Muay Boran and Muay Thai

Posted by: SifuHax

Muay Boran and Muay Thai - 08/19/09 06:25 PM

Hey Strikers,

I searched for my answer but I couldn't find it on these forums. Perhaps, one of you can help. I want to know what are the major theoretical and applicable differences between Muay Boran and Muay Thai.

I only read that MB was the original and was very popular but fell out of style due to MT being so much easier and quicker to learn.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Muay Boran and Muay Thai - 08/21/09 09:49 AM

I have been told by Grumbleweed (forum member), who lived in Thailand for some time, that Muay Boran is/was taught in some schools out there, as sort of cultural/history lesson as well as PE.
I am pretty sure that Muay Boran includes weapon work, such as short swords, staffs, etc.
Taison is probably the guy to ask about this. Worth sending him PM if he doesnt find this thread smile
Posted by: grumbleweed

Re: Muay Boran and Muay Thai - 08/22/09 04:05 PM

Krabi Krabong i think i told you of being part of PE/history in some Thai schools. My ex learned this at 'high school'....worrying thought hahaha!
Posted by: yodmuaythai

Re: Muay Boran and Muay Thai - 10/28/09 10:52 AM

Muay Thai boran is original Muay Thai. It have more technique and arms more than current Muay Thai. Muay Thai Boran is an unarmed Martial art. In case Thai fighter use weapon such as long sword, we call Krabi-Krabong Martial art. The past, Thai fighter praticed 2 martial arts Muay Thai and Krabi-Krabong before battle field. You can see more information Mauy Thai boran and some technique by super star Tony Jaa as link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muay_Boran

http://topkingmuaythai.com/amazing-thailand/
Posted by: Ninja Master

Re: Muay Boran and Muay Thai - 01/04/10 01:52 AM

Muay Boran is less realistic and the training places too much control on the way the fighter must move. Less freedom = less capability.

Muay Thai is very free. The strikes are steriotypical, but you can really do them in whatever way you want. Most importantly, Muay Thai has very little aspect of a stance/or particular way to stand. The fighter has a lot of freedom within the style to work on his own personal skills.

For example, a Muay Thai fighter can bust out a back spinning kick straight out of Tae Kwon Do without any real disruption to his style. In Muay Boran, however, this would be breaking a series of "critical" rules/principles in stance and movement.