Khan vs Barrera

Posted by: trevek

Khan vs Barrera - 01/18/09 12:03 PM

Can someone tell me I've woken up and it is April 1st.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/16012009/58/khan-fight-men-arena.html
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Khan vs Barrera - 01/18/09 02:19 PM

I heard this on the radio on the way home from work. I was glad no one was in the car with me, as I let out a yelp of disbelief. It just popped out when I heard this.

This is a HUGE risk for Khan. Khan has only had one fight since being knocked out.

Barrera may not be what he once was, but he is very experienced and has fought a far far higher level than Khan. Barrera lost on points to Manny Pacquaio less than 18 months ago at the division below lightweight.

It will be an interesting fight, that is for sure. If Khan wins, he will be back on track again. If he loses, his career will be in tatters. Two losses in less than a year will be a big blow for Khan.

The only thing is is that I haven't seen Barrera since the Pacquaio fight. He stopped a journeyman last year in his first comeback fight at lightweight, but I don't know how good he still is.

We will find out soon enough.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Khan vs Barrera - 01/18/09 05:42 PM

Khan looked great in his 'comeback' fight, and he has all the tools and talent in the world, but this is a HUGE step up in class for him.

Barrera may be past his best, but lets not forget that is best was one of the all time bests, so even if he is 80% of what he was in his prime, he is going to be a real test.

Khan will have to box a traditional, high guard, and be patient enough to take the fight into the later rounds. If he tries his low guard flashy stuff, Barrera will not fall for it- remember what he did to Nas?

I personaly think that Khan is a better boxer than Naseem ever could have been, and i think, no matter what happens in this fight, the exposure and experience will do him a lot of good.

Re: Khan vs Barrera - 01/19/09 04:13 AM

I think Khan is a good boxer (for what MY opinion is worth) but I do wonder if this is more of an attempt to fast-track him again after his defeat.

I think it will be a great experience/learning curve for him but a defeat would really slow him down and scupper all this 'youngest champion' hype which some people ar encouraging him in.

The lad does seem to have a good head on his shoulders and will benefit from it either way. Just not sure he's ready. Mind you, every other top UK fighter seems to be chasing ageing legnds, so why not Amir?
Posted by: Cord

Re: Khan vs Barrera - 01/19/09 04:52 AM

Quote:

I think Khan is a good boxer (for what MY opinion is worth) but I do wonder if this is more of an attempt to fast-track him again after his defeat.

It definately is a move to re establish him as a young contender, though i dont think its necessary as he will undoubtedly reach the world stage with or without this fight.

Quote:

I think it will be a great experience/learning curve for him but a defeat would really slow him down and scupper all this 'youngest champion' hype which some people ar encouraging him in.

He is going into this fight as the underdog, and, in some ways, its a risk free proposition, much the same way as Hatton fighting Mayweather was a risk free move. Its big money, and if you lose, as long as you put up a fight, there is no shame, as you lose to a legend, and your rep is untainted.

Quote:

Mind you, every other top UK fighter seems to be chasing ageing legnds, so why not Amir?

Not fair. Hatton is up against Pacquiao this year, who is very much on form.

Haye is gunning for the Klitchko's, who are undoubtedly the best opposition available.

Calzaghe beat Hopkins and Jones Jnr, who may be at the end of their careers, but, at 37, after over a decade as a champ, so is Calzaghe, so it was an even playing field. You should also ask Pavlik if Hopkins is a spent force. Pavlik is the guy Calzaghe was supposed to be 'avoiding' remember?

Re: Khan vs Barrera - 01/19/09 07:17 AM

Quote:

Not fair.

Life aint fair. My armchair sprung a spring. How can I box with such an armchair?