Amirs KO

Posted by: creative

Amirs KO - 09/11/08 07:12 AM

Anyone watch the fight, What did you think? Did you have time to think lol? Is it the lesson he needs to keep his hand up or should he have learned that already after his previous knock downs?

Anyway, lets hope he's back in the ring soon.
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: Amirs KO - 09/11/08 08:21 AM

I missed the Fight, gutted. I wanted to see this since he came into the highlights, In Boxing I believe a Boxer doesn't make it until he's had a defeat. Now if he recovers and goes to win the Titles he's after then my full respect to him. I just hope its not another Prince Naseem subject. Naseem was a really good boxer until he had his defeat, after that he disappeared from the media, shame.

Come on Amir, get over the defeat and get winning again with real fights/opponents (everyone I've spoken to, regards to Amirs fights, recons his fights were already 'decided upon' before they stepped into the ring.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Amirs KO - 09/11/08 08:38 AM

Quote:

Anyone watch the fight, What did you think? Did you have time to think lol? Is it the lesson he needs to keep his hand up or should he have learned that already after his previous knock downs?

Anyway, lets hope he's back in the ring soon.

As soon as I heard he had dropped Ingle as his trainer in search of improvement, my heart sank. That is a sure sign of a young man who wants to blame his weaknesses on others, and not look to help himself.

Fact: Khan has felt the weight of expectation to live up to a dream and a marketing plan enforced upon him. This led to him taking unnecessary risks to find the 'highlight reel', and so hampered his learning the craft of professional boxing.

Fact: To take a huge step up in class with a brand new trainer was folly, that can be blamed directly on Frank Warren looking ahead to fat paydays.

Fact: Now that the unbeaten run is over, the hype will settle, Warren will back off as there is no way a World title shot will come his way for at least 18 months now. With the media train resting at the station, Khan can now learn to box without the pressures he has faced outside the ring.

Fact: Providing he can bounce back mentaly (I think he will- lets face it he is famous for losing an olympic final), then the next phase of Khan's career will show him much improved.

If it were down to me, I would re-instate Ingle, develop the mentor position McGuigan has had with the lad, and get him away from Warren and into the Golden Boy Camp as soon as possible.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Amirs KO - 09/11/08 09:37 AM

Ditto!

Khan was a gentlemen minutes after the fight. In the interview after the fight he said that he'd made a mistake and got caught, end of. No excuses, no bitching just an admission that he'd played the wrong game. He even said that he needs to go back to the gym and go back to the drawing board. That my friends is the talk of a champ. As Cord said the media will leave him alone now and he can concentrate on becoming the refined boxer that he has the raw talent to become. For me the identifying factor was that that after the first knock down he got straight back up despite being out of his box. To quote the late Rocky Marciano when asked why he got up after being knocked down he said, "Because I didn't know what else to do!". Khan is 21 and has super skillz with a capital Z. Given the right track to the top and sensible progressive fights I think he'll be something very special.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Amirs KO - 09/11/08 11:44 AM

Dobbersky - (everyone I've spoken to, regards to Amirs fights, recons his fights were already 'decided upon' before they stepped into the ring.)

I'm not sure if that was the case Khan was decked three times by light punchers before they matched him with the Columbinan that knocked him out. He should have stayed kneeling to the count of 8 the 1st time down, to give him more chance of recovering. This is the fault of his trainers, not practicing this in the gym. You have to practice worse case scenoiros.

His next fight will determine his future.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Amirs KO - 09/11/08 12:59 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure if that was the case Khan was decked three times by light punchers before they matched him with the Columbinan that knocked him out. He should have stayed kneeling to the count of 8 the 1st time down, to give him more chance of recovering. This is the fault of his trainers, not practicing this in the gym. You have to practice worse case scenoiros.

Neko, did you see the punches that put him down for the 1st knockdown? They 'folded' him. It was a miracle he got up to take a count, and had it been any other fighter, the ref would have waved it off during the 8 count. Warren has a lot invested in Khan, and with a capacity partisan crowd, he was given his 8 count, but kneeling or not, he was done.
The second knockdown should never have been allowed to happen, but as it was, it was a full on KO.

lets not forget that the Columbian is a genuine prospect also, with a 20 undefeated, 18 by KO record. Its not like he lost to a bum.

Quote:

He is 21 years old! He will undoubtedly lose again in his career at somepoint, no disgrace in that- plenty of all time greats with more than 1 loss on their record.

Khan has the potential, he just needs to escape the hype and become the boxer he can be.
Posted by: creative

Re: Amirs KO - 09/12/08 09:43 AM

Quote:

Neko, did you see the punches that put him down for the 1st knockdown? They 'folded' him. It was a miracle he got up to take a count, and had it been any other fighter, the ref would have waved it off during the 8 count. Warren has a lot invested in Khan, and with a capacity partisan crowd, he was given his 8 count, but kneeling or not, he was done.
The second knockdown should never have been allowed to happen, but as it was, it was a full on KO.

I'll second that. Why did they keep it going? Perhaps it was because he'd been put down in his previous fights and got back up to win. But not put down like that!

Quote:

Quote:

He is 21 years old! He will undoubtedly lose again in his career at somepoint, no disgrace in that- plenty of all time greats with more than 1 loss on their record.

Khan has the potential, he just needs to escape the hype and become the boxer he can be.

lol. Again with cord here, he's got a few miles left in him yet!

Have noticed of late that he has perhaps got a bit of over confidence that boxers tend to develop, that's why i was a bit disappointed when I heard he'd changed coaches, always seems to be a bad move! Anyway hope all goes well for him and he gets to the top.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Amirs KO - 09/12/08 01:13 PM

While it's obviously a big shame for Khan and his fans, I can't help but feel that a quick knockout in the first round, is a much better way to have your first defeat, than 8 rounds of being out-classed.