Boxing: Light Sparrign Video

Posted by: ChronicGMV

Boxing: Light Sparrign Video - 01/21/09 01:12 PM

I haven't been here in so long but I remembered this place back when I was doing Karate and had gotten some tips from this site. Now I switched over to boxing and was hoping to get some criticism on a lgiht spar. I know I have a lot of holes which is why I'd be glad to hear what you all have to say..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYMqcj_oRt8
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Boxing: Light Sparrign Video - 01/21/09 01:27 PM

Long time no see, Chronic!

No youtube at work, but I'll check it out later when I get home.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Boxing: Light Sparrign Video - 01/21/09 04:37 PM

I am presumimg you are the guy in grey?
If you are the guy in red, then you are looking pretty sharp

Advice for the grey guy: Get up on your toes a bit more, and bend at the knees a bit more- you are a bit upright and 'stiff'. By turning your legs into 'springs' you will move around a bit better. Also, widen your stance a bit- the coordination of your foot movement looks ok to me, you just need to start drawing more power from your legs.

Combined with this is body/head movement- see how easily the red guy evaded with bob and weave when in range- thats the sort of thing you need to work on in your shadow boxing- even doing rounds where you dont throw a punch.

The red guy is not perfect though, and this leads me to the next point- learn to spot repeat patterns in your oponent. The red guy was ducking in a counter clockwise semi circle over 90% of the time. If you had spotted that, and adapted to a 3 punch combo of Jab-cross- left hook at rib height, you would have landed on the button of his chin every time.
People who repeat evasion like that have it ingrained, and he would, over time, have become much easier to pick off.

Next point: Nothing wrong with being a defensive or backfoor fighter- if your evasion and countering is good. Grey guys, frankly, isnt. He would have been better taking the initiative, and peppering in 4 or 5 shot, largely straight, combo's, switching from head to body within the chain. Not much would have necessarily landed, but it would have removed red guys ability to set up what he was going to do so easily. Pressure = mistakes.

Good stuff though. Loosen up, get a bit more used to being hit and grey guy will be just fine

Re: Boxing: Light Sparrign Video - 01/21/09 10:09 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome Matt! I appreciate it

And I'm actually the guy in the red. lol. I know I'm a young padawong. Thank you for pointing out my pattern. I hadn't realzied it so I will begin to work on dodging in a more unorthodox way. I appreciate your critcism
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: Boxing: Light Sparrign Video - 01/24/09 06:38 AM

im not going to read anyone else comments just say this

stay on the inside more, inside and your reach
your moving onto the his reach -> outside to much

if your working the inside that is especially against taller fighters

nice stuff want to see more intent though if you boxed with me id have you on the ropes on the inside or on the end of my jab

the start of some good movement there, id say still a bigginer as you can see some of your movment still has a way to go also when he rushed you, you didnt keep your base, press up against him like a bull even if he is bigger

looks like some nice light sparring good for working out distance, timing, tactics and ring craft i do this all the time its a vital part of sparring to go at this speed people forget about the different levels of sparring.

timing looked good just some advice mix up your timing on those jabs etc...

Re: Boxing: Light Sparrign Video - 01/24/09 10:18 AM

Just got to watch it. Chronic, you look pretty sharp. Good guard, and I like the form on the hooks - tight, and right over the opponent's shoulder. A bit tough to gauge aggressiveness, since you were obviously going light with each other. But overall, looked good.

Thanks for sharing!

Re: Boxing: Light Sparrign Video - 01/24/09 11:49 PM

Wow I love this place. You guys never cease to amaze me with how helpful you all are! Thanks a lot for all the advice and kind words!

I also have two other videos I would like criticism on as well. A heavy bag video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toy41O4PUYw&feature=channel_page

and a shadow boxing and defense drill video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izBU8PuLzUs&feature=channel_page

I would really love advice/tips on how I should work the bag. I feel empty a lot of the tiems I work the bag as if I'm doing it wrong

Re: Boxing: Light Sparrign Video - 01/25/09 12:35 AM

Not much I can say on the bag video. Good power and speed. Even getting some good head movement in there, too. I like the 1-2 bob weave action. Very nice.
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: Boxing: Light Sparrign Video - 01/25/09 06:46 AM

chronic your throwing your body into those bodyshots by hoping off the ground @ 1:20, you should keep your body planted firmly to the floor and drive with your feet, same with the right hook on a few occasions. same with what i said about losing your base when he rushed you your sending in flying puches lol.

id like to see you work the jab more,

id like to see you throw more combos after the bobbing and weaving remember sometimes encounters can last 5-10-15 seconds, at the moment your just combo- bob a weave or bob and weave combo, make combo- bob and weave- comobo- bob and weave

your movment is a bit stiff when your back off at times but that comes with experience,

try a straight right or jabs to the body dont limit it to shovel hooks.

best way to work the bag is belive its your opponant, relax think im going to tag him, think im going to feint the bag with this then work his ribs on the inside. back off and pretend to dodge a shot on the way in and lean up aginst it, parry and upercut hook- your on the outside again start jabbing- right cross to the body hes backed up move in right cross left hook. working the bag is an art at first it might seem boring i agree but you will learn to love it hope iv given you some ideas and try to work the mindset in all aspects of your boxing.

shadow boxing:

movment here looks alot better, jab needs to be faster though! remember no power and maximum speed tense at the end unless its a power jab

good to see some upercuts with hooks on the end, my fav on the inside

just some advice that has helped me, experiment with different boxing styles and counter -> offence combinations etc..

work on your guard, 80% of the guys at my club cant hit me, what does that mean? i just sit there looking for big openings and capitalising on them. solid guard is 50% of the game no point coming forward if your going to get tagged. work some sparring sessions where you just work your defence and a lengthy jab.

try to relax as much as possible but not so much that your sacrificing your reflexes, this is one of the hardest things to do took me about 2 years to get this and its stil improving. this way you dont waste excess energy and learn when to use your power.

be smart, let the other guy wear himself out in the first round, evade him, block all his shot, let him tense up all the time. do whatever it takes and look for his weaknesses, if he drops his right feint jab, left hook right body shot.

find combos which work at a high sucess rate for you, your comftable with and you can land well.

work on closing the distance on your opponant at weird intervals to get close quick and upset there timing and rhythem.

all in all you have strength and weaknesses but looking sharp bro! id take take a guess you have been boxing under a year. give it another 2 and you will be alot more polished and i see potential for a good fighter!

Re: Boxing: Light Sparrign Video - 01/25/09 09:50 AM

Thanks for all the help! But I also need help with something else.. Sorry for being such a pest.. lol

Anytime I throw punches to the head (besides the jab), I've been told constantly that I stand too straight up and I need to sit down but the problem is.. Whenever i throw those punches it feels like they literally are taking me off the ground. Does that mean I have weak legs? If so how do I make them stronger so I'm not thrown off balance like that? Or maybe it's just my balance? Please tell me how to sit down more because i really feel that's my biggest problem. I try to stay down but it's so hard

Re: Boxing: Light Sparrign Video - 01/25/09 09:53 AM

Remember how I talked about reading an oponent? On the heavy bag video, you are developing a 'tell' that you must break before it follows you into the ring.
Every time you are about to strike the bag, you bring your gloves up to touch your cheeks as a 'set up' for the combo.
That is some major telegraphing, and will make things really hard work for you against an oponent.

I would also recommend a higher workrate on the bag- a good way to do this is to decide on a 2 punch combo, and stick to it for 1 minute, in that time, you can work around the bag and focus on foot/body movement, whilst knowing what punches you will throw- makes things more fluid. 2nd minute add 1 punch to make it a fixed 3 punch combo. 3rd minute it becomes a 4 punch combo.

Round 2, build from 4 up to 6 punches.

Round 3, build from 6 to 8 punches

Round 4- free technique, lower intensity.

Just my suggestion.

Re: Boxing: Light Sparrign Video - 01/25/09 10:06 AM

Thanks for the advice Cord. I had also begun to notice i gestured my fists before beginning an attack. I'm gonna work on keeping them tucked beneathe my eyes from now on and attack from there. And thanks for the bag drill. I hadn't thought of that and i did feel i was too patient on the bag. I really appreciate the advice. I'll be working this tomorrow as soon as I'm in the gym
Posted by: Kravinatrix

Re: Boxing: Light Sparrign Video - 01/25/09 02:42 PM

Looks very light.
First time i sparred boxing it was much faster and harder.

Re: Boxing: Light Sparrign Video - 01/25/09 03:45 PM

Quote:

Looks very light.

1. It is in a thread called 'light sparring'

2. Your first sparring felt harder and faster to you, but there is no way of knowing what it looked like to an outside observer- when you watch nascar, you have all the time in the world to track those cars around the course, but if you were doing 200 in one, you can bet it would be a more intense experience

3. Are you in any way trying to be constructive, or do you just want to tell people you think you were better?

Re: Boxing: Light Sparrign Video - 01/25/09 04:05 PM

Quote:

Looks very light.

Re: Boxing: Light Sparrign Video - 01/27/09 10:31 PM

Yikes.. Sorry for not going all types of Mike Tyson anal in a light sparring match...

Re: Boxing: Light Sparrign Video - 01/27/09 10:48 PM

Quote:

Mike Tyson anal

No.1 in the list of things that should never, ever, be typed into a search engine