12th.

Bayless, unlike Cotto's corner, protected the fighter. Cotto was on his bike most of the latter rounds, straight-up running from Pacquiao. He was demoralized and in some ways embarrassed. His pride took a hit tonight. Cotto showed clear fear of Pacquiao in many rounds, and there's no disputing that.

Manny Pacquiao is a fighter unlike any other in the world.

There will be much more tomorrow, perhaps tonight, and in the coming week. But is there any other fight besides Pacquiao-Mayweather now? As Pacquiao avoided the question of having a preference for his next opponent, the public will respond: Floyd Mayweather Jr.

There is no other fight for either man."

video here (copy and paste):

http://www.mmatko.com/manny-pacquiao-vs-miguel-cotto-fight-video-%e2%80%93-boxing/
Posted by: Cord

Re: Pacquiao/Cotto *spoilers* - 11/16/09 01:00 PM

No disrespect to Cotto, but I would have been shocked if it had gone any other way.

At this weight, there are 3 guys who have yet to meet in any combination that I would be interested in seeing, and thats Mayweather, Pac, and Mosely.

The others are just not relevant at the moment.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Pacquiao/Cotto *spoilers* - 11/16/09 01:10 PM

I'd much rather see Pac and Mosely... but I don't think either camp would be willing to give up top billing (aka more money) to the other figher. So, Maywhether is probably the next stop.
JMHO
Posted by: Cord

Re: Pacquiao/Cotto *spoilers* - 11/17/09 08:14 AM

Originally Posted By: JMWcorwin
I'd much rather see Pac and Mosely... but I don't think either camp would be willing to give up top billing (aka more money) to the other figher. So, Maywhether is probably the next stop.
JMHO

Actually, Mosely may be in with a better shot at Pac than you think.

Manny is famously hard when it comes to negotiating percentages in his contracts. He may give most of it away, but by gum he makes sure he gets a lot to be generous with.
As a 7 weight champ, with no layoffs and being considered the 'active' P4P king, he will want the lions share, and top billing. 'Money' Mayweather might not like that.

Mosely, on the other hand, would be more likely to agree to a Pacquiao contract, as he has everything to gain from the possibility of fighting Manny, whilst Mayweather has everything to lose.

For arguments sake, lets say Mosely beats Pac, that sets up Mayweather vs Mosely, an in-house Golden Boy promoted fight. Money, money money wink

If Mayweather lost that, then he still has a very bankable non-championship 'what if' fight with Pac on the table, with a fair deck regarding negotiations.

If Floyd beats Mosely, then he can offer Pac a shot at the belt whilst holding all the cards.

Anyway you look at it, this route sees 2 big paydays per boxer, instead of just 1.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Pacquiao/Cotto *spoilers* - 11/17/09 01:03 PM

Hope you're right on that one. I went to the same HS as Mosely just a few years prior and my wife is Philippino... so it would make for an interesting fight at our place anyway. wink
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Pacquiao/Cotto *spoilers* - 11/19/09 12:32 PM

Pac man is amazing. I'm not so shcoked that he KO'd Cooto but that after the 4th round how he totally dominated the fight. I assume that Cotto felt that after he hit Manny that Pac man would be on the run or out, but that only fired him up and Pac Man ate him up ending it in the 12th round.

Amazing watchout Money Mayweather!!
Posted by: zackie

Re: Pacquiao/Cotto *spoilers* - 12/07/09 12:16 PM

For the first time in boxing history a boxer retained a 7 world titles