Your FAVOURITE Boxer...

Posted by: Prizewriter

Your FAVOURITE Boxer... - 10/10/08 12:53 PM

Just for fun...

Who is your all time favourite boxer? The rules are simple:

i) This is not who you think THE BEST P4P boxer is, it is simply who your favourite boxer for whatever reason you can come up with.
ii) Please state why you like them.
iii) Give a brief background if you like, and a clip if you can.
iv) And just to be mean, ONE CHOICE ONLY!!!!!

If this is successful, this could maybe be considered for a sticky please?
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Your FAVOURITE Boxer... - 10/10/08 01:05 PM

After much deliberation, my choice is Pernell Whitaker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G5v_PNsl4Q

Whitaker was an Olympic gold medalist and multiple weight world champion. He was a class act in the ring. Like manys a successful sportsmen, he had his troubles outside his profession, but in the ring, he was nigh on untouchable (literally), even in his latter years.

I picked him because he for me demonstrates the true meaning of boxing: To hit and not be hit, with emphasis on the latter.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Your FAVOURITE Boxer... - 10/10/08 05:04 PM

jeezus Prize, that is just f*cking mean

OK, I have a million boxing hero's, but, if you push me into just one, of all time, to this point........

Joe Calzaghe.

Accuracy, workrate, heart, footwork, reading of an oponent, record, truth to his roots, tenacity, class, modesty.

Unsurpassed.
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: Your FAVOURITE Boxer... - 10/10/08 06:37 PM

My favorite boxer is Jake LaMotta simply because there was a film based around him starring Robert De nero called 'Raging Bull' - set in the Bronx NY.

directed by Martin Scorsese. its a great film im sure some of you have seen it.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Your FAVOURITE Boxer... - 10/11/08 09:37 AM

Thomas Hearns.

He was the epitome of outboxing.

He also had freaky long arms and hit damn hard for someone that skinny.

Tom,
My wife's from Ubon. Going there this month for my wedding.

~Donnie
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Your FAVOURITE Boxer... - 10/12/08 06:20 AM

"The Manassa Mauler" Jack Dempsey. Pretty much the originator of bobbing and weaving, he was fast, powerful, aggressive, tough as nails, amazingly good defensively, and had heart like few others. Quite a few knockouts as well, even against much bigger fighters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmaPxa-eZss

Re: Your FAVOURITE Boxer... - 10/12/08 06:29 AM

Quick thread hijack, who do you guys think had better head movement and bobbing and weaving skills: Jack Dempsey, Joe Frazier, or Mike Tyson?
Posted by: Cord

Re: Your FAVOURITE Boxer... - 10/12/08 10:24 AM

Quote:

Quick thread hijack, who do you guys think had better head movement and bobbing and weaving skills: Jack Dempsey, Joe Frazier, or Mike Tyson?

'better' is a tricky one to define. They all moved effectively.

Tyson is one of the only boxers to have been successful at using his short stature to his advantage, ducking and weaving his way into short range to do damage to the skyscrapers he fought. It was this movement that was destroyed during his time in prison- his power is probably still there even today, but his legs and movement, he left in his cell.

Having said that, what he had to 'evade' was not exactly the epitome of speed and agility- he was a force during the heavyweight division's transition from big and fit to lumbering sideshow. Frazier and Dempsey were dealing with opponents with a far higher workrate.

So all told, for footwork and head/body movement, out of Tyson, Frazier and Dempsey, the best in my opinion was.....

Ali

Re: Your FAVOURITE Boxer... - 10/12/08 07:10 PM

I think Dempsey had equally effective head movement and bob and weave skills, however he also movied his entire torso back and forth and around whereas Tyson was a little more simple with his movements and staight on, and Dempsey fought from a deeper crouch which I think made him an odd guy to fight. He could move back and real low and then spring back real fast with a flurry. Tyson seems more along the lines of, move straight in-slip the punches and unload. Dempsey utilized angles better basically imo. However tended to leave himself wide open although that may have been for drawing punches but he ate a few good jabs in some of his fights, for example against Firpo.

Dempsey today would have a lot of problems due to overly 'nice' refs. I think that would be his biggest setback.
Really, I think Joe Frazier was closest to Dempsey than any others in terms of style, Dempsey being a bit ligthwer and faster. Now thats an interesting matchup, Frazier vs. Tyson.
Posted by: pathfinder7195

Re: Your FAVOURITE Boxer... - 10/12/08 08:31 PM

Julio Cesar Chavez. 108 wins, 6 losses, 2 draws, with 87 ko's.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Your FAVOURITE Boxer... - 10/13/08 02:58 PM

I think Nigel Benn. Perhaps it's just cos I saw a lot of his matches on TV but I always remember his fights as exciting and all-out.
Posted by: Ilove2Hit

Re: Your FAVOURITE Boxer... - 10/13/08 06:57 PM

my fav. boxer (kickboxer) is Michael Kuhr. lol

he is my favourite one because i met him in person in berlin and he is an amazing buy. he told me a few great things about life. great teacher!

he is also veeerryyy funny. here 2 videos

this one is in german. but veeryyy funny. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DMZ-5wlpOM

and here a compilation that shows his skills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJWVciHpg6o&feature=related

is is supposed to be some kind of "the funniest german kickboxing doormen and security guy in the world" here in germany.

lol.