Arturo Gatti dead

Posted by: MattJ

Arturo Gatti dead - 07/11/09 10:12 PM

Terrible news! Gatti was one of my favorite boxers.

http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2009/07/11/arturo-gatti-found-dead-in-hotel-room/
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Arturo Gatti dead - 07/11/09 10:47 PM

Something weird there...
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Arturo Gatti dead - 07/12/09 01:28 AM

This is sad, sad, news, he was a hell of a boxer, he may not have been the greatest but he fought for the crowds, he put on a hell of a show every time he stepped into that ring. This man showed a lot of heart. While not being my favorite boxer, I was a very big fan of his, I watched every HBO fight he participated in. I hope they catch the killer(s). This just isn't right.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Arturo Gatti dead - 07/12/09 05:01 AM

That is shocking. Very sad to hear that, my thoughts and best wishes to his family and friends.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Arturo Gatti dead - 07/12/09 06:27 AM

Gutted frown Gatti was one of those 'blood n guts' fighters that define the sport. His 'wars' with Ward are every bit as immortal as any 'rumble' or 'thriller' , and he will surely be remembered in the same breath as other great peoples champions such as Duran, Hatton, and Pacquiao.

RIP
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Arturo Gatti dead - 07/13/09 12:14 PM

The police think Gatti's wife may have strangled him?!!?

http://www.fanhouse.com/news/fighting/police-accuse-arturo-gattis-wife/567331

"Police said 23-year-old Amanda Rodrigues was taken into custody after contradictions in her interrogation and presented a formal accusation against her. Prosecutors will later decide whether she will be charged.

Rodrigues, who denies any involvement in her husband's death, was the first to find the slain boxer's body early Saturday inside the vacation apartment they were renting at the Porto de Galinhas resort in northeastern Brazil, police said.

The former junior welterweight champion was apparently strangled with the strap of a purse, which was found at the scene with blood stains, said Milena Saraiva, a spokeswoman for the Pernambuco state civil police. She told The Associated Press that the Canadian also sustained a head injury.Police said Rodrigues, a Brazilian, could not explain how she spent nearly 10 hours inside the residence without noticing that Gatti was already dead."
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Arturo Gatti dead - 07/17/09 07:01 PM

Theres something wrong with this story. A two time champ gets done in by his WIFE!? Takes hudreds of blows per fight, gets strangled by the little lady? Dont think so.

Regardless of how he died, its a tragic loss.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Arturo Gatti dead - 07/21/09 07:47 AM

A garrote applies immense pressure with minimum effort, and will cut bllod supply to the brain much quicker, and from greater bodily distance than an RNC. If she applied it from behind, then it would only take 3-6 seconds till he was KO'd, then she could sustain the lack of oxygen at her leisure.

Then there is the possibility that it was applied consensualy in love play that went wrong.

Any way you look at it, its very possible that she could overpower him if she picked her moment correctly.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Arturo Gatti dead - 08/13/09 12:11 AM

Sure, I suppose thats possible but did/does she have any kind of training that would give here that skill? And though its possible, it still sounds rather far fetched to me.

Having been choked hundreds of time, by hundreds of opponents ive never gone down that fast, and every one of my opponents were stronger than the average 135 pound woman. The physical upper ody strength alone i would think would be enough to simply power out of any grappling move she could have put on him, unless it was the suggested "Love Strangle" in which case he probably put up no fight at all grin

Then again, Ive noticed that on the brink of unconsciousness, I personally become more aggressive, in an effort to not "go under".

Strange either way