Back in the saddle

Posted by: Cord

Back in the saddle - 06/01/09 07:06 PM

Anyone who knows me on this site knows two things: 1. I have an opinion on everything, and 2. I have not been actively involved in MA training for the best part of 2 years.

Well, without boring all with the trials and tribulations of my life, sufficeth to say that recent events in the family have led me to realise that life is too short to put off things that you want to do, and you should make the most of oportunity while you are able.

Such homespun philosophy is what pushed my a$$ through the door of my Savate club tonight for the first time in too long.

The reaction was one of suprise from those who remembered me ('I thought you must have relocated/died/went to jail'), but all seemed happy to see me.

Differences were apparent within the 1st 10 minutes of the class. With the club having become more involved in competition, the atmosphere was more focussed- still friendly, but more intense, and much more contact, even in drills. Suits me Encouragingly, even with the layoff, my conditioning stood me in good stead, and I was feeling pretty good during the 1st 3/4 of the class, cocky, even, as I was experiencing a wave of 'like riding a bike' style recall, and techniques were flowing better than they had a right to.

What changed in the final 1/4 of the class? A bloke called Raffa, thats what. I got paired up with him, and was casualy informed by our instructor that he was 2 weeks away from competing at the Savate 'combat' (full contact,no protective gear) world championships in Serbia.
I was advised to ask him to ease up if he was too heavy handed/footed.

'fair enough' I thought, and we got stuck in - this was still not full sparring, rather response drills with controlled contact, and thank goodness for that!! We had a blast (great guy), and trying to raise my game even enough to be of some use as a training partner for him really pushed me harder than I had been pushed in any previous savate class.
Out of my depth, and loving it

So here I sit, with bruises everywhere, DOMS already assaulting every muscle in my body, and ears buzzing from a very good kick to the head.

Its good to be back
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Back in the saddle - 06/01/09 08:37 PM

Excellent, my man. Nothing like going out of the frying pan and into the fire - championship competition! Being out of the element is a terrifying feeling, but knowing that you got through it? Priceless.

Enjoy.
Posted by: TheCrab

Re: Back in the saddle - 06/01/09 10:20 PM

its great isnt it?
haha

Strange as it is, theres nothing better than getting the sh*t kicked out of you at training I reckon. As long as its fun
Posted by: Taison

Re: Back in the saddle - 06/01/09 11:09 PM

Welcome back Cord,

I'm coming back soon too! Just got this project to finish, and here I come gym and MA world again.

~Donnie out
Posted by: matt_mcg

Re: Back in the saddle - 06/02/09 09:18 AM

Nice one cord.

[I've fought the same chap in assaut competition. No idea if he reads this forum, but hi Raf (if he does)]
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Back in the saddle - 06/02/09 10:26 AM

Feels good to get back in the gym doesn't it. There is a fighter there competing in World Championships? Must be a great gym. I would love to here more about the training.
Posted by: matt_mcg

Re: Back in the saddle - 06/02/09 10:40 AM

bo-ken,

Nearly all of the UK clubs have people competing in the assaut (controlled contact) competitions at World level. I think in recent years (and I'm not an expert) quite a few of them have done pretty well, too.

Combat (full-contact savate) isn't big in the UK, though, generally. I don't think there's a huge list of people clamouring to do it, either!
Posted by: Cord

Re: Back in the saddle - 06/02/09 03:36 PM

Quote:

Combat (full-contact savate) isn't big in the UK, though, generally. I don't think there's a huge list of people clamouring to do it, either!

No, and I think you would have to be out of your tiny mind to let anyone kick you full force in the head with those damned boots!!

We had a chap a few years ago, who was an english champ in Muay Thai, who crosstrained and went to the world Savate champs. in France, to compete in 'combat'. He was TKO'd in the 2nd round, as his lead leg just stopped working completely! All that Muay Thai conditioning could do nothing to prevent the horrible soft tissue damage to the inside and outside of the knee by hardened boots.

Re. Raf, that is the first time I have met, or partnered with him, but he was mustard by my standards - fantastic footwork, and some real power. I think he has the tools to do the business, and I sure as hell dont want to play with the guy who kicks his a$$ if it happens