Jones/Calzaghe *SPOILER*

Posted by: MattJ

Jones/Calzaghe *SPOILER* - 11/09/08 09:46 AM

From AOL:

http://sports.aol.com/fighting/story/_a/...5730x1200835130

Quote:

The popular undefeated Welshman overcame a first-round knockdown to beat Roy Jones Jr. in a bloody one-sided unanimous decision Saturday night, delighting a raucous crowd at Madison Square Garden that seemed to be heavily in his favor.
After winning a close decision over savvy veteran Bernard Hopkins in April, Calzaghe has little left to prove on boxing's biggest stage, and few can fault him if he follows fellow British star Lennox Lewis into retirement at his peak.
"This year I just beat two legends, with Hopkins and Jones, and I came to the United States to do it," Calzaghe said. "I took the risk. They didn't come to me. I took the risk."
With blazing hand speed and a constant push forward, Calzaghe (46-0) opened a deep gash over Jones' left eye in the seventh round, forcing the ringside doctor to take a close look at it. The bout was allowed to continue, blood flowing down Jones' face, but it hardly mattered after that.
"Super" Joe indeed looked super.
All three judges scored the light heavyweight fight 118-109 for Calzaghe, as did The Associated Press, every round going to him after the first.
"The pitter-pats were harder than I thought," said Jones, who couldn't see out of his left eye in the later rounds. "I don't know. He won the fight. He definitely won the fight."
The numbers certainly back it up.
Calzaghe threw a staggering 985 punches, landing 344 of them, to just 475 for Jones, according to CompuBox statistics. The number landed by Calzaghe was the most by a Jones opponent in 31 fights tracked by CompuBox.

I have to admit I was somewhat surprised. I did not figure that Calzaghe would be able to avoid Jones' hooks - especially after seeing him get dropped by one inthe first round. I do wonder what the outcome would have beem if Roy had been in his prime, but it is what it is.

Props to Calzaghe! Cord must be doing backflips and cartwheels now, LOL.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Jones/Calzaghe *SPOILER* - 11/26/08 09:36 AM

sorry for the late reply, still not online regularly. Yes, it was awesome

A couple of points.
1. The 'in his prime' question is moot, as Calzaghe is 37 and not in his prime either. Had they met a few years ago, the outcome would have been the same, because Calzaghe is a ring general, and calls the shots in regards to pace and style of fight. His punches are harder than they look (no oponent has accused him of 'slapping' after they have fought, only before), and he is deadly accurate with them. Look at What he reduced Hopkins to in their fight, then look how good Hopkins looked destroying Pavlik afterwards. The difference was in what he was dealing with.

2. The 'hook' that floored Joe in the first was a forearm smash- check the replay.

Whilst I am on the British queensbury rules flag waving soap box, how about some love for David Haye, destroying Barrett in 3, but the bell keeping him in there till the 5th. Dealt with him much more easily than Klitchko or Valuev managed.

Then lets talk about Ricky Hatton humiliating that gobby idiot Paulie Malignaggi. Ricky's short time with Mayweather Snr. has been used to remind him of how to jab, slip and move. It was Malignaggi who was spoiling and hanging on for dear life in the face of Hatton's jab and ranged work. Outboxed, overwhelmed and pulled out in the 11th for his own safety. Some people should make sure they fight better than they talk.

British boxing fans are entering christmas very, very happy
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Jones/Calzaghe *SPOILER* - 11/26/08 09:44 AM

Yeah, Hatton did a great job from what I saw. The British are coming! The British are coming!
Posted by: Cord

Re: Jones/Calzaghe *SPOILER* - 11/26/08 09:49 AM

Nah, Santa is coming. When it comes to Boxing, the Brits are already here- have been for years, you guys just cant ignore it anymore